Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
373 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Red
185 Posts
Cargo vs Cd & range?
Well ... the key engineering metrics affecting range are weight, drag coefficient and frontal area. And car makers almost never announce frontal area. I still don't know the official frontal area for the ID.4. I'm guessing 2.45 square meters for the ID.4 and I'd make the same guess for the ID.5, as it looks about the same as the ID.4 from the front.

If we guess that the ID.5 achieves the same drag coefficient as the ID.3, that could buy the ID.5 10 more miles of range than the ID.4. We could gain an additional 10 miles if the ID.5 could drop 200 kg of weight compared to the ID.4. I might like 20 more miles of range in exchange for some lost cargo space and what I'd find to be a slightly less attractive body style. But I'm expecting more like 5-10 more miles of range out of the ID.5.

·
8 Posts
VW sent out this sort media advisory on the world premiere.

Media advisory: World premiere of Volkswagen ID.5 SUV coupe and ID.5 GTX
Nov 2, 2021

Herndon, VA — Volkswagen AG will introduce its ID.5 and GTX on November 3rd.

The Volkswagen ID.5 is the first fully electric SUV coupe from Volkswagen, designed as a top-of-the-line model that is based on Volkswagen’s pioneering modular electric drive matrix. The model will be launched in Europe.

U.S. media interested in ID.5 and ID.5 GTX materials should access the Volkswagen AG Newsroom: materials will be able from 10 am CET.

An ID.5 / ID.5 GTX reveal film will be accessible on Volkswagen AG Newsroom stream from 2.00 pm CET.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
From your second link: "They are equipped with new hardware and the brand new software generation 3.0."
What new hardware? I am really curious now. And debuting with 3.0 SW makes me think we will skip the 2.3 update and go straight to 3.0, as some have mused about here previously.

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The highlights of the
Media advisory: World premiere of Volkswagen ID.5 SUV coupe and ID.5 GTX
Nov 2, 2021

Herndon, VA — Volkswagen AG will introduce its ID.5 and GTX on November 3rd.

The Volkswagen ID.5 is the first fully electric SUV coupe from Volkswagen, designed as a top-of-the-line model that is based on Volkswagen’s pioneering modular electric drive matrix. The model will be launched in Europe.

U.S. media interested in ID.5 and ID.5 GTX materials should access the Volkswagen AG Newsroom: materials will be able from 10 am CET.

An ID.5 / ID.5 GTX reveal film will be accessible on Volkswagen AG Newsroom stream from 2.00 pm CET.
Thanks for the links

·
13 Posts
135kW charging and 29 minutes 5-80%
Auto lane change for the Travel Assist
Vehicle to Load capability
Version 3.0 software

It's not clear if any of this will be made available to 2021 ID4s in the USA.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
169 Posts
135kW charging and 29 minutes 5-80%
Auto lane change for the Travel Assist
Vehicle to Load capability
Version 3.0 software

It's not clear if any of this will be made available to 2021 ID4s in the USA.
Version 3.0 is definitely coming to all ID cars as well as the 135kW charging enhancement. Travel Assist auto lane change (and Park Train auto parking) require enhanced sensors which will be arriving in the ID.5 timeframe to the best of my knowledge; not sure if already sold cars can be upgraded or not (probably not). That leaves bi-directional charging - not sure if there was new hardware installed to support this.

·
2 Posts
When Audi made a Sportback version of the original e-Tron, it lost range… so who knows? (Here’s a link that confirms the Sportback loses 4 miles of range compared to its long-roofed sibling, in case, like me, you would assume the Sportback would do better in the range dept: https://www.kbb.com/comparison/2022-audi-e-tron-sportback-vs-2022-polestar-2/)
Aerodynamics are interesting and sometimes counter intuitive. I watched a documentary on Carol Shelby where his head designer created a new body shape vs the cobra and increased top speed substantially. He used an old, french design book that dealt with the rear shape of the car. Wondering if this is similar. Thanks for the link.

·
25 Posts
One thing I don't understand are the comments about how this car is pointless because it's an ID.4 without the benefit of the trunk storage space.

We have to remember that form over function is always relevant. Style is just as much an appeal as actual function. People still buy sedans, right? Sedans with similar passenger space, have less functional trunk storage (I have a Jetta GLI), so I know. But I can see how people would opt for this ID.5, since it does have a nice sportier design, with the possible benefit of range improvement.

The only thing I would criticize VW on, is not making some interior design changes/queues to set it apart form the ID.4.

·
8 Posts
If I were to upgrade from the ID4 I would wait for ID6 that has much increased mileage, more cameras, more sensors. Will allow parking features and Auto lane change. However they must increase time of hands off the wheel to make any of this useful. I'm sorley disappointed in the ID4. Enough to keep me from buying another VW EV or ICE. VW needs to learn they must talk to their customers. Give them answers good or bad. I'm tired of hearing what's enhanced in Europe but not the USA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts