Volkswagen ID Forum banner

301 - 320 of 397 Posts

·
31 Posts
What does app streaming capability mean?

What files should it load and what should it do with them?
It would be fantastic if all the streaming apps many of us own can play directly on the screen. It would also be amazing if the existing file types supported could play directly from your phone instead of having to use a usb stick.

·
49 Posts
It would be fantastic if all the streaming apps many of us own can play directly on the screen. It would also be amazing if the existing file types supported could play directly from your phone instead of having to use a usb stick.
Yeah, the audio streaming apps work fine through Android auto but the video ones do not appear. Apparently someone has hacked this, at least with youtube. I suspect it's blocked for safety reasons but there should be no reason to disallow it when charging for example.

I can browse the directories on my Android with the infotainment system. It never occurred to me to try and load a file.

·
238 Posts
Are you moving back 6 feet after you use your foot? It won't open or close without that step back. I can make it work every time once I learned that trick.
If you are in a garage with the door down it is often impossible to step back more than two or three feet!!

·
57 Posts
If you are in a garage with the door down it is often impossible to step back more than two or three feet!!
In testing, I found that I have to make it a fairly quick motion. If I hold my foot under the bumper, then it doesn't work.

·
238 Posts
The NEMA 14-50 is what you plug your L2 wall charger to not your ID.4.
I don't know anyone who has a NEMA 14-50 in their garage.
Actually there are 14-50 outlets in many places. If you have an electric dryer, there may be one there. Many RV parks have them. I have one in my garage - my level two charger is plugged into it.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
71 Posts
No particular order:

Button to turn on steering wheel heating - on the steering wheel.

Volume buttons should always work; even if voice operation is enabled.

Heated rear seat.

Direct heated windshield.

Heat pump optional in all markets.

There is a heated seats button on the main screen - it should just toggle them on, instead of taking you into a menu to then toggle them on.

When you open the door, the range should be visible without the key present, so that we can check the state of charge easily.

The ID light should be visible through the windshield during charging to let you see from a distance what the state of charging is.

There should be an option to not lock the charging plug, for when you are charging at home - which is about 99% of the time.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
No particular order:

Button to turn on steering wheel heating - on the steering wheel.

Volume buttons should always work; even if voice operation is enabled.

Heated rear seat.

Direct heated windshield.

Heat pump optional in all markets.

There is a heated seats button on the main screen - it should just toggle them on, instead of taking you into a menu to then toggle them on.

When you open the door, the range should be visible without the key present, so that we can check the state of charge easily.

The ID light should be visible through the windshield during charging to let you see from a distance what the state of charging is.

There should be an option to not lock the charging plug, for when you are charging at home - which is about 99% of the time.
What do you mean about the volume buttons, exactly?

Strongly agree with you about the heated seat buttons and I also wish there were a dedicated heated wheel button, although in case you didn't know, if you tap with two fingers on the temperature slider area, it will cycle through heated seat settings without bringing up another screen.

·
335 Posts
I would really love if Sport mode in the car actually felt sporty; the accelerator still has an awful lot of artificial lag built into it even in Sport. Give me that instant response like my Bolt had!

·
71 Posts
What do you mean about the volume buttons, exactly?

Strongly agree with you about the heated seat buttons and I also wish there were a dedicated heated wheel button, although in case you didn't know, if you tap with two fingers on the temperature slider area, it will cycle through heated seat settings without bringing up another screen.
For some reason, several times when we try to turn up/down the volume with either the steering wheel buttons/swipe, or the ones on the dash - it says that it is in voice control, and it doesn't change the volume. Very weird, and is probably a bug, but if there is an option to have voice control - then the buttons should always still work.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
A better sound system! Harman/Kardon from the EU cars or Fender Audio would be awesome.
Indeed!
The VW ID.4 audio quality is indeed atrocious and not befitting of a $0K+ car.
The bandwidth is limited to maybe 5-6 octaves and it has poor dynamic response.

·
335 Posts
For some reason, several times when we try to turn up/down the volume with either the steering wheel buttons/swipe, or the ones on the dash - it says that it is in voice control, and it doesn't change the volume. Very weird, and is probably a bug, but if there is an option to have voice control - then the buttons should always still work.
Ok this is interesting, now that I have my ID.4; I've noticed a couple times that using volume controls when there's no audio currently playing, the volume pop-up comes up as expected, but the volume doesn't actually change. Don't see any errors or messages about voice control though. But seems similar maybe?

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Ok this is interesting, now that I have my ID.4; I've noticed a couple times that using volume controls when there's no audio currently playing, the volume pop-up comes up as expected, but the volume doesn't actually change. Don't see any errors or messages about voice control though. But seems similar maybe?
I have experienced that as well. Sometimes I see a message saying that the car's speaking voice volume is being adjusted. I have found that clicking the speak / listen button on the steering wheel will then re-enable the volume sliders to work on other audio.

·
71 Posts
Indeed!
The VW ID.4 audio quality is indeed atrocious and not befitting of a $0K+ car.
The bandwidth is limited to maybe 5-6 octaves and it has poor dynamic response.
I think that much / most of the lack of audio quality is the source? When I listen to daytime radio (local FM digital broadcast) that audio quality is lacking most of the bass, and the upper highs, and is dynamically compressed, big time. But if I listen to a FLAC stream, or a CD quality stream of say, Radio Paradise, that I have cached on my phone, then it sounds MUCH better.

It is better than the Bose system in out Chevy Bolt EV Premier.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
I think that much / most of the lack of audio quality is the source? When I listen to daytime radio (local FM digital broadcast) that audio quality is lacking most of the bass, and the upper highs, and is dynamically compressed, big time. But if I listen to a FLAC stream, or a CD quality stream of say, Radio Paradise, that I have cached on my phone, then it sounds MUCH better.

It is better than the Bose system in out Chevy Bolt EV Premier.
I am listening to high bit rate MP3 files that sound pretty awful on the VW. Ones with limited percussion and bandwidth, say mellow (Hawaiian) acoustic guitar, do sound OK. Add something with multiple instruments and percussion and the sound goes downhill very fast. I also notice the peakiness in the VW's midrange response.

These same files sounded much better in my previous car.

·
71 Posts
I am listening to high bit rate MP3 files that sound pretty awful on the VW. Ones with limited percussion and bandwidth, say mellow (Hawaiian) acoustic guitar, do sound OK. Add something with multiple instruments and percussion and the sound goes downhill very fast. I also notice the peakiness in the VW's midrange response.

These same files sounded much better in my previous car.
Right - MP3 files do a lot of masking, with louder sounds getting played, but the softer ones get cut out to compress the files. Even the highest bitrate MP3s are not great. FLAC are uncompressed (at least as a file type).

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Right - MP3 files do a lot of masking, with louder sounds getting played, but the softer ones get cut out to compress the files. Even the highest bitrate MP3s are not great. FLAC are uncompressed (at least as a file type).
Sure, I listen to FLACs on my home stereo and agree that they are noticeably better than MP3s. But that is on a high performance system with a top-end DAC, monoblock amps, and serious floor-standing time-aligned three-way speakers that are properly positioned in the room.

FLACs on an ID.4? What a waste of storage space!

The ID.4 audio is total garbage - it cannot even reproduce frequencies below ~100 Hz and it has zero dynamic response.

The same 256 kbps MP3 files that sound awful in the ID.4 sound much better on my phone or in other cars.

·
335 Posts
The child lock/window lock button is too easy hit when adjusting the mirror. It should activate with a long press, not a tap.
YES, this, omg I've accidentally hit the child lock button basically every single time I touch the mirror knob.

301 - 320 of 397 Posts