Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
190 Posts
All that said, I like the choice of 20” tire VW made for this car. No complaints with noise or ride quality, it seems perfectly suited to this vehicle. I noticed the Nissan Ariya prototypes driving around the US right now also have Bridgestone Alenza tires fitted. It is probably an eco/luxury tire of some sort. When the time comes, I’ll probably get the same thing. There were always trade offs with noise and economy on the Model 3 when you’d go with anything but the stock Tesla-spec (T0) tire.

·
141 Posts
It will be interesting to see how long the tires will last, front vs. back. Rotating tires often is necessary on an ICE car with 60% of the weight on the front with the front tires doing all the propelling and most of the braking, but in the ID.4 the weight distribution is more even and it's the rear tires that do all the propelling and most of the slowing (via regen). Even though we won't be rotating our tires front <-> back, the wider rear tires might last about as long as the front? We'll see.

·
1 Posts
I believe the 19s are the same on all 4. The 20s have wider and narrower rears than the fronts, so those would be swapped side to side. I’m staring at my 20s now and don’t see any arrows. I wouldn’t think they’d be directional as then there wouldn’t be any way to rotate them!
They are different and hence cannot be rotated front to back

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
937 Posts
... in the ID.4 the weight distribution is more even and it's the rear tires that do all the propelling and most of the slowing (via regen). Even though we won't be rotating our tires front <-> back, the wider rear tires might last about as long as the front? We'll see.
I'll offer up as a data point my i3 BEV with a 48/52 F/R weight distribution (essentially even). Fronts are 155, rears are 175, and the rears get about half the life of the fronts.

I'd expect the ID.4 not to eat rears as aggressively because it doesn't accelerate or regen as aggressively,, but then again, it weighs 1,500 lbs (50%) more than my i3.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts