Volkswagen ID Forum banner
501 - 520 of 533 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
I was never a muscle car guy, so the Mustang name does nothing for me. It was kind of a turn-off, actually. I had put in the ID reservation long before I knew that there would be such a car.

I am kind of turned off by Tesla as well - they do some very strange things, and Elon is kind of a European shower.

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
Plus Teslas are so... common. Every third car where I live is a Tesla (mostly Model 3 and Y now). The ID.4 will be much less common in the US, supported by the low Q2 ID.4 delivery numbers.

·
61 Posts
Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they aren't "playing nice".

I think you're downplaying Tesla severely. Just because you've owned these cars doesn't make you an authority. If the Mach-e is so superior why don't the sales numbers of all EV cars reflect that?
I moved from Tesla, Just the ride quality of ID4 is enough for me to stay away from Model 3 and Y, the cheap interior and failing parts was the last drop. Tesla dont give a shit about customer or quality. Tesla stockholders like my brother and friend who made good money are obligated to buy and market Tesla to each human they see on planet earth. I stay away from both as I am a customer and just be done with Elon fraud and promises. Took fsd money in 2018, sold car already what did i get level 5 I paid for

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
97 Posts
Without descending into the Musk-bashing, I didn't buy a Tesla on price and dealer location: VW is literally around the corner. Audi is too, and in some measure, the Audi Q4 looks to fix the primary defect with the ID4: Gimme more buttons so I can drive, select a radio station (Favorite buttons?) or adjust heat/cooling without having to take my eyes off the road to have my fingers land on the right place. As it stands now, I am struggling to adopt the habit of making changes ONLY when the vehicle is at a stop light.

Seats are wonderful, but I hardly ever use the glass roof, keeping the curtain closed so far. Maybe it's just not a summer thing? Radio speakers are "okay", could be better but I'm not sure how you can upgrade the sound system - even aftermarket (though I've seen links) for a system that has to run through the infotainment system. Speakers only is kind of limiting.

Gimme an APP that does more in terms of info on my car (like a charging curve even or diagnosis or reminds me when the next VW service should be scheduled to comply with VW's horrible Owner's Manual plan), and/or simplifies the charging process and allows remote locking. Frankly the whole lock/unlock thing is annoying and needs to facilitate more control... which I had in my 2014 Acura RDX btw.

As to OTA updates, perhaps a modular approach might allow users to pick and choose whether to upgrade, or to select which options to upgrade and which to keep unmodified. Yes it's hard, but not for a crack team of full time programmers! I mean, this ain't the 1980's man, or even the one-size fits all 00's.

All in it is a great car but requires too much reading to figure out the car and too much reading (while driving) to manage it. Gimme buttons!!! and Apps.

·
8 Posts
I think it would be helpful to have an option for the display to flip between light and dark mode based on the light sensor/headlight operation. Also to fix the overheating of a phone on the Qi pad.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
67 Posts
I think it would be helpful to have an option for the display to flip between light and dark mode based on the light sensor/headlight operation. Also to fix the overheating of a phone on the Qi pad.
I routinely charge both my personal and work iPhones without overheating. They do get warm but not hot to the touch. The only time they overheat is when I use use wireless CarPlay while wireless charging.

·
81 Posts
The headlights are always on, and I'm not sure there is an ambient light sensor. Definitely a good idea though. I'm in dark mode 100% of the time.

·
162 Posts
After a couple of days with the car, I think my biggest disappointment so far is the lack of a folder view when playing a USB stick in media mode. I have a micro SD card with 5,000 songs on it that I used with great pleasure in my Tiguan. With that many songs, the fastest way to search for what I wanted to play was in the folder view which gave me quick access to the material since it was organized in the way that made the most sense to me.

I was surprised when I plugged the SD card into an adaptor and found out that the ID4 had actually gone backwards with respect to this feature. Yes, the music's still there and plays fine, but browsing by genre or artist, etc. just doesn't present the material in the way I want to see it.

And, I also noted that the system does not display album covers when the image is located in the album folder instead of attached to the song itself. That also worked fine on my Tiguan.

Always puzzling when they go backwards like this. It's not even like leaving a CD player out which saves equipment expense and frees up space on the dash. I hope they fix it.

·
81 Posts
After a couple of days with the car, I think my biggest disappointment so far is the lack of a folder view when playing a USB stick in media mode. I have a micro SD card with 5,000 songs on it that I used with great pleasure in my Tiguan. With that many songs, the fastest way to search for what I wanted to play was in the folder view which gave me quick access to the material since it was organized in the way that made the most sense to me.

I was surprised when I plugged the SD card into an adaptor and found out that the ID4 had actually gone backwards with respect to this feature. Yes, the music's still there and plays fine, but browsing by genre or artist, etc. just doesn't present the material in the way I want to see it.

And, I also noted that the system does not display album covers when the image is located in the album folder instead of attached to the song itself. That also worked fine on my Tiguan.

Always puzzling when they go backwards like this. It's not even like leaving a CD player out which saves equipment expense and frees up space on the dash. I hope they fix it.
I think they are moving forward. The future (and present tbf) is streaming media services.

USB sticks full of music are pretty old hat and probably used by a small % of users.

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
USB sticks full of music are pretty old hat and probably used by a small % of users.
If that is true, then the majority of users / owners are missing out. USB sticks provide independence from specific phones *all you music is always in the car) and higher quality audio than bluetooth or other streaming (no jitter issues). You can fit a lot of FLAC or m4a / AAC files on a 128+ GB USB stick. You will have to upgrade the audio in the car to take advantage of the increased fidelity.

·
5 Posts
I think more people simply have their music on their phones especially when you use iTunes as the tool to purchase music. Which means rather than always having music available in the car, you now have your music wherever you and your phone are. Can't speak for quality of sound but in my current car (while waiting for my ID4) I use Carplay with a cable and the quality is good enough for me.

·
162 Posts
I think they are moving forward. The future (and present tbf) is streaming media services.

I understand streaming and use it -- I've had a high-res Qobuz account for some time. However, a fair portion of the music on my SD card is not available on any streaming service -- it is material I either recorded myself, or converted from LP or open reel. Material can also disappear from streaming services due to copyright issues.

My point is, unlike CD players which cost money and use up dash space, it costs them nothing to bring forward existing software coding that exists in all of their other cars. It is like they threw away a perfectly good set of features (folder view and folder album art) for no good reason. That's frustrating and unnecessary. The interesting thing is the owner's manual says the folder view should be present.

I've got an inquiry into VWCustomerCare to see what they have to say about the issue.

·
162 Posts
A quick follow-up to the folder view / album cover issue. I kept reading in the owners manual that file folders could be viewed but wasn't seeing them on my screen. The problem has been solved!

Instead of choosing MEDIA/MUSIC to pick your songs, go directly to the device by selecting MEDIA/USB1 (or 2) and then you see the actual file folders. At that point, you can view all the individual subfolders grouped as they were created on the drive. Interestingly, when you play music chosen through this path, the album art magically displays even when it is not attached to the track.

Not the most intuitive way to do things and it does create and extra step or two, but it does give the results I want.

BTW, I never did receive a reply from VW Customer Care over my question to them. That's a shade disappointing but guess they are busy.

·
62 Posts
Probably discussed somewhere in this thread already, but I really like to see sharper accelerator response in sport mode. The current implementation appears to go through hot molasses before hitting the motor.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
i was hoping there would be a way to boost the output a little bit like you can in other cars, but with all the software lockdowns i'm not holding my breath.

·
276 Posts
i was hoping there would be a way to boost the output a little bit like you can in other cars, but with all the software lockdowns i'm not holding my breath.
The seat cupra born which is based on the same MEB platform does that, it can boost 20KW if memory serves me right.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
67 Posts
OK... now that I've had my ID.4 for about a month... here's what I would change...
  • For the love of god... get rid of the piano black... and as an afterthought, all the hard plastic on the dash too. It looks great until you get in the vehicle the first time.
  • HUD!!!
  • Lit keys on the infotainment system
  • Larger display on the binnacle
  • The 3d tail lights from eurospec models
  • Seats from the euro Max models
  • Truely functional matrix headlights
  • Delay on the seat pressure sensor
  • Get rid of the hard 30 minute limit on climate. I usually wait in my car while charging with A/C and Radio on... and it summarily shots off at 30 minutes without warning... inconvenient if you're using the Bluetooth on a call.
  • Aerial view (I think this also means downward facing cameras in side mirrors)

Just to name a few.

501 - 520 of 533 Posts