Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
My car is now "arriving in the us"! For those expecting a change soon.. here is what I know: VW had 2 LNG boats commissioned specifically to deliver their EV models. The boats are the Siem Confucius and the Siem Aristotle. This does not mean that they aren't using other boats. But, my timeline at least corroborates the idea. Aristotle is currently in port in Germany. Confucius is currently off the shore from Jacksonville, FL which is the closest port to my home in Alabama. So, if you are expecting a car that will be coming from Houston and have been in the "leaving the factory" status for a few weeks then your car is probably also on the Confucius! 馃 If you recently got a "leaving the factory" status (less than a week or so) then your car is probably on the Aristotle. The planned route is Germany - Nova Scotia - Rhode Island - Maryland - Florida - Texas. I hope this helps some of the other impatient people like me!

My car is now "arriving in the us"! For those expecting a change soon.. here is what I know: VW had 2 LNG boats commissioned specifically to deliver their EV models. The boats are the Siem Confucius and the Siem Aristotle. This does not mean that they aren't using other boats. But, my timeline at least corroborates the idea. Aristotle is currently in port in Germany. Confucius is currently off the shore from Jacksonville, FL which is the closest port to my home in Alabama. So, if you are expecting a car that will be coming from Houston and have been in the "leaving the factory" status for a few weeks then your car is probably also on the Confucius! 馃 If you recently got a "leaving the factory" status (less than a week or so) then your car is probably on the Aristotle. The planned route is Germany - Nova Scotia - Rhode Island - Maryland - Florida - Texas. I hope this helps some of the other impatient people like me!
I believe mine is on the Confucius. It鈥檚 been delayed to April 11 to Houston now. I presume my wheel will turn when it makes Houston.

I hope your positive logic means my recent 鈥渓eaving factory鈥 Pro S is on the Aristotle and will reach its first US stop on the 19th. I am waiting in San Diego which means I have to wait for the Houston stop. I wonder how much longer that adds to the journey from the 19th?

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I hope your positive logic means my recent 鈥渓eaving factory鈥 Pro S is on the Aristotle and will reach its first US stop on the 19th. I am waiting in San Diego which means I have to wait for the Houston stop. I wonder how much longer that adds to the journey from the 19th?
I went from 5 to 6 today, 12 days after 5 happened, which was presumably when my car cleared customs in Houston and was released to VW.
Still waiting to hear from my dealer.

Proud FE owner
I went from 5 to 6 today, 12 days after 5 happened, which was presumably when my car cleared customs in Houston and was released to VW.
Still waiting to hear from my dealer.
6 was when my ID.4's truck departed Houston. It was five days to Seattle. Get your signing hand warmed up!

I鈥檓 still at Step 4 for about a month now. I鈥檓 seriously considering cancelling my FE pre order. I was hoping that if it shows up soon that it might change my mind. But maybe the delay is a sign for me to just wait for the AWD version.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
I almost canceled my prior vehicle when it got hung up in Port-Customs after a similar long duration wait, so I do empathize (turned out in my case to be dealer error in not computer assigning as "owned" and therefore a lower transport priority).
Try to divorce the frustration-emotion and revisit why you pre-ordered in the first place. Does it still make logical sense for you? Does it still check all your blocks?
The FE is I believe an excellent value, reinforced in my now 3-weeks+ of ownership, and also has that nice touch of being "1st." It's not like it's going to be the first VW Beetle ... but maybe. ;)
I still don't think I need AWD btw.
I鈥檓 still at Step 4 for about a month now. I鈥檓 seriously considering cancelling my FE pre-order. I was hoping that if it shows up soon that it might change my mind. But maybe the delay is a sign for me to just wait for the AWD version.

It depends on how many stops. But around 2 weeks to Houston from the first stop.

FE Blue - picked up March 19
6 was when my ID.4's truck departed Houston. It was five days to Seattle. Get your signing hand warmed up!
Yes same for me, it seemed to be when it was on a truck from Baltimore to Durham, NC. It was at the dealer the next day.

There looks to be 8 boats moving ID.4's to the US. It also appears that no ID.4's are being off loaded in Jacksonville, FL.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
When I ordered a Ford Flex back in 2012 (built in Oakville, Ontario), I ordered April 18, got a VIN assigned May 24 and a build week assigned of June 11, with a bunch of waiting in between.

But once it rolled out the door of the assembly plant and to the transportation yard, it was so cool... I had a source on the Flex forum who gave me access to an internal Ford tracker website, and I could "watch" my new car make its way across the midwest on a rail car, "passing" checkpoints, change from Canadian National to Union Pacific, arriving at "intermediate points' and "junctions," all the way up to loading onto a truck at the nearby terminal in Benicia. I still have a KML file on Google Earth that I can pull up with all the locations pinned along the route it took. Most location names weren't easily searchable cities or towns, but railroad sidings or yards where I believe the train stopped briefly to drop or pick up railroad cars, or change crews.

Maybe this wouldn't be as dramatic with an ID.4 delivery as they're either on slow ships "somewhere" on the Atlantic, or on faster rolling trucks, with fewer places to check in and no junctions. Yet still, in VW parlance, "It's what the people want."

I got to step 5 today! I haven鈥檛 checked in a couple of days, so I missed step 4 altogether. Not sure what my ETA is after that, but should be soon!

Reactions: Huey52

I wish VW would do tracking like UPS/FedEx/USPS, etc. Every vehicle has a bar code that is scanned along the way and it would be simple to send some form of that scan to those who have ordered. It is all in a computer. Easy peasy.
VW is well-aware of where every car is, at every stage -- it's a matter of making that information available. My spouse works in logistics; every single item is tracked from offshore production, to shipping, to delivery.

Discussion Starter #18
There looks to be 8 boats moving ID.4's to the US. It also appears that no ID.4's are being off loaded in Jacksonville, FL.
Dang, the timing seemed so right! But, my wheel of impatience is still stuck on "arrived in the US". At most I would guess a week to get from the farthest port (Baltimore) to my dealership (Dothan, AL). ... and the wait continues! 馃馃 I'll cross my fingers for a quick land transit.

2021 Pro-S
I鈥檓 still at Step 4 for about a month now. I鈥檓 seriously considering cancelling my FE pre order. I was hoping that if it shows up soon that it might change my mind. But maybe the delay is a sign for me to just wait for the AWD version.
All orders that reach step 4 take an additional 5-7 weeks. You have less than a month to go and have already waited this long, so why bail out now?

Dang, the timing seemed so right! But, my wheel of impatience is still stuck on "arrived in the US". At most I would guess a week to get from the farthest port (Baltimore) to my dealership (Dothan, AL). ... and the wait continues! 馃馃 I'll cross my fingers for a quick land transit.
Since you are closer to Houston than Baltimore, I suspect your vehicle is coming into Houston. Siem Cicero is due into Houston Monday afternoon, maybe your ID is on that ship. If it is, it will then be 2-3 weeks to get to you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts