Volkswagen ID Forum banner
541 - 560 of 572 Posts

·
52 Posts
Would like to see better rear cross traffic alerts.

My Ford Flex has excellent rear cross traffic alerts. Whether it's a pedestrian walking behind the car or a car coming up from the side that is still far off, it is very sensitive and gives nice audible 'beep beep beep!' alerts.

The ID.4 doesn't seem to recognize pedestrians at all. Also seems to be hit-n-miss whether it recognizes a car coming at you. Most times it starts alerting way too late. When it does alert, all you get is this muted tone that doesn't sound like an 'alert! you are about to get hit!' tone. Also, it seems some times it'll just show a visual red marker on the parking assist screen with no audible alert at all.

·
40 Posts

My Ford Flex has excellent rear cross traffic alerts. Whether it's a pedestrian walking behind the car or a car coming up from the side that is still far off, it is very sensitive and gives nice audible 'beep beep beep!' alerts.

The ID.4 doesn't seem to recognize pedestrians at all. Also seems to be hit-n-miss whether it recognizes a car coming at you. Most times it starts alerting way too late. When it does alert, all you get is this muted tone that doesn't sound like an 'alert! you are about to get hit!' tone. Also, it seems some times it'll just show a visual red marker on the parking assist screen with no audible alert at all.
You can increase the tone volume in the settings. It is kind of hidden but it is there

·
8 Posts
I did my first charge today and I would just like a simplified version of charging. I mean do I really need to plug-in and go into the app and push start charging? I mean all other EV cars all you do is plug-in and go.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
I did my first charge today and I would just like a simplified version of charging. I mean do I really need to plug-in and go into the app and push start charging? I mean all other EV cars all you do is plug-in and go.
Plug and charge is coming in an update, maybe by the end of the year.

·
63 Posts
Oh thank God.
And all other EV's do not Plug and Charge other than Tesla's because they own the infrastructure and the car engineering. Only the Mach-E is currently enabled for plug and charge and if you listen to their boards it rarely works yet. Hopefully since VW owns EA they can get the ID.4 all set for plug and charge and it works like the Tesla's do. Also, I have never had to hit start charging at an EA charger. Just plugged in, clicked member, waved my phone in front of the reader and it starts up.

·
40 Posts
And all other EV's do not Plug and Charge other than Tesla's because they own the infrastructure and the car engineering. Only the Mach-E is currently enabled for plug and charge and if you listen to their boards it rarely works yet. Hopefully since VW owns EA they can get the ID.4 all set for plug and charge and it works like the Tesla's do. Also, I have never had to hit start charging at an EA charger. Just plugged in, clicked member, waved my phone in front of the reader and it starts up.
I guess the thing is, if you have a gas car (which is the market VW is going after, not tesla owners) it is the same process. out the gas pump in, use a card to pay (or tap) and then fill. I think looking at it this way makes it seems not as out of line.

·
63 Posts
I guess the thing is, if you have a gas car (which is the market VW is going after, not tesla owners) it is the same process. out the gas pump in, use a card to pay (or tap) and then fill. I think looking at it this way makes it seems not as out of line.
Definitely the market they are going for, and definitely what we all want from our charging experience and it is the plan for VW this fall to enable Plug and Charge. We're just hoping its as seamless as Tesla, without the Super Charger lines, lol. And if Plug and Charge works were doing way better then ICE cars.

·
40 Posts
Definitely the market they are going for, and definitely what we all want from our charging experience and it is the plan for VW this fall to enable Plug and Charge. We're just hoping its as seamless as Tesla, without the Super Charger lines, lol. And if Plug and Charge works were doing way better then ICE cars.
I would love to have the plug and charge. What I would really like is true 1 pedal driving so i never had to use my brakes.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
834 Posts
I would love to have the plug and charge.
Plug and Charge is an international standard that was ratified last November. As such it has a chance to do Tesla one better, and we could eventually plug in at any DCFC regardless of network and charging would simply commence. Maybe even Tesla's upcoming CCS adapter might eventually support it. One can dream, the spec is there...

·
2018 Chevy Bolt (ID4 future owner?)
69 Posts
Plug and Charge is an international standard that was ratified last November. As such it has a chance to do Tesla one better, and we could eventually plug in at any DCFC regardless of network and charging would simply commence. Maybe even Tesla's upcoming CCS adapter might eventually support it. One can dream, the spec is there...
If Tesla uses adapters, unlikely PnC would work. If they put native CCS plugs in the units, as they do in EU, maybe, but still not likely.

PnC involves exchanges of RSA certificates, much like computers. Likely the VW issued certs for ID4 would use VIN and maybe MAC address of the charge port like hostnames and IP Addresses are used in computer certificates.

CCS uses Powerline Communications (PLC) protocol for data transmission, Tesla uses CANBUS. Since the adapter would need to bridge the protocols, it would need to be an active device (ie computing power). Tesla has said they will likely provide adapters (ie not require CCS owners to buy one), so the MAC address wouldn't match, and the VIN might not get sent to the Supercharger. Thus, when he said activation will most likely be with an app, like most CCS users currently do, I suspect he was saying no PnC for CCS EVs.

Tesla is likely using something more like AutoCharge which is a less stringent form of PnC. With AutoCharge, basically no certificates, and the MAC address of the charging port is the identifier. Or, Tesla may use CANBUS to actually send VIN from the BMS to EVSE. So for Tesla to adopt PnC, it would require work in both their cars, and chargers that I don't think they are interested in doing.

Once EVGo, ChargePoint, and others eventually adopt PnC, it will make things a lot simpler. VW will likely be the billing entity (EA bills VW, VW bills you), and the same would hold true on the other networks.

What remains to be seen is if they can honor the memberships with PnC. Mach-e owners get 250 kWh of free EA charging, once it expires, MME owners are using the app instead of PnC in order to get the Pass+ rates. If they continue using PnC, they pay the Pass member price.

In my state, that is the difference between $.31/kWh with Pass+, $.43/kWh for Pass or Credit Card. It appears EA is struggling to fix this, but then PnC is new. The standard was approved a few years ago, but EA is the first network in the NA region to roll it out. MME and Taycan are the only two models that currently support PnC. So, there isn't a whole lot of pressure for EA to fix things just yet. ID4 owners won't face the dilemma for another 2 years. But, with F150 Lightning, Silverado, Hummer, Lyriq about to hit the streets in the next year or two, there will be a growing demand for PnC to work right.

·
505 Posts
If you turn off the auto hold does it stop the creep?
We're Americans. AFAIK, we've been deigned by VWoA as 'all creep, all of the time'. :sneaky:

When using Poor Man's Manual Auto-Hold (PMMAH), the creep is gone. That's setting ACC after stopping.

·
9 Posts

My car breaks if any thing comes in the way. ID4 pro, Europe model, Denmark.

·
12 Posts
I'm a potential buyer for the AWD Pro S Gradient version of this car, but I am somewhat turned off by things that are missing which are standard for a car at this price range such as Homelink, fog lights, lack of option for a better stereo system, and maybe even ventilated seats.

Off-topic but I've been reading about the federal tax incentive of up to $7500. Assuming you do not owe the government any taxes and you're getting a refund, you do not qualify to get anything? At least from reading that is what it sounds like to me and I wanted to confirm it with other people.

541 - 560 of 572 Posts