Volkswagen ID Forum banner
461 - 480 of 533 Posts

·
405 Posts
Just had my "double check" appointment where the dealership wasn't at all interested in my issues that I've had with the car and fixes I'd like to see. They did ask about overheating of phones in the charger area.

With that, presented for posterity and possible discussion here's my very long list of things I sent to VW customer care since the dealership didn't want to deal with it. I've posted/discussed most of this here, this is just updated with more stuff as I gain experience with the car:

Things to fix in software:
  • A usable owner’s manual, please!
  • A downloadable owner’s manual, too, please.
  • Auto-hold on stop enabled, it’s already in European cars(this is also hill hold)
  • B-mode needs to take car to full stop, this could/should be a setting
  • It’s almost impossible to stop the car smoothly. Not sure what’s going on here, but it always jerks to a stop
  • Auto-lock when walking away. The car can auto unlock when approaching. This is just a dumb choice
  • Beep to confirm car is locked is way too loud and long
  • Battery percentage visible on small screen
  • Trip meter and current drive kWh/mile on small screen
  • Better charging info - kWh taking in, etc.
  • Vehicle Info screen, “current drive” and “from charge” usually don’t display correct mileage
  • Medium boxes when modifying screen layout: charge/usage info needs to default to current drive average kWh/mile, at the moment they all show instantaneous kWh/mile. This isn’t helpful
  • The point of the above points is, it’s difficult to monitor how efficiently you’re driving
  • CarNet app is awful. Very limited, takes forever to do something, and frequently doesn’t work. Why do I have a PIN for my car when it’s the only car I have? Siri integration on Apple, please
  • Built-in nav is unusable. I can’t even search for EA chargers? What? Planning a trip is useless. Need to be able to easily pass an address from my phone to the car. POI database is awful
  • Speaking of charging, plug-and-charge needs to happen
  • Electrify America App, owned by VW, is just atrocious (although improving). Please have covered charging!
  • Apple CarPlay audio skips if WiFi Search is enabled
  • Child lock button is too sensitive. Please make this a one-second timer.
  • Change hatch closing from inside car to press, not press and hold
  • Rear-view camera is extremely dim at night, appears to be washed out by license plate and brake lights. Tape on license plate lights has helped, but not enough.
  • Recirculate AC needs to stay selected. Stop trying to be smarter than me, let me use the car.
  • Humidity control is challenging in this car. See above, just let me leave recirc and the AC on all the time
  • Lane Keeping System/Lane Assist (not Travel Assist) needs to be able to be permanently selected off. As implemented this has almost driven me into two cars and one ditch so far. US road markings just aren’t good enough.
  • Passenger side seat heat control needs to be on the passenger side
  • Both seat heat control buttons need to actually control the seat heat, not take you to a menu
  • Steering wheel heat button needs to be with the seat heat control button
  • Headlights occasionally chime and request that I turn them off…when I’ve changed nothing
  • Voice control needs vast improvement
  • ID Light needs to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto navigation. As implemented it is not useful.
  • ID Light should start far earlier to display turns; suggest building in from one side to the other over time
  • ID Light should display entire time car is charging
  • Speed sensitive volume isn’t “strong” enough; it doesn’t increase volume enough at higher speeds
  • Eco Assist was one of the reasons I bought the car. It was advertised, crowed about, and showed up in the owner’s manual. But I don’t have it. Speed limit signs suck in the US, but some of the following and roadway (intersection/roundabout/divided roadway tech could be allowed
  • Pedestrian warnings (engine speakers?) are way, way too loud. I know there are regulatory minimums - but these are far louder than that
  • More center screen layout options, please!
  • Let me leave the car running - infotainment too - when I get out.
  • Would love to be able to set a regen curve for “B” mode. I’d like it to blend in just a bit more slowly.
  • Accelerator tip-in is too sudden, particularly for Comfort and Eco modes
  • Overhead lights usually illuminate when I’m getting in the car…and sometimes they don’t. Doesn’t matter if it’s day or night, or whether I’ve got the key with me
  • Infotainment screen is just way, way too slow. All of it.
  • Driver profiles, preferably tied to the key fobs

Hardware that needs to be addressed with current model, and yes, including my car:
  • Temp and volume sliders below screen are unlit. This needs to be a recall, it’s a huge safety issue. I can’t adjust cabin temp at night without poking around in the screens.
  • Emergency charger release cord is buried beneath the fabric on the side of the car - and I’ve got to cut the fabric to get to it? Are you kidding me?

Things to fix on future models:
  • Ventilated seats at least as an option
  • Sunglasses holder - preferably room for two pairs
  • Center console is not terribly useful
  • Space under front of center console is beautiful…and wasted space
  • Phone charging mat in an unventilated space is not usable, phone overheats
  • Need four window switches
  • The entire window/mirror switch panel is way too gee-whizzy. Just some buttons, please
  • Capacitive buttons are never, ever appropriate in a car, particularly on the steering wheel
  • The haptic buttons on the steering wheel are a huge mistake. Ugh.
  • The buttons on the steering wheel are not at the correct angle or placement, unless my thumbs came out the top of my hands
  • Piano black trim is never, ever appropriate in a car
  • Interior color choices are…poor
  • Need cloth seats available throughout trim lines
  • Audio system is quite basic - and I bought a premium edition
  • Charging port needs a light in it so I can see the jack
  • Charging port door feels way too flimsy
  • Would love to be able to put the included Level 1 charging cord in the front compartment under the hood. There’s room, just nowhere to put it
  • Dedicated buttons/knobs for HVAC, seat and steering wheel heat.
  • The ride on this thing is just too truck-y. I know it’s heavy, but it feels like almost like an unloaded dump truck sometimes
  • The roof over the rear hatch glass needs a slot in it to allow airflow and cleaning. As it is, it just collects water that could be blown away by the air over the car
  • I’ve got a First Edition. The dedicated buttons under the screen (Clima, Assist, etc.) are impossible to read in certain light conditions due to a lack of contrast in the lettering/icons
  • Emergency button on the key fob is way too easy to press
  • How about just regular mechanical door handles? The hardware is there as a backup…and it works every time
  • License plate lights and tail lights/brake lights interfere with the backup camera. Some of this is software, some is hardware, some is poor placement
  • Yellow turn signals in the rear, please
That is some list. My past experience with any vehicle company is they really do not care what the customer thinks. But there is always hope!

·
562 Posts
Wish you could change the default rearview camera to the wide angle mode.

Or it could be context aware - use wide mode when the car went from park to reverse but the park mode when moving from D/B to R.
One would think that this is an easy SW fix. Remember last selection, easy peasy.
Lots of other settings are remembered.
One day to check out SW version from vault, 2 months to regression test 🙄.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
414 Posts
Wish you could change the default rearview camera to the wide angle mode.

Or it could be context aware - use wide mode when the car went from park to reverse but the park mode when moving from D/B to R.
Oooh I would love that context aware idea! I always switch to wide angle to back out of my garage because it literally lets me see around the corners way earlier than I can with just eyesight, but I do want the parking alignment guidelines when backing into a parking space.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Audi has one programmable button on the steering wheel (an asterisk), so .... 🤷‍♂️

I used mine to manually shift the display from day/night mode, since the Auto was unreliable. 😒
Make the unused steering wheel button programmable for any non-critical infotainment or car function.
Pause/silence music, all interior lights on/off, all windows up or down, lift gate up/down, HVAC toggle off/on, any simple function buried under levels of screens.
Add yours here-

·
Glacier White ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Not a SW fix:
- Wireless charging pad fix, it get's really hot and seems very slow to charge

SW fix:
  • Hire UI/UX people to fix the infotainment center, too many steps and convoluted system
  • Do something about the mirror/lock controls. Very easy to mess those up.
  • Keep the charging ID light on while charging

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
Eric at Ross-Tech has disassembled the front console with pictures and you probably could just unplug the power to the charger.
Well yeah, but I was thinking in software, not by taking the damned thing apart. I can also put a piece of foam in there to distance the phone from the pad.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
I'd just like a way to disable the charge pad and just use it for a phone nook.
I did this by taking the rubber pad out, cutting a piece of cardboard to fit under, put cardboard in, put rubber pad back in. Not disabled, but not functioning or interfering any longer. Phone nook works well since the charging can’t put out what the iPhone 12 Pro needs. (As I read further, your foam would work too) 😂

·
562 Posts
I did this by taking the rubber pad out, cutting a piece of cardboard to fit under, put cardboard in, put rubber pad back in. Not disabled, but not functioning or interfering any longer. Phone nook works well since the charging can’t put out what the iPhone 12 Pro needs. (As I read further, your foam would work too) 😂
It's an ID4, not an Audi. IMO, SW control of the charging pad is not necessary. In my limited knowledge I don't know of any vehicle that has that. I'm thinking that there are much higher priorities, say, three button garage door opener.
Opinions are like @$$#0|3$, everyone has one, even me.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
You'll be shocked to know that my honda had a charging pad that was easily disabled. In software. It's a reasonable expectation. This whole "VW has to be lower spec than audi to the detriment of VW" policy is idiotic and you'd think after 30+ years of it they'd maybe back it off a little. The same company that though "we have to keep the VW brand positioned lower than audi" is also the company that thought "people are TOTALLY ready for a luxury VW despite decades of us telling them it's in inferior brand." VWoA can always be counted on to make three terrible decisions before breakfast each day.

I do agree that not having a garage door option is silly. I added the homelink mirror, but it's weird that I had to. Especially on a car that probably has a proportionally larger number of buyers who own garages.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
166 Posts
Probably already on here somewhere, but it would be awesome if SW could be updated to prevent rolling backward from a stop on a hill and prevent lurching forward when trying to slowly go over a bump. There is a small incline going into my garage that is somewhat tricky to navigate with the ID.4. You roll backward if going too slow at the entry point and/or you lurch forward toward the back wall requiring quick/hard braking before edging into the spot. Seems like something that could be tweaked.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
107 Posts
Not a SW fix:
- Wireless charging pad fix, it get's really hot and seems very slow to charge

SW fix:
  • Hire UI/UX people to fix the infotainment center, too many steps and convoluted system
  • Do something about the mirror/lock controls. Very easy to mess those up.
  • Keep the charging ID light on while charging
The charging ID light staying on would be very nice to have as a visual cue, but my concern is that it might use the 12V battery and depending on how long the charge session goes (or if it stays on until the cable is unplugged) it could potentially drain that battery. I think VW has added a trickle charge of the 12V from the high voltage battery if the charge gets below a certain point, but I cannot confirm that. (I remember hearing about it in a video from BatteryLife when his 12V had issues in his ID.3 I think.)

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
The charging ID light staying on would be very nice to have as a visual cue, but my concern is that it might use the 12V battery and depending on how long the charge session goes (or if it stays on until the cable is unplugged) it could potentially drain that battery. I think VW has added a trickle charge of the 12V from the high voltage battery if the charge gets below a certain point, but I cannot confirm that. (I remember hearing about it in a video from BatteryLife when his 12V had issues in his ID.3 I think.)
If the car is charging, then the HV system is active and it would be reasonable to assume that the DC-DC converter is active which would keep the 12V battery charged. That said, reality isn't always reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
"Auto Hold" is currently a greyed-out setting; hoping for OTA update:
Probably already on here somewhere, but it would be awesome if SW could be updated to prevent rolling backward from a stop on a hill and prevent lurching forward when trying to slowly go over a bump. There is a small incline going into my garage that is somewhat tricky to navigate with the ID.4. You roll backward if going too slow at the entry point and/or you lurch forward toward the back wall requiring quick/hard braking before edging into the spot. Seems like something that could be tweaked.

461 - 480 of 533 Posts