Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 287 Posts

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
302 Posts
Oh there is nothing nominal about the HUD. The more we dug into this the more we realized there are significant surrounding costs. But I do agree there should have been an option somewhere to allow that option. Same for 360 cameras and the like.
Agree and the HUD is not an insignificant piece of hardware:

The first step of the removal process starts with: Remove the windshield....
But it gets easier after removing the ID Light :)

But agree on making it an option. The only reason I can see for the decision is to drive business to Audi.

Reactions: epl and corfam

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
383 Posts
the HUD is not an insignificant piece of hardware:

View attachment 2099

View attachment 2097

The first step of the removal process starts with: Remove the windshield....
But it gets easier after removing the ID Light :)

But agree on making it an option. The only reason I can see for the decision is to drive business to Audi.
And don't forget the Windshield cost too, the "new" windshield is like 4x the cost.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
46 Posts
I picked up my ID.4 over the weekend, and am still enthused. I'll share some observations in the next few days. But right off the bat, there's been something driving me crazy. Perhaps I'm missing it, but shouldn't there be a button - physical or first level display, to identify the nearest charging stations? I can navigate to it, but this would seem to be an important feature. What am I missing?

·
2018 Chevy Volt
30 Posts
1) Regen brake paddle behind the steering wheel (like my Volt has).
2) Illuminated buttons along the bottom of the infotainment screen (so we can see them at night).
3) Rear window control buttons that are separate from the front window control buttons.
4) MORE POWER (this one is the most important- seriously VW- give the ID4 more HP).
5) LESS HAPTIC (what's wrong with traditional buttons, knob, dials, and switches?)

I also think the ID4's little brother (the ID3) should be sold here in America, but that's a much different request.

·
2018 Chevy Volt
30 Posts
1) Regen brake paddle behind the steering wheel (like my Volt has).
2) Illuminated buttons along the bottom of the infotainment screen (so we can see them at night).
3) Rear window control buttons that are separate from the front window control buttons.
4) MORE POWER (this one is the most important- seriously VW- give the ID4 more HP).
5) LESS HAPTIC (what's wrong with traditional buttons, knob, dials, and switches?)

I also think the ID4's little brother (the ID3) should be sold here in America, but that's a much different request.
I almost forgot!
6) Make the color DUSK BLUE available on ALL MODELS. Why is it only available on the premium version?

·
17 Posts
Interesting discussion thread.
After the first 200 miles, I am just super-happy with the car. I guess I am more focused on the big things... Anyhow, of course I do hope that VW will make even better electric cars in the future - they certainly did that with the Golf over the decades... All the best, Klaus

·
279 Posts
-Discover how to overcome "family range anxiety". That's a big one.

-Make the gray interior available on more exteriors, like the blue and the red. I think that would attract more "family appeal". Black interiors can get very hot and hurt children's legs in shorts.

-360 deg cameras.

-Exploit "family" options that are available on the Tiguan, CRV, RAV4, CX-5, Escape, Equinox.

-Get more NA women's input , less "gear-head" input. I don't think think the NA market is really known by EU marketing.

-Maybe incorporate some of our suggestions into the Tennessee assembly plant.

-Don't impinge on the Audi e-tron.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
99 Posts
Move the steering wheel heating icon to the main screen alongside the seats.
Well, if you push on those seats that only brings up the climate control menu, where you have to find the seats again and push on them. Somebody else suggested that you should be able to adjust from the main screen directly. Then, yes, I would say add the steering wheel. ;-)

·
63 Posts
I agree with many of the comments here, particularly the Blue exterior option on the Pro series, the need for a more accessible fan speed control, and the tune/volume orientation on the steering wheel. For me, it really irks me that if I want Sirius satellite radio I need to order the Pro S. Seriously? I need to spend $4500 over the Pro just to get satellite radio?!?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD (Locked)
3 Posts
Agree and the HUD is not an insignificant piece of hardware:
Yikes, I thought it was just a projector onto the inside of the windshield or something. o_O

Still, I'd be willing to throw a probably-unreasonable amount of money at VW if they could install it after the fact.

Reactions: egsell

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
I picked up my ID.4 over the weekend, and am still enthused. I'll share some observations in the next few days. But right off the bat, there's been something driving me crazy. Perhaps I'm missing it, but shouldn't there be a button - physical or first level display, to identify the nearest charging stations? I can navigate to it, but this would seem to be an important feature. What am I missing?

Um, no. The nearest charging station is your house.

You probably do not want the absolutely closest charging station. What charging network do you prefer? Do you want L2, 50 KW DC, or 100+ kW DC? What amenities do you want nearby? Best to either plan your trip in advance or else search on Plugshare or google maps.

Does your ICE car show you the nearest gas station?

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
46 Posts
Um, no. The nearest charging station is your house.

You probably do not want the absolutely closest charging station. What charging network do you prefer? Do you want L2, 50 KW DC, or 100+ kW DC? What amenities do you want nearby? Best to either plan your trip in advance or else search on Plugshare or google maps.

Well, if the prevalence of charging stations was 1/10th that of gas stations, I'd concur. Sometimes you just cannot plan!

Your points are all valid, but it's easy enough to filter for those various charging features. Likewise, it would be great if someone (VW? Electrify America? etc) could develop a rating mechanism for charging stations. This might include: being well-maintained, nearby amenities, etc) so that we could choose among stations on characteristics other than L2/L3.

But, the bottom line is that there is range anxiety; I'd like to have a physical or virtual button to bring up the nearby stations. Hope springs eternal, but it's important to recognize the reality - people want to adopt EVs, but there are a few factors holding back those who aren't early adopters or tech forward.

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
Likewise, it would be great if someone (VW? Electrify America? etc) could develop a rating mechanism for charging stations. This might include: being well-maintained, nearby amenities, etc) so that we could choose among stations on characteristics other than L2/L3.

But, the bottom line is that there is range anxiety; I'd like to have a physical or virtual button to bring up the nearby stations. Hope springs eternal, but it's important to recognize the reality - people want to adopt EVs, but there are a few factors holding back those who aren't early adopters or tech forward.
What you want already exists - do you have the Plugshare app? Its database is not affiliated with any significant commercial enterprise, and each charge station entry is well maintained and has frequently-updated user feedback. You can use it to plan trips, see photos of charger locations, and seek chargers on your preferred networks. There is no way that an auto manufacturer could match this for quality or utility. Just put the app on your phone and you are done.

See also the plugshare website: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I don't understand range anxiety. There is very little risk of running out of charge (you can see SOC in real time), there are only minimal consequences (say, compared to flying and running out of gas), there are many more electrical outlets in the US than gas stations, plus the ID.4 has HUGE range. There are a LOT of charge stations in the US now. Jut plan out your charge stops based on speed, elevation, etc. before your trip.

Here is the range chart for my current car the Toyota RAV4 EV. You can make one for the ID.4:

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
771 Posts
That would be nice, but there are a number of App resources. This past weekend I did a bit of a scavenger hunt with the ChargePoint App and found a number of L2 chargers in unusual places. It worked very well to include its own very precise voice-directions as well as navigation screen (in this instance via iPhone on CarPlay). Note that using the console's phone recharge pad also extends the reception range by using the vehicles "shark fin" antenna. :)

Alas I haven't been able to use the Electrify America App as still an impasse bug with iPhone 12 & latest iOS (I have a case number with them and .... crickets 😣

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
610 Posts
Alas I haven't been able to use the Electrify America App as still an impasse bug with iPhone 12 & latest iOS (I have a case number with them and .... crickets 😣
This morning there was a new version of the EA app in the Google store - maybe there is also a new one for iPhone.

·
288 Posts
Yes I just say "navigate nearest gas" and it shows a list, and you tap on the column to sort them all by distance or price per gallon.

21 - 40 of 287 Posts