Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my take on it - and as a non-engineer, it's not obvious to me so I'm seeking some confirmation:

I think the point of Smart Charging is to control the rate charged on charging a vehicle. This means metering on time of kwH's or some other means. Utilities offer off-hour reduced rates, and electing to utilize these can mean saving money when you wake up with a charged car as opposed to charging any time you like. In exchange, the utility can in many cases access and control the demand at your charger.

What I'm seeing mostly is that many utilities aren't really here yet. Most of the apps I've looked at aim to put you in the role of making your home charger a public charger you can charge others to use. I'm not so keen on that presently. Mostly, I'm looking for the reduced rates for home charging. With a new ID4 and a new Smart Charger and a utility that's not talking to the charger's protocol at present, I think I've got a DUMB smart charger (for now).

I believe there's a way to set up charging times in the Car-Net or in the Infotainment screen, but I haven't found it yet.
Anyone else? Thanks!

·
249 Posts
One of the reasons that I’ve ordered a dumb charger. We don’t have net metering and the fee is the same regardless of the time. I plan to just plug it in at eleven or so before I go to bed. Not enough electric vehicles in my neighborhood to worry about someone mooching off of my level 2.

·
22 Posts
Here's my take on it - and as a non-engineer, it's not obvious to me so I'm seeking some confirmation:

I think the point of Smart Charging is to control the rate charged on charging a vehicle. This means metering on time of kwH's or some other means. Utilities offer off-hour reduced rates, and electing to utilize these can mean saving money when you wake up with a charged car as opposed to charging any time you like. In exchange, the utility can in many cases access and control the demand at your charger.

What I'm seeing mostly is that many utilities aren't really here yet. Most of the apps I've looked at aim to put you in the role of making your home charger a public charger you can charge others to use. I'm not so keen on that presently. Mostly, I'm looking for the reduced rates for home charging. With a new ID4 and a new Smart Charger and a utility that's not talking to the charger's protocol at present, I think I've got a DUMB smart charger (for now).

I believe there's a way to set up charging times in the Car-Net or in the Infotainment screen, but I haven't found it yet.
Anyone else? Thanks!
Nothing in Car-Net (useless), but when you add a location you can add 3-4 different charging times but it doesn't work too well since I haven't found out how to override the charging times. You can also set the SOC instant (0-50% which charges regardless of time) and then timed charging up to 100% SOC. Nothing seems to work for me and I have little hope that it will get solved so unfortunately I may need to change my bullet-proof Clipper Creek EVSE for a smart charger possibly something with juice-net or other options that allow to minimize emissions or sell demand response services which although just starting out is something that will eventually be main stream

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Nothing in Car-Net (useless), but when you add a location you can add 3-4 different charging times but it doesn't work too well since I haven't found out how to override the charging times. You can also set the SOC instant (0-50% which charges regardless of time) and then timed charging up to 100% SOC. Nothing seems to work for me and I have little hope that it will get solved so unfortunately I may need to change my bullet-proof Clipper Creek EVSE for a smart charger possibly something with juice-net or other options that allow to minimize emissions or sell demand response services which although just starting out is something that will eventually be main stream
Agreed, the delayed charging does not work for anybody who has tried it. There is much discussion and documentation of the problems here: vwidtalk.com/threads/id-4-charging-issues-without-specific-faults-resolutions.1647/

VW is aware of the problem - it has been logged via their technical assistance process through their dealers.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I may need to change my bullet-proof Clipper Creek EVSE for a smart charger possibly
I'd suggest a programmable timer before switching out EVSEs.

This is just an example so my suggestion is clear, but find one with the correct receptacle and amp rating (I am neither endorsing nor suggesting this brand; merely chose the first that came up as an example): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CVSSVWP

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I do the same, as we know scheduled charging is currently not working properly. Actually I don't have any off-peak programs available with my electric utility unless I change plans which is not overall advantageous for me. But I still believe in off-peak charging just to help the infrastructure a bit.

A "dumb" EVSE is sufficient as the vehicle itself has all the smarts necessary. Effectively the same as plugging in a dryer.
But I'm really not dismayed that I installed a ChargePoint Flex last November, as I got tax year 2020 credit and it's a well regarded quality item. Plus their App provides some data logging.

You could use an ol' school 220V time clock in the circuit, or its modern digital equivalent. But as you cite low chance of mooching. ;)
One of the reasons that I’ve ordered a dumb charger. We don’t have net metering and the fee is the same regardless of the time. I plan to just plug it in at eleven or so before I go to bed. Not enough electric vehicles in my neighborhood to worry about someone mooching off of my level 2.

·
5 Posts
Agreed, the delayed charging does not work for anybody who has tried it. There is much discussion and documentation of the problems here: vwidtalk.com/threads/id-4-charging-issues-without-specific-faults-resolutions.1647/

VW is aware of the problem - it has been logged via their technical assistance process through their dealers.
Only did it once but it did work for me. Plugged the car in with 60% battery around 9-10pm and at some point between 11pm and 7am it charged up to 80%. I had the departure time set as 7am. This was on a 32a L2 home charger.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Only did it once but it did work for me. Plugged the car in with 60% battery around 9-10pm and at some point between 11pm and 7am it charged up to 80%. I had the departure time set as 7am. This was on a 32a L2 home charger.
I also experienced about a 20% increase in SOC once. I don't think that anybody has reported delayed charging working properly (without a weight on the driver's seat) when trying to increase SOC by about 50% (e.g., 30% start and 80% finish).

·
5 Posts
I also experienced about a 20% increase in SOC once. I don't think that anybody has reported delayed charging working properly (without a weight on the driver's seat) when trying to increase SOC by about 50% (e.g., 30% start and 80% finish).
Aw that's disappointing that it doesn't work when you need to charge more. Could it be something with the immediate charge setting?

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. Hope VW will fix it. My utility DOES offer Time-of-day rates. But the most attractive rate is a mix of standard rates plus EV charging rate. My EVSE doesn't qualify yet, but if they add it to their program.... and I called both the utility and the charging company - and one day it may.... then we'll be good. In the meantime, VW can fix it's own bit.

·
5 Posts
Well the second time I tried charing from 60-80% it only went up to 70%. I guess for now I'll just have to do the annoying step of remembering to plug it in after 11pm.

·
11 Posts
Having to get up to plug in the car at midnight? Seriously! I wish I got a Tesla or waited for the Ionic-5. The simplist function for EVs and it doesn't work on the new VW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts