That is some list. My past experience with any vehicle company is they really do not care what the customer thinks. But there is always hope!Just had my "double check" appointment where the dealership wasn't at all interested in my issues that I've had with the car and fixes I'd like to see. They did ask about overheating of phones in the charger area.
With that, presented for posterity and possible discussion here's my very long list of things I sent to VW customer care since the dealership didn't want to deal with it. I've posted/discussed most of this here, this is just updated with more stuff as I gain experience with the car:
Things to fix in software:
- A usable owner’s manual, please!
- A downloadable owner’s manual, too, please.
- Auto-hold on stop enabled, it’s already in European cars(this is also hill hold)
- B-mode needs to take car to full stop, this could/should be a setting
- It’s almost impossible to stop the car smoothly. Not sure what’s going on here, but it always jerks to a stop
- Auto-lock when walking away. The car can auto unlock when approaching. This is just a dumb choice
- Beep to confirm car is locked is way too loud and long
- Battery percentage visible on small screen
- Trip meter and current drive kWh/mile on small screen
- Better charging info - kWh taking in, etc.
- Vehicle Info screen, “current drive” and “from charge” usually don’t display correct mileage
- Medium boxes when modifying screen layout: charge/usage info needs to default to current drive average kWh/mile, at the moment they all show instantaneous kWh/mile. This isn’t helpful
- The point of the above points is, it’s difficult to monitor how efficiently you’re driving
- CarNet app is awful. Very limited, takes forever to do something, and frequently doesn’t work. Why do I have a PIN for my car when it’s the only car I have? Siri integration on Apple, please
- Built-in nav is unusable. I can’t even search for EA chargers? What? Planning a trip is useless. Need to be able to easily pass an address from my phone to the car. POI database is awful
- Speaking of charging, plug-and-charge needs to happen
- Electrify America App, owned by VW, is just atrocious (although improving). Please have covered charging!
- Apple CarPlay audio skips if WiFi Search is enabled
- Child lock button is too sensitive. Please make this a one-second timer.
- Change hatch closing from inside car to press, not press and hold
- Rear-view camera is extremely dim at night, appears to be washed out by license plate and brake lights. Tape on license plate lights has helped, but not enough.
- Recirculate AC needs to stay selected. Stop trying to be smarter than me, let me use the car.
- Humidity control is challenging in this car. See above, just let me leave recirc and the AC on all the time
- Lane Keeping System/Lane Assist (not Travel Assist) needs to be able to be permanently selected off. As implemented this has almost driven me into two cars and one ditch so far. US road markings just aren’t good enough.
- Passenger side seat heat control needs to be on the passenger side
- Both seat heat control buttons need to actually control the seat heat, not take you to a menu
- Steering wheel heat button needs to be with the seat heat control button
- Headlights occasionally chime and request that I turn them off…when I’ve changed nothing
- Voice control needs vast improvement
- ID Light needs to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto navigation. As implemented it is not useful.
- ID Light should start far earlier to display turns; suggest building in from one side to the other over time
- ID Light should display entire time car is charging
- Speed sensitive volume isn’t “strong” enough; it doesn’t increase volume enough at higher speeds
- Eco Assist was one of the reasons I bought the car. It was advertised, crowed about, and showed up in the owner’s manual. But I don’t have it. Speed limit signs suck in the US, but some of the following and roadway (intersection/roundabout/divided roadway tech could be allowed
- Pedestrian warnings (engine speakers?) are way, way too loud. I know there are regulatory minimums - but these are far louder than that
- More center screen layout options, please!
- Let me leave the car running - infotainment too - when I get out.
- Would love to be able to set a regen curve for “B” mode. I’d like it to blend in just a bit more slowly.
- Accelerator tip-in is too sudden, particularly for Comfort and Eco modes
- Overhead lights usually illuminate when I’m getting in the car…and sometimes they don’t. Doesn’t matter if it’s day or night, or whether I’ve got the key with me
- Infotainment screen is just way, way too slow. All of it.
- Driver profiles, preferably tied to the key fobs
Hardware that needs to be addressed with current model, and yes, including my car:
- Temp and volume sliders below screen are unlit. This needs to be a recall, it’s a huge safety issue. I can’t adjust cabin temp at night without poking around in the screens.
- Emergency charger release cord is buried beneath the fabric on the side of the car - and I’ve got to cut the fabric to get to it? Are you kidding me?
Things to fix on future models:
- Ventilated seats at least as an option
- Sunglasses holder - preferably room for two pairs
- Center console is not terribly useful
- Space under front of center console is beautiful…and wasted space
- Phone charging mat in an unventilated space is not usable, phone overheats
- Need four window switches
- The entire window/mirror switch panel is way too gee-whizzy. Just some buttons, please
- Capacitive buttons are never, ever appropriate in a car, particularly on the steering wheel
- The haptic buttons on the steering wheel are a huge mistake. Ugh.
- The buttons on the steering wheel are not at the correct angle or placement, unless my thumbs came out the top of my hands
- Piano black trim is never, ever appropriate in a car
- Interior color choices are…poor
- Need cloth seats available throughout trim lines
- Audio system is quite basic - and I bought a premium edition
- Charging port needs a light in it so I can see the jack
- Charging port door feels way too flimsy
- Would love to be able to put the included Level 1 charging cord in the front compartment under the hood. There’s room, just nowhere to put it
- Dedicated buttons/knobs for HVAC, seat and steering wheel heat.
- The ride on this thing is just too truck-y. I know it’s heavy, but it feels like almost like an unloaded dump truck sometimes
- The roof over the rear hatch glass needs a slot in it to allow airflow and cleaning. As it is, it just collects water that could be blown away by the air over the car
- I’ve got a First Edition. The dedicated buttons under the screen (Clima, Assist, etc.) are impossible to read in certain light conditions due to a lack of contrast in the lettering/icons
- Emergency button on the key fob is way too easy to press
- How about just regular mechanical door handles? The hardware is there as a backup…and it works every time
- License plate lights and tail lights/brake lights interfere with the backup camera. Some of this is software, some is hardware, some is poor placement
- Yellow turn signals in the rear, please