Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Who's the target audience, and why will this appeal to them?
Our target is environmentally conscious but values practical sophistication. In the U.S., EVs have largely been sold as either a status symbol (elite) or a virtue signal (eco). People in the market for a compact SUV have really never had an affordable electric option. Volkswagen wanted to make electric mobility more approachable to more people. Unlike other car brands, Volkswagen isn't taking a pre-existing chassis and putting an electric motor in it, but delivering on affordable quality for everyone. The brand has created an entirely new platform built from the ground up. Our creative approach was to purposely build each device used in the film from scratch as a nod to the level of craft and consideration that goes into VW's engineering.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was a waste of time and money. It didn't even show off the car well.
VW advertising has never really been about the car. This doesn't really come close to being memorable, like "The Force" was.

Yeah, but do they have a new logo?
Yes, VW has a new logo.

·
127 Posts
You can see the car all over the internet (especially YouTube) so commercials don't really need to show the car that much now. I think car commercials are now able to become a lot more creative and create that initial interest so that people will go online and look into it further.

I don't know if maybe it is because I am female or another reason, but I find most car commercials completely uninteresting. To have a quick story or interesting animation peaks my interest a lot more than just showing off the vehicle. If we go back to the video that was posted months ago that announced the ID.4 to the dealerships, we saw that they were conscious in that the ID.4 may bring in more women than men. If it is a people's car then I think that is a good strategy to help women become more interested in the EV world.

·
135 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when Nissan introduced it's Infiniti Q45 in competition with Lexus LS400. It's ads were Japanese minimalist with rocks and water, but no car. Nissan lost that competition and many judged it to be a result of their ad campaign. I thought the Q45 was superior and bought one. VHS v. Betamax redux.

·
44 Posts
You can see the car all over the internet (especially YouTube) so commercials don't really need to show the car that much now. I think car commercials are now able to become a lot more creative and create that initial interest so that people will go online and look into it further.

I don't know if maybe it is because I am female or another reason, but I find most car commercials completely uninteresting. To have a quick story or interesting animation peaks my interest a lot more than just showing off the vehicle. If we go back to the video that was posted months ago that announced the ID.4 to the dealerships, we saw that they were conscious in that the ID.4 may bring in more women than men. If it is a people's car then I think that is a good strategy to help women become more interested in the EV world.
I totally agree. I though the add was very creative and well done.

·
30 Posts
I work in animation and posted this to one of my feeds. All my animator friends loved it.

But as a car commercial, meh... it doesn't really work.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
224 Posts
The commercial is more about changing folks mindsets from ICE to EV in I think a nice evolutionary series of animations. But then I'm a bit of a history buff in addition to engineer. Once the consumer starts to think this way VW presents the ID.4 as a viable choice. I think it's cleaver marketing but only if presented once in awhile.
Reminds me a bit of the 1984 Macintosh computer Super Bowl ad (shown only once but then picked up by many news outlets). It was more about an Orwellian mindset as well. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts