Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
3 Posts
Hey Everyone, I'm a little later to the game but I just reserved a Blue Dusk Metallic Pro S on New Year's Eve. First EV, but have been thinking about it for a long time. I share some of the same anxieties as others who may have cancelled their reservations, but I expect to have them whenever the switch to and EV would happen. The tipping point for me was reading a survey of EV drivers where only 1% said they would switch back to ICE.

I'm curious if anything has progressed for those of you who reserved as early as September? My confirmation email defines the next steps, but I have not idea as far as a time-frame, or if I should even expect it this year. I'm sure it will also be different for those of you with September reservations and me, but still wondering. Is anyone beyond the "Reservation Confirmed" step? If so, what has the timing between steps been like?

·
250 Posts
None of the folks who have the PRO model have received request for the next step, which is the $400 deposit.

·
21 Posts
Based on comments on this forum, it sounds like everyone who reserved an FE have moved to the next step ($400 deposit) but no one else has. This makes sense, since the FE will get here first. The unanswered question is whether it will be 2 months or 2 minutes ahead of the Pro.

I suspect that the semi-circular "meter" on the owners' portal page is pure marketing blather. Yes, it shows when your order is locked (i.e., $400 paid) but I don't expect the meter to move again until the car is at the dealer. And maybe not even then.

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
I suspect that the semi-circular "meter" on the owners' portal page is pure marketing blather. Yes, it shows when your order is locked (i.e., $400 paid) but I don't expect the meter to move again until the car is at the dealer. And maybe not even then.
You’re likely quite right for the first couple of batches. I’m thinking the meter presages the future experience where ordering, building and delivery will be a much more fluid affair.

·
21 Posts
You’re likely quite right for the first couple of batches. I’m thinking the meter presages the future experience where ordering, building and delivery will be a much more fluid affair.
I hope you're right. If it were an accurate depiction of the status of your order, it would be a really nice feature. But, for several years, the VW website has left me cold. 98% style, 2% content.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
Note that we who just yesterday migrated to the extended-FE ordering offer have not as yet locked in with $400 payment either, just a reservation. Will be interesting to see how long that takes, website meter or no. ;)

Welcome to all recent joins to this forum. I believe you'll find we have a wealth of information and very considerate and helpful members. Enjoy the adventure.

·
220 Posts
Based on comments on this forum, it sounds like everyone who reserved an FE have moved to the next step ($400 deposit) but no one else has. This makes sense, since the FE will get here first. The unanswered question is whether it will be 2 months or 2 minutes ahead of the Pro.

I think the meter will move in a meaningful way. I was probably one of the first 100 1st reservations, before the morning VW reservation system crash. We were told many times that first 1st deliveries might be as early as December, 2020 for ZEV states, but then it is said VW moved those reservation slots to Europe for legal reasons to minimize VW legal fines/fees/costs (COVID would have been more understandable and forgivable).

It has always been the case (since summer, 2019) that the VW reps are very friendly and responsive, but we all got many different stories on delivery over the months. I think the most credible replies I heard were that 1st deliveries had moved to late March, but to happen before the end of Q1, with PRO versions to follow after March, and AWD last. Supposedly, when I left off, reps were saying the system was being upgraded to show delivery progress from the $400 payment through shipping and final delivery. (BTW, all 1st reservations got all of the email "blasts" on the same day, sent at the same time. I think we are a relatively small group as VW worldwide sales go.). I have not talked with VW since about November, 2020.

My guess (WAG) is that now that some of us cancellations have come back after considering other models (Ford, Mach-E for me), we will receive our vehicles within weeks of the early reservations. There were only 2,000 to 2,700 original US 1st (varied over reports), so with cancellations and the new reservations, my guess (more WAG) is the total is under 5,000, possibly well under 5,000 1st for the US.

VW claimed they were going to honor order of reservation, but from 2,000 to probably less than 5,000, I doubt that is a very long period, probably weeks at most; we shall see. One of their LNG car ships carries thousands (?) of vehicles.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
339 Posts
Zwickau has 2 lines with annual capacity of 330,000 vehicles. If the US FE builds are run on a single line, they would probably complete assembly in about 12 days. FWIW, the two LNG vessels have a capacity of 4,800 vehicles.

I'm betting on the FE run staring by end of January with near simultaneous deliveries across the US around the previously noted March 8 date.

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
My guess (WAG) is that now that some of us cancellations have come back after considering other models (Ford, Mach-E for me), we will receive our vehicles within weeks of the early reservations. There were only 2,000 to 2,700 original US 1st (varied over reports), so with cancellations and the new reservations, my guess (more WAG) is the total is under 5,000, possibly well under 5,000 1st for the US
My gut feeling is you're quite right with this. I'd put the number at 3500 as a wild guess. Or maybe close to the 4800 an LNG vessel holds...

81 - 100 of 102 Posts