Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
Discussion Starter #1
Looking ahead to the US deliveries, in the US it is a legal requirement for the tire pressure label to only show the inflation pressures for a vehicle at its maximum load, a place where people only rarely drive. In the rest of the world there are usually a couple of pressures shown, a partial load and a full load number. And there can be significant differences between the 2. I have looked in the released UK manual and all it shows is a representation of what the label looks like, and has no data.

I prefer to run at the partial load numbers, where my car is usually loaded and the engineers intended. Here is what was in the UK manual:

Furkan would it be possible to get a picture of the tire pressure label on your ID.4 so we can see the other pressures? I hate to ask, and thanks again for all of the great videos, tons of useful and good information. thanks for blazing the trail for those of us still waiting!

John

Reactions: ID.Furkan

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
'regular' 2.5 bar all around (rimsize not specified)
Fully loaded from my head 2.8 bar front and 3.1 at the rear.

I thought I had a picture, will snap 1 today

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Although I mostly still use Imperial measurements I concede that the metric system is better. However when it comes to atmospheric pressure I think pounds per square inch a much more relatable term than the nebulous 'bar.' But then I still lament the loss of cycles per second to 'Hertz.' 馃お Anyway ...

2.5 bar = 36.26 psi Normal load all-around

2.8 bar = 40.6 psi Front Max load
3.1 bar = 45 psi Rear Max load

In the USA VAG is likely to placard-list 35/40/45 respectively. We 'mericans like simple numbers. ;)

The fully loaded vehicle numbers are of course much higher than most will typically run.

Generally in EVs, higher tire pressure gives longer range, so it's pretty common to run 5+/- psi high to get a few more miles. Because of changes in temperature over weather and seasonal variation, and cold vs. hot measurements following driving. only those who check tire pressure more often will even notice, especially in ID.4 with no direct TPMS psi display.

There are always a few with longer daily drives, so post COVID, if someone wants to do some experimenting, it would be pretty easy to set tire pressure, say at two different psi, and note any difference in range over many days.

Post #3 at this Bolt thread has a list of some of the factors affected by tire pressure.

2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
Discussion Starter #6
'regular' 2.5 bar all around (rimsize not specified)
Fully loaded from my head 2.8 bar front and 3.1 at the rear.

I thought I had a picture, will snap 1 today
Thanks Furkan, really appreciate the info and everything else you are doing.

If we are betting, I would say that the US placard will say 45psi all around, or might show a 40/45 split and will only have the full load numbers, not the partial ones.

One of the benefits of running the extra load tires is the ability to go to the higher max pressures without issue. On long road trips I typically bump the pressures up 5 pounds or so. I am sure the efficiency increase is negligible, but it makes me feel like I am doing something!

And I agree that most people will not notice the difference. Saw a study one time where they tested for that and most drivers could not tell when a tire was over 50% low, one of the reasons for mandating TPMS.

Reactions: emtonsti

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Because I'm anal about proper tire pressure (no surprise there) I can't help but notice the tires of others when driving or parking and am amazed/mystified at how low pressure some people will go. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
... And I agree that most people will not notice the difference. Saw a study one time where they tested for that and most drivers could not tell when a tire was over 50% low, one of the reasons for mandating TPMS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts