Volkswagen ID Forum banner

341 - 360 of 384 Posts

·
44 Posts
Speed sensitive volume needs to be more dramatic
What does this mean?

On occasion, my car will chime at me on the way out and ask me to turn off the lights - but not tell me which ones! Since they're all automated, and touch buttons with inscrutable lights
The lights panel shows which lights are on (unless you're using Auto) doesn't it?

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
51 Posts
I've never had a light inside of the glovebox in any of my cars. I mean either turn the light on or do like me and have a small flashlight inside the glovebox :)

·
58 Posts
What does this mean?
Sorry, that was a bit unclear, wasn't it? There needs to be more change in the volume as speed increases. I've got it on the highest setting, but it's not enough. There are seven levels, I think? I love the granularity, but the higher levels aren't high enough. I've seen this comment elsewhere, too.

The lights panel shows which lights are on (unless you're using Auto) doesn't it?
It does for the external lights, but not the internal lights. I think the car was telling me about one of the overhead reading lights, but since they all come on when I open the door I can't tell without turning off that setting on the overhead panel. Since those are all touch sensitive, it's really easy to change those settings without meaning to - like today when I changed it while removing a sunshade. That's more of a gripe about the touch sensitive stuff, of course. In any event, if you're going to tell me to please turn off the lights, tell me which ones are on. There's all this screen real estate available, why not use it?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
909 Posts
This thread is now 18 pages long and may have gotten some VW notice but of course difficult to plow through so much feedback.
I therefore encourage owners coming up on their 30 -or- 60 day dealer revisit to provide them a written list of suggestions, e.g.
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.04.42 AM.png

·
White Pro S
73 Posts
This whole "automatically start and stop when the driver leaves" is a neat idea but it definitely needs a "just let me use it like a normal car" switch. Make it so you can't put it in anything but park or neutral when the driver gets out, fine, but I can already tell this is going to be a problem. Has no one at vw ever had to do the thing where you push a car and steer while standing outside of it?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
314 Posts
Good questions!

1. Yep, the steering wheel buttons are illuminated, and I use this for volume almost every time. The exception: if you want to mute or silence the audio quickly, since there's no mute button the fastest way I've found is to quickly swipe right to left on the slider below the screen.
I agree with you that the car has too many capacitive surfaces vs real buttons, but for pausing/muting audio, just tap the infotainment power button. It's very sensitive so even if you fat-finger it or kinda slide across it by accident it still works very well without having to look where you're tapping.

·
58 Posts
...for pausing/muting audio, just tap the infotainment power button. It's very sensitive so even if you fat-finger it or kinda slide across it by accident it still works very well without having to look where you're tapping.
D'oh! Of course. Thank you. I forget that button is even there most of the time. :rolleyes:

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
22 Posts
I think that much / most of the lack of audio quality is the source? When I listen to daytime radio (local FM digital broadcast) that audio quality is lacking most of the bass, and the upper highs, and is dynamically compressed, big time. But if I listen to a FLAC stream, or a CD quality stream of say, Radio Paradise, that I have cached on my phone, then it sounds MUCH better.

It is better than the Bose system in out Chevy Bolt EV Premier.
I used the same songs through wired CarPlay that I know sound amazing on the Fender system in my GTI. The non-premium audio in the ID.4 was clear, but it was unable to produce any of the deeper bass guitar notes in some of the songs I picked that I can hear beautifully in the Fender system.

·
18 Posts
I have had an AWD on order since March. I have test driven the car 2 times and my wife once. While I will still leave the car on order I lose interest more an more as time goes by. VW needs to address a few things or as the competition heats up in EVs they will posisbly face headwinds.

First and foremost, if their competition is the mainstream SUVs (CRV, RAV4, CX5) then make the window/mirror controller works like a mainstream car. WTF were they thinking with this window/mirror controller? First are they saving much by whacking 2 rear window switches? And more annoying is the mirror controller. What a fumble hot mess. My wife got so frustrated she shortened her test drive and said she does not want the VW. Storing the mirror settings for reverse is a joke, just tilt the darn mirrors down and be done with it. And there is no memory settings buttons so is it just remembering the settings per driver? That is annoying because at time my wife and I switch and each of us just hits memory 1 or 2 for our respective settings. If I keep my order and get the AWD the risk is my wife will never drive it.

One Pedal Drive and Auto Hold are a MUST. Many mainstream cars have auto hold. As for one pedal, you can leave it off and make it an option for those if us that want the most regen for our ride.

While not a deal killer a decent audio system is a requirement and while I did not spend much time with the ID.4 audio.

And again if their target demo is the mainstream SUV buyer they need to make the vehicle interaction more traditional. Oddly when I went to the dealer Saturday to let the wife drive it they had a few folks that bailed on their orders and have some cars available. I also saw a Pro model on the lot as it looks like the 1st Edition units are done and now Pro models are shipping.

I was planning to purchase, but now am leaning toward a lease as it will give me time to see where VW goes with the car and if it does well I will buy it at end of lease, if not they can take it back. Not the best move financially, but makes it easy to get off the hook.

Why drop the HUD in the US market? My theory is until they make the car in the US they needed to keep the costs under control, maybe in 22 or 23 the HUD will get added?

More so for the surround camera, this is becoming a standard feature on many SUVs and even cars.

VW has a unique advantage as they are early out of the gate, but by year end they will have several competitors so the next 6-9 months are critical for them.

·
96 Posts
I've driven the FE twice and have read a lot about ID.4. My Pro is on a boat, maybe misrouted to Hawaii or someplace far from S.F. .... I'm probably going to get it, but I too would like to see some changes or add some options to future ID.4s: Center air bag like ID.4s have in Europe, surround camera (as the front fenders are hard to see), automatic hill-hold, better mirror switches. Contrary to most reviewers I don't find the 3 button window switches annoying, and I don't think the lack of a frunk is a big deal. I prefer the one pedal driving of my Bolt, but I suppose I can tolerate the ID.4 system. On the center airbag, the folks sitting side-by-side in front are often close relatives or friends. It seems ironic that if the vehicle is struck from the side the heads of those in front can collide causing serious or fatal injury.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Contrary to most reviewers I don't find the 3 button window switches annoying...
Today I got in my GTI and did what I so often do — accidentally hit the rear window switches instead of the front switches when I want to air out the hot car. So, I don't mind the ID.4 switch set up either.

·
215 Posts
I've never had a light inside of the glovebox in any of my cars. I mean either turn the light on or do like me and have a small flashlight inside the glovebox :)
You just haven't had the right car! Several of my cars had glove box lights, but none have lately. But the sun visor mirrors have lights!!

·
58 Posts
Eco Assist is mentioned in the manual p.126. It also says it "can be switched on and off in the vehicle settings".
Perhaps I'm late to the party, but after 1000 miles of fooling around and wondering why this wasn't happening for me, I followed my advice and read the "f" manual (RTFM)...and consulted the internet. Turns out Eco Assist doesn't show up in my Assist menu. Given that this is a large selling point of the vehicle, intelligent regen/efficiency and all, I'm pretty upset at the moment. This is actually one of the things I was looking forward to.

I'll have to breathe for a bit. Maybe it's the coffee. But man. So many things missing on the US versions. And at the moment, "it's planned for an OTA update" isn't cutting it, if that's the answer. It already exists in other markets.

Excuse me. I have to go yell at some kids to get off my lawn, then shake my fist at some passing clouds. :cool:

·
215 Posts
Perhaps I'm late to the party, but after 1000 miles of fooling around and wondering why this wasn't happening for me, I followed my advice and read the "f" manual (RTFM)...and consulted the internet. Turns out Eco Assist doesn't show up in my Assist menu. Given that this is a large selling point of the vehicle, intelligent regen/efficiency and all, I'm pretty upset at the moment. This is actually one of the things I was looking forward to.

I'll have to breathe for a bit. Maybe it's the coffee. But man. So many things missing on the US versions. And at the moment, "it's planned for an OTA update" isn't cutting it, if that's the answer. It already exists in other markets.

Excuse me. I have to go yell at some kids to get off my lawn, then shake my fist at some passing clouds. :cool:
Don't blame the car, blame the buyer. You certainty had an opportunity to check it out prior to purchase!

341 - 360 of 384 Posts