Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ID4 owners.

I am the "happy" owner of a ID4 1st Max - and currently the EV has been almost as much at the workshop than in my garage.

Issue is that while charging ( 11kw homecharger) the battery cooling / heatpump runs with intervals througout the charge cycle.

It will idle for 2-3 minutes then run almost spot-on 60 seconds, then a 2-3 minute break and full 60 seconds again and again and again.

The workshop is baffled, the factory has never heard about it before. I have driven less than 400km in it and already its been 3 days at the dealer.

They said the had a reference model charging next to it - and that didnt have the issue.

Any fellow owners experience something similar?

Its kept in a a garage that varies in temperature from 10-20 degrees celsius - so that shouldnt be the issue for such a prolonged period.

Thank you for any enligttment

·
98 Posts
Do you have a departure time set? If not have you tried that? Any of the "usual" fixes tried like a full reboot or factory reset?

How about the charging lock pin issue posted on this forum by a few folks? I could see a bad connection maybe causing what you are seeing.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No charging scedule set for departure or anything of that sort - just all fancyness disabled - pure charging - no pre-heating or cooling set. I must look up the charging lock pin issue - not sure what that is.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope thats not the issue with the pin. Its the thermal system going on and off non-stop during charging.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
It would seem to be heat pump related and since we don't [yet] have same in the USA you'll be best availed of fellow International owners.
It's good that you have factory involvement. They'll either figure it out in firmware, and/or swap parts, or worst case replace your vehicle so they can study same.
Hello fellow ID4 owners.

I am the "happy" owner of a ID4 1st Max - and currently the EV has been almost as much at the workshop than in my garage.

Issue is that while charging ( 11kw homecharger) the battery cooling / heatpump runs with intervals througout the charge cycle.

It will idle for 2-3 minutes then run almost spot-on 60 seconds, then a 2-3 minute break and full 60 seconds again and again and again.

The workshop is baffled, the factory has never heard about it before. I have driven less than 400km in it and already its been 3 days at the dealer.

They said the had a reference model charging next to it - and that didnt have the issue.

Any fellow owners experience something similar?

Its kept in a a garage that varies in temperature from 10-20 degrees celsius - so that shouldnt be the issue for such a prolonged period.

Thank you for any enligttment

·
538 Posts
It would seem to be heat pump related and since we don't [yet] have same in the USA you'll be best availed of fellow International owners.
It's good that you have factory involvement. They'll either figure it out in firmware, and/or swap parts, or worst case replace your vehicle so they can study same.
On US models we still have the BMS that runs the AC compressor (also a heat pump) to cool the battery whenever it exceeds 77F. Normally this would only be needed during DCFC or really hot weather. Its a part of what allows the ID.4 to charge DCFC at such an impressive rate. During hot weather it may kick in the battery cooling on US models, but only at a high charging rate. Does anyone else have a 11kw home charger and heard the AC compressor come on during charging? (or during DCFC?)

Reactions: Lars and Huey52

·
18 Posts
I have also noted the thermal management system cycling while charging at home in the garage. Level 2 16amp and temp around 60F. Only while charging.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also noted the thermal management system cycling while charging at home in the garage. Level 2 16amp and temp around 60F. Only while charging.
very interesting. Out of all the places I have searched and asked - you are the only one experiencing it (alongside me)

how often does it cycle - similar to my experience?

full minute approximately every 2-3 minutes?

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very interesting. Out of all the places I have searched and asked - you are the only one experiencing it (alongside me)

how often does it cycle - similar to my experience?

full minute approximately every 2-3 minutes?
I am also charging via 16A around 15 degrees Celsius (60F)

·
18 Posts
I am also charging via 16A around 15 degrees Celsius (60F)
Although I have not actually timed it, I believe the cycle is about as you say. Now my previous vehicle, a Chevrolet Volt, cycled when charging as well. So I did not think anything of it when the ID4 cycled the thermal management system when plugged in.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although I have not actually timed it, I believe the cycle is about as you say. Now my previous vehicle, a Chevrolet Volt, cycled when charging as well. So I did not think anything of it when the ID4 cycled the thermal management system when plugged in.
Hmmmm - I am pretty sure it’s not supposed to “cycle” what’s your mileage? I haven’t driven more than approx. 400 miles in mine. Battery has never been below 50%

It’s at the workshop and they had a reference car charging next to it - that didn’t cycle.

The ID3 I am driving as a a loaner doesn’t cycle either. Nor have I heard of any others. Is it through the entire charging phase?

many questions but I am pretty sure it’s a defect somewhere and trying to solve it.
I have an integrated garage and can hear the cycle
going and off through the doors to my kitchen.

I am putting pressure on the dealer to fix it as it is brand spanking new - so any information I could pass on is very helpful.

thanks

·
18 Posts
Hmmmm - I am pretty sure it’s not supposed to “cycle” what’s your mileage? I haven’t driven more than approx. 400 miles in mine. Battery has never been below 50%

It’s at the workshop and they had a reference car charging next to it - that didn’t cycle.

The ID3 I am driving as a a loaner doesn’t cycle either. Nor have I heard of any others. Is it through the entire charging phase?

many questions but I am pretty sure it’s a defect somewhere and trying to solve it.
I have an integrated garage and can hear the cycle
going and off through the doors to my kitchen.

I am putting pressure on the dealer to fix it as it is brand spanking new - so any information I could pass on is very helpful.

thanks
It seems to cycle during the entire time it is charging. I also only have about 410 miles total. And the battery has only been down to 45%. I charge up to the recommended 80%. I also unplug the car after it reaches the 80% level, because I don't want it cycling. Although I have noted it appears to stop cycling when it stops charging.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems to cycle during the entire time it is charging. I also only have about 410 miles total. And the battery has only been down to 45%. I charge up to the recommended 80%. I also unplug the car after it reaches the 80% level, because I don't want it cycling. Although I have noted it appears to stop cycling when it stops charging.
Thats precisely what I am experiencing. Have you spoken with your dealer? Mine are still working on it. I am running the battery down this weekend and handing it back in Monday. They can charge it and experience the cycle, They can’t use the KWh stored 👍

it’s needs to cool the battery sometimes when charging but not in a predefined cycle (well that’s my claim) surely that can’t be true - so noisy, energy consuming - I have only heard about yours and mine and others are not seeing this problem.

·
18 Posts
Thats precisely what I am experiencing. Have you spoken with your dealer? Mine are still working on it. I am running the battery down this weekend and handing it back in Monday. They can charge it and experience the cycle, They can’t use the KWh stored 👍

it’s needs to cool the battery sometimes when charging but not in a predefined cycle (well that’s my claim) surely that can’t be true - so noisy, energy consuming - I have only heard about yours and mine and others are not seeing this problem.
I actually thought this was 'normal' operation of the vehicle. So, I have not contacted my dealer regarding it. I will be looking for your updates as to what your dealer decides.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am confident thats not normal. They had a reference car charging alongside that didn’t show this behaviour - also would be odd to consume power to cool when not needed. I know on fast chargers cooling needs to be a lot more frequent.

I am also sure the dealer would have said that’s normal - the mechanic - (guess it’s an IT tech in an EV) also said that was not supposed to do that.

not to speak of the “wear and tear” of the heat pump /AC or whatever it is running for full charge circles (maybe 4-5 hours every night) for years and years

I hope it’s just a sensor or something that needs to have settings adjuste

·
18 Posts
I am confident thats not normal. They had a reference car charging alongside that didn’t show this behaviour - also would be odd to consume power to cool when not needed. I know on fast chargers cooling needs to be a lot more frequent.

I am also sure the dealer would have said that’s normal - the mechanic - (guess it’s an IT tech in an EV) also said that was not supposed to do that.

not to speak of the “wear and tear” of the heat pump /AC or whatever it is running for full charge circles (maybe 4-5 hours every night) for years and years

I hope it’s just a sensor or something that needs to have settings adjuste
Lars, have you had any resolution to the issue? I just took a closer look at my electric bill and discovered the ID4 is consuming more power due to the thermal management system cycling on and off in the garage. Not good!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lars, have you had any resolution to the issue? I just took a closer look at my electric bill and discovered the ID4 is consuming more power due to the thermal management system cycling on and off in the garage. Not good!
Not yet. Still at the workshop - they Seem to have identified the issue though.

something about the 12v battery drawing 11 amps constantly thus needed cooling all the time.
They will give me more info in the week to come.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
This week my thermal management system has been running when I charge with my JuiceBox in the evening. I start it at 11pm and charge for about 2 hours and it runs the whole time. When I charge in the morning it doesn't run at all. It has been cool here at night, mostly in the 60's. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
18 Posts
Not yet. Still at the workshop - they Seem to have identified the issue though.

something about the 12v battery drawing 11 amps constantly thus needed cooling all the time.
They will give me more info in the week to come.
Lars, any further updates? I have an appointment next Wednesday to bring my car in to be checked. Jon

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
My thermal management system runs while charging with JuiceBox (40 amp > 9.9kw). I am not using climate control for cabin while charging. I also assumed this was normal to cool battery. Temp has been around 78F (26C) at night. I will check if the same happens when charging in morning.

Might be design or code issue?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts