Volkswagen ID Forum banner
481 - 500 of 533 Posts

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
107 Posts
This thread is too long to search through it right now, but if it is not already mentioned, the interior lights need to be set to always turn on when opening the doors. Right now they sometimes turn on and sometimes do not when opening a door.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
This thread is too long to search through it right now, but if it is not already mentioned, the interior lights need to be set to always turn on when opening the doors. Right now they sometimes turn on and sometimes do not when opening a door.
There’s a setting for that - check up by the SOS button/rear view mirror console-area (second control over - with car/door icon). It can be charged to always turn on or set to always off.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
107 Posts
There’s a setting for that - check up by the SOS button/rear view mirror console-area (second control over - with car/door icon). It can be charged to always turn on or set to always off. View attachment 4007
I had already tried that button thinking that was it, but no matter how that is set the results stay intermittent when opening the doors. I have tried it with that lit up as well as turned off. No difference.

The best pattern I can find is if the car has been off for a certain length of time, they do not turn on, but if the car was recently turned off they turn on. But that is still not always the case from what I can tell.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
I had already tried that button thinking that was it, but no matter how that is set the results stay intermittent when opening the doors. I have tried it with that lit up as well as turned off. No difference.

The best pattern I can find is if the car has been off for a certain length of time, they do not turn on, but if the car was recently turned off they turn on. But that is still not always the case from what I can tell.
Maybe a button malfunction. Mine seems to work, as indicated by the manual and practice.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
107 Posts
Maybe a button malfunction. Mine seems to work, as indicated by the manual and practice.
I take it as more of mine just having a bug. Not a big deal, but if it can get fixed that would be great. Right now I have the button unlit, which I would assume means to turn the lights on when opening the doors. (Since it says “off” on the light, I would assume if it is lit that means to not turn the lights on.)

·
2 Posts
  • Option to turn off the "creep".
  • Option to allow "B" mode to come to a complete stop without touching the brake.
  • Option for auto brake hold.
I second all of these and would add that I wish "B" would be the default drive mode. I never drive in "D" and don't know if I would ever!

·
2 Posts
I apologize if I repeat anything that anyone has already said but when I went to the dealer with a list of questions they told me that they couldn't do anything about them and to post them on a forum so here I am...

Here are the some of the things that don't make sense to me. I think most of these can and should be updated in an upcoming software update:
1) You can open the tailgate from the driver's side door but you cannot close it. This is especially a pain when you drop someone off at the airport. I have to get all the way out of the car to close the trunk because the switch is an open only button for "safety reasons" according to the dealer.
2) The temperature/volume touch sensitive sliders so not light up in the dark, however the power button icon on to the left of the temperature slider does (why???). This is a problem when trying to pay attention to the road while "feeling" for where the temperature slider is (you end up missing, changing the temperature the wrong way, etc.).
3) The windshield sprayers take about 3 second to start spraying water. I have never had a car that took that long to spray -- can anyone confirm if this is just me? Also, on a related note, whenever I turn the car on or off the wipers move or make a noise (every time!).
4) I have the mirror set to tilt in reverse but I MUST turn the mirror knob to "R" in order for it to tilt in reverse. If I have the option activated it should tilt in reverse regardless of the mirror knob selection.
5) The high beam options are in this order -- Off >> Auto On >> Manual On >> Off. Sometimes when I am on a curvy road and the auto high beams are on, they flash people accidentally. Unfortunately I cannot go from auto on to off, I have to turn them to manual ON and then to off. Obviously you can see the problem here.
6) Someone else mentioned this, but the rear view camera at night is useless. It's way too dark!

Here are some of the issues that I already had fixed by the dealer:
1) There was a major rattle coming from the rear hatch. This was caused by the factory misaligning the hatch. The dealer had to modify some of the rubber bumper things (no idea what they are actually called) to compensate for the misaligned hatch.
2) The rear taillight bar was buckled out in the middle where the VW logo is. This is another factory defect but from what the dealership could tell it was only on the white colored cars (gray and blue were not affected).

Again, sorry if any of this is repeated but the dealership wasn't going to tell VW for me...!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Welcome to the forum cooperc2372!

Alas many of the items you have mentioned are "just the way it works." Some are VAG-typical and others are ID.4 unique.

Many of your items were also on my list which [supposedly] got forwarded to VW. Ideally software based items may/will get addressed. The hardware ones hopefully we've at least helped with out year models.

btw: Thanks to TPG's investigation we now have a Quick Start Guide which addresses a few such items.
I apologize if I repeat anything that anyone has already said but when I went to the dealer with a list of questions they told me that they couldn't do anything about them and to post them on a forum so here I am...

Attachments

·
276 Posts
Rear taillight bar popping out issue is on all the colors. Seems to be a genuine design flaw where in hot weather the plastic expands much more than the metal, causing it to pop out.

Curious to see if that is fixed in MY22

·
8 Posts
Rear taillight bar popping out issue is on all the colors. Seems to be a genuine design flaw where in hot weather the plastic expands much more than the metal, causing it to pop out.

Curious to see if that is fixed in MY22
Is there a fix? I read somewhere some folks have taken theirs to the dealer and had new clips installed…but does that actually work?

·
7 Posts
Having owned a few different electric vehicles prior to my ID.4, the most obvious missing features are 1) lack of intuitive route planning with charge stops that can be filtered to DC fast chargers by company (Ford Mach E has this). 2) Plug and charge capabilities without having to use NFC from Google/Apple Pay (Ford Mach E also has this and Electrify America is affiliated with Volkswagen but sadly no dice for the ID.4). 3) brake hold/one touch braking - a distinct driving convenience for most EV’s. 4) and the touch features of the infotainment are VERY laggy and doesn’t always register touches or transitions are slow to load.

My father owns the Mustang Mach E and it is by far the better of the two vehicles. Ford Sync 4 and large screens are MUCH better than what the ID.4 has going on. I mean I can’t even see a readout of the odometer or compass direction on the ID.4! The Mach E has a standard garage door opener not standard on the ID4. Ford has a 99.8KW (88KW useable) battery which goes 270+ miles, ID.4 has 82KW (77KW useable) for 250 miles. The Mach E has both UV and Infrared Radiation (heat protection) on its glass roof making a much cooler cabin in the sun, VW you can feel the heat from the sun. The Mach E has a front trunk for extra storage, not so on the ID.4. The Mach E comes with a level 2 charger that can use 240volts/32 amp for much faster home charging, the ID.4 only comes with level 1 charger that will get you 3 - 4 miles an hour the level 2 will cost you an extra $800! Ford has some actual dedicated physical buttons where it makes sense, ID.4 uses touch sensors almost exclusively which don’t always register. And what is the deal with not having all 4 dedicated window controls on the drivers side door?? Strange. The Mach E has a feature filled Phone application (Ford Pass) and can use your phone as a key, the ID.4 (Car Net) can only show battery status, climate control, and charger locations. The Mach E has dedicated charging indicator lights with visual representation of battery charge level and disconnect button inside the charge port door, the ID.4 only has an indicator light showing if the vehicle is charging. And why doesn’t the ID light across the dash stay lit the entire time while charging (it would be an advantage for the ID.4 if it did - seems like a miss). The Mach E has much more soft and comfortable seats versus the ID.4, yes this is opinion but very noticeable. Placement of the AC vents on the Mach E are much more useable and can be directed toward your face, they are too low on the ID.4 and can’t quite be adjusted to blow upward toward a taller driver. The Mach E has 360 degree camera views when the parking sensors sense something at low speeds, the ID.4 only has front and rear.

The only few advantages for the ID.4 are that it has seat massagers, a retractable roof shade, towing capability (2,200 lbs), adaptive headlights with cornering, and 3 years of free charging and overall lower price (which is why I chose the ID.4).

However, I would highly recommend the Ford Mach E over the VW ID.4 for anyone that can spend $55k for the Ford Mach E over the $45k for the VW ID.4. You can tell Ford took their time with developing their first full EV for the masses versus Volkswagen who seems to have rushed its development and release. Both are competent EV’s but Ford’s advantages/premium features make it a much more compelling vehicle. I have taken long road trips in both. Just watch some professional reviews and they will confirm much of what I’ve stated here.

Keep at it, Volkswagen - you’re getting there but your ID vehicles need some more design improvements and features to be on par with Ford and Tesla.

·
81 Posts
I don't think your argument really stands up tbf.

For $55k a Model Y is a much better choice than the Mach-e. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 are competing too.

The ID.4 is $10k cheaper, of course it won't be as good and I would want way more than 20 miles of extra range for that.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts

For $55k a Model Y is a much better choice than the Mach-e. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 are competing too.

The ID.4 is $10k cheaper, of course it won't be as good and I would want way more than 20 miles of extra range for that.
The tax credit drops the Mach-e and ID4 price - Tesla no longer gets that.

·
61 Posts
Having owned a few different electric vehicles prior to my ID.4, the most obvious missing features are 1) lack of intuitive route planning with charge stops that can be filtered to DC fast chargers by company (Ford Mach E has this). 2) Plug and charge capabilities without having to use NFC from Google/Apple Pay (Ford Mach E also has this and Electrify America is affiliated with Volkswagen but sadly no dice for the ID.4). 3) brake hold/one touch braking - a distinct driving convenience for most EV’s. 4) and the touch features of the infotainment are VERY laggy and doesn’t always register touches or transitions are slow to load.

My father owns the Mustang Mach E and it is by far the better of the two vehicles. Ford Sync 4 and large screens are MUCH better than what the ID.4 has going on. I mean I can’t even see a readout of the odometer or compass direction on the ID.4! The Mach E has a standard garage door opener not standard on the ID4. Ford has a 99.8KW (88KW useable) battery which goes 270+ miles, ID.4 has 82KW (77KW useable) for 250 miles. The Mach E has both UV and Infrared Radiation (heat protection) on its glass roof making a much cooler cabin in the sun, VW you can feel the heat from the sun. The Mach E has a front trunk for extra storage, not so on the ID.4. The Mach E comes with a level 2 charger that can use 240volts/32 amp for much faster home charging, the ID.4 only comes with level 1 charger that will get you 3 - 4 miles an hour the level 2 will cost you an extra $800! Ford has some actual dedicated physical buttons where it makes sense, ID.4 uses touch sensors almost exclusively which don’t always register. And what is the deal with not having all 4 dedicated window controls on the drivers side door?? Strange. The Mach E has a feature filled Phone application (Ford Pass) and can use your phone as a key, the ID.4 (Car Net) can only show battery status, climate control, and charger locations. The Mach E has dedicated charging indicator lights with visual representation of battery charge level and disconnect button inside the charge port door, the ID.4 only has an indicator light showing if the vehicle is charging. And why doesn’t the ID light across the dash stay lit the entire time while charging (it would be an advantage for the ID.4 if it did - seems like a miss). The Mach E has much more soft and comfortable seats versus the ID.4, yes this is opinion but very noticeable. Placement of the AC vents on the Mach E are much more useable and can be directed toward your face, they are too low on the ID.4 and can’t quite be adjusted to blow upward toward a taller driver. The Mach E has 360 degree camera views when the parking sensors sense something at low speeds, the ID.4 only has front and rear.

The only few advantages for the ID.4 are that it has seat massagers, a retractable roof shade, towing capability (2,200 lbs), adaptive headlights with cornering, and 3 years of free charging and overall lower price (which is why I chose the ID.4).

However, I would highly recommend the Ford Mach E over the VW ID.4 for anyone that can spend $55k for the Ford Mach E over the $45k for the VW ID.4. You can tell Ford took their time with developing their first full EV for the masses versus Volkswagen who seems to have rushed its development and release. Both are competent EV’s but Ford’s advantages/premium features make it a much more compelling vehicle. I have taken long road trips in both. Just watch some professional reviews and they will confirm much of what I’ve stated here.

Keep at it, Volkswagen - you’re getting there but your ID vehicles need some more design improvements and features to be on par with Ford and Tesla.
What ID4 FE costed me is $36500/- after fed credit, Wait Model Y Similar config available today today ( $53K plus basic color like blue or black $1K, 20inch wheel $1500, tow hitch $1000, $1000 white interior) Total $57500/- Difference is $21K for my config plus high sales tax on $21K extra ($1470) So a real difference of $22470 without fsd... Someone out of mind would buy Model Y when in next two years both cars will be obsolete with new models with higher range

·
7 Posts

Well, I guess that’s all in the eye of the beholder. I’ve owned a Model S, Model 3, Model X, and now a Mustang Mach E and a Volkswagen ID.4. I can tell you that my opinion having owned all of these vehicles that the Mach E is the best overall vehicle - yes even better than the Model X. Plus the Mach E has the $7,500 tax credit bringing the ultimate price of the car below $50K. My second choice would be the ID.4. That’s overall value for the $$.

I like my ID.4 very much but VW needs to address some software issues that are just plain silly. Laggy infotainment, Route planning, plug and play charging, one pedal driving and brake hold at a stop. If they take care of these items they would have the best EV available for the money in my opinion.

But I agree with the other user that in two years there will be even more compelling EV options available. All of which are a good thing. So let’s all play nice on here. I’m simply hoping that VW developer folks read some feedback and that prospective buyers can see at least one owner’s comparison. I agree that I likely will not return to Tesla as they are just overpriced for what you get on their Spartan vehicles. But, we wouldn’t be here is it were not for Tesla pushing the envelope so kudos to them for that!

·
81 Posts
So let’s all play nice on here
Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they aren't "playing nice".

I think you're downplaying Tesla severely. Just because you've owned these cars doesn't make you an authority. If the Mach-e is so superior why don't the sales numbers of all EV cars reflect that?

·
42 Posts
On Youtube at this time having watched probably at least 20 reviews from everyone from pro's to simple users, they ALL have agreed the ride quality and quiet of the ID-4 is superior to both the Ford AND Tesla.........go figure. I would not have thought that. Also the turning radius is superior. The build quality of the Tesla's continue to receive criticisms left and right. The Ford has in NO reviews received praise for it's seat comfort. Also the suspension on the ID-4 was praised as the least "bouncy". I would concur now having a ID-4 and passed on the Ford. The Tesla simply wasn't in my price range anyway and I don't need a 0-60mph in 3 seconds. The ID-4 has already proven itself to me to be able to pass anything and anyone I need to. 100mph comes up all too quickly

481 - 500 of 533 Posts