Volkswagen ID Forum banner

201 - 220 of 287 Posts

·
12 Posts
Today my folded mirrors would not unfold. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried again several times but it would unfold, finally it did but then folded back immediately.
Then I turned the dial to the L position and it would unfold without doing anything and it would stay so. This is very strange. They should make these buttons work without the "stupid" dial. Why do you need the dial, just press the button to activate.
Also the touch sensitive haptics on the right would change radio stations when I was trying to steer to the left. They should be less sensitive IMHO.

·
7 Posts
Coming from a Chevy Bolt, I already miss the battery information: Charging rate, kwH used when pressing the go pedal or how much is being recovered when showing. (The green/blue bar is ok for starters, but I want more.) The actual SOC in kw of the battery. I really appreciated the Bolt having the graph next to the speedo. In fact add SOC info to the binnacle. There's plenty of room.

I agree with a steering wheel heater toggle next to the seats. I'd also like to add a fan toggle in that area too. Just a quick tap to turn heat on or off.

And, of course stop hold. :)
Not sure if you have gotten a reply, but the power used (kW/h) and current usage (kW) is available on the home screen.

·
136 Posts
VW needs to put a “camping/dog mode” in the next OTA. Seeing posts with people adding dumbbells to leave in the front seat to trick the car to keep climate control on is so ridiculous given the technology in the car. Come on VW five us our camping/dog mode in our car net app and embedded in the software in Clima settings.

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
In 60 years of driving I have never had the need for a locking glove box. Guess I have been lucky that I have never had my valuable hand lotion and handy wipes stolen! Oh, and I used to keep my locking lug nut key in there, but a few years ago I got tired of having to use it to get the wheels off to rotate them myself -I have a lift in my shop- I replaced the locking nuts with standard nuts.
Too bad that you didn't take advantage of this feature. So you never wanted to put your garage door opener, or wallet in the glove box?

I have appreciated this in my previous cars.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
383 Posts
Too bad that you didn't take advantage of this feature. So you never wanted to put your garage door opener, or wallet in the glove box?

it is good for Valet too.

·
2021 1st
285 Posts
VW needs to put a “camping/dog mode” in the next OTA.
I suspect liability issues will prevent this from becoming reality.

For some reason, I've also never locked my glove boxes. Anything that I would need to protect from someone wouldn't be safe enough behind a glove box lock.

·
584 Posts

If a thief could get into your car, the glove box lock is not going to do anything to stop them from getting into the glove box. I find it to be a false sense of security.

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
If a thief could get into your car, the glove box lock is not going to do anything to stop them from getting into the glove box. I find it to be a false sense of security.
No. Thieves get into cars very easily by boosting the FOB signal with an amplifier. 10s of cars have been hit in my neighborhood within a few minutes. They go through the car really quickly and will not deal with a mechanical lock. Same thing for the smash and grabs all the time in SF - they just grab what they see and spend less than 10-20s in your car.

This is current real-world data, not hypothetical conjecture.

The glove box lock is also useful for valets.

No need to make excuses for a missing feature.

·
138 Posts
No. Thieves get into cars very easily by boosting the FOB signal with an amplifier. 10s of cars have been hit in my neighborhood within a few minutes. They go through the car really quickly and will not deal with a mechanical lock. Same thing for the smash and grabs all the time in SF - they just grab what they see and spend less than 10-20s in your car.

Fortunately for me I have never lived in a environment like you mention. Or do I ever plan to visit such environment.

·
584 Posts

Screwdriver- 2 seconds and they are in. No excuse for a useless missing feature.

·
2021 1st
285 Posts
My post wasn't based on conjecture. Based on your posts, it sounds like you're an engineer. I'm a criminologist--specifically a convict criminologist (coincidentally, the original, John Irwin, was a personal friend and colleague of mine from the Bay Area)--so can get deep into the weeds of what motivates people who do "smash and grab" types of crimes and how they're done in a way that others wouldn't. I'm not convinced of the value of the trajectory of this conversation, however, but I will say that I can certainly understand your preference for a locked glove box even if I don't feel it necessary.

Whether one lives in a relatively low crime area, as some of our members are expressing, or a high crime area like you and I are familiar with, presumably VW has surveyed this feature and found that customers are unlikely to either use it or be bothered by its absence. If they get enough concern raised about it, I suspect it will be in an updated model in the future. I do get the impression VW is listening to our feedback so I don't think your effort is wasted but I don't know how important it is to convince us of its utility if that's your intention.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
610 Posts
If they get enough concern raised about it, I suspect it will be in an updated model in the future. I do get the impression VW is listening to our feedback so I don't think your effort is wasted but I don't know how important it is to convince us of its utility if that's your intention.
Replacing a glovebox door latch with one that has a latch is something that could easily be done after-market. It is too soon for such parts to be available now, of course, but it would be a trivial mod, and could even be a DIY type of upgrade.

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
My post wasn't based on conjecture. Based on your posts, it sounds like you're an engineer. I'm a criminologist--specifically a convict criminologist (coincidentally, the original, John Irwin, was a personal friend and colleague of mine from the Bay Area)--so can get deep into the weeds of what motivates people who do "smash and grab" types of crimes and how they're done in a way that others wouldn't.
Wow - you have an interesting and relevant background, and I appreciate your perspective.
I even won't take offense at your conjecture that I'm an engineer :) (I'm not)

Whether one lives in a relatively low crime area, as some of our members are expressing, or a high crime area like you and I are familiar with, presumably VW has surveyed this feature and found that customers are unlikely to either use it or be bothered by its absence. If they get enough concern raised about it, I suspect it will be in an updated model in the future. I do get the impression VW is listening to our feedback so I don't think your effort is wasted but I don't know how important it is to convince us of its utility if that's your intention.
I think that this is pretty obvious and well-said. I am not trying to convince others of anything except that I find the feature useful, and its potential utility should not be dismissed because it has not been considered / available / or used before.

Thanks again for this thoughtful post.

·
2021 1st
285 Posts
I even won't take offense at your conjecture that I'm an engineer :) (I'm not)
Sorry for the assumption. It wasn't a comment on how you post or meant in a pejorative way. I drew that incorrect conclusion based on an earlier comment you made regarding testing equipment related to space stations. I put that together with your location and took a guess. Thanks for not taking offense.

·
8 Posts
I'd advocate for controls to adjust the I'd light. For instance the sweep for turning only happens twice. That's barely enough to catch my attenton. Would like to change to 4 or 5. Like others I'd like a full one pedal option. Also actual numbers on the steering wheel screen at to show kw being used or regenerated and miles/kw. These last things can be found on the main screen but I like having them 'at a glance'.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
99 Posts
I don't know about the other users, but I do not get the trunk "use your foot" feature to work. I would guess it works 30% of the time for opening and 10% of the time for closing. Could the tow hitch in FE cars be the problem? This is actually a pretty useful feature, and I would like it to work more reliably.

Reactions: NeoFrank

·
ID.4 FE Blue
99 Posts
Also, I agree that the multiple function selector in the door handle is overly complicated. What's wrong with dedicated buttons, some of them actually in the center console below the screen?

Reactions: orey5

·
288 Posts
I don't know about the other users, but I do not get the trunk "use your foot" feature to work. I would guess it works 30% of the time for opening and 10% of the time for closing. Could the tow hitch in FE cars be the problem? This is actually a pretty useful feature, and I would like it to work more reliably.
Are you moving back 6 feet after you use your foot? It won't open or close without that step back. I can make it work every time once I learned that trick.

Reactions: M.B
201 - 220 of 287 Posts