Volkswagen ID Forum banner
561 - 572 of 572 Posts

·
85 Posts
I'm a potential buyer for the AWD Pro S Gradient version of this car, but I am somewhat turned off by things that are missing which are standard for a car at this price range such as Homelink, fog lights, lack of option for a better stereo system, and maybe even ventilated seats.

Off-topic but I've been reading about the federal tax incentive of up to $7500. Assuming you do not owe the government any taxes and you're getting a refund, you do not qualify to get anything? At least from reading that is what it sounds like to me and I wanted to confirm it with other people.
I understood it as you'll get a bigger refund. But your total tax liability would need to be at least $7500. So if you pay more than $7500 in federal taxes, you get the whole amount.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,131 Posts
I'm a potential buyer for the AWD Pro S Gradient version of this car, but I am somewhat turned off by things that are missing which are standard for a car at this price range such as Homelink, fog lights, lack of option for a better stereo system, and maybe even ventilated seats.

Off-topic but I've been reading about the federal tax incentive of up to $7500. Assuming you do not owe the government any taxes and you're getting a refund, you do not qualify to get anything? At least from reading that is what it sounds like to me and I wanted to confirm it with other people.
I installed HomeLink myself - ordered the VW part, and the DIY was something like 10 minutes. Dealers are charging far too much for labor (sometimes quoting 4 hours to install something that took me 10 minutes). I suppose on some cars, it might be more involved, but on this car it isn't.

Regarding the tax incentive, it doesn't matter whether you get a refund or not. What matters is your total tax liability.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
172 Posts

I think you misunderstand how the tax credit works. It applies to your federal tax liability. IOW it doesn't matter if you owe or are due a refund when you calculate your taxes, but what you total tax liability is before withholding or other tax payments are applied. Also, if your tax liability happens to be less than the $7500 credit, with a bit of tax planning late in the year you may be able to increase your taxes to be able to take advantage of the entire credit. Example: sell some appreciated stock to incur a capital gain, or do a ROTH conversion on some IRA funds.

·
12 Posts
Thank you Neil, Ericy, and Ben for the explanation. It's very true that I have a misunderstanding of how tax credit works and I'm learning new things. I'm glad I found this forum of ID.4 enthusiast!

In regards to homelink, I just searched and it says it comes with the dimming mirror & compass mirror. Is this the same mirror that's included in the Pro S?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,131 Posts
In regards to homelink, I just searched and it says it comes with the dimming mirror & compass mirror. Is this the same mirror that's included in the Pro S?
Yeah, the mirror with HomeLink has the compass and dimming, but I didn't think it ever came with the car at any trim level. I ordered a replacement mirror with HomeLink from an online VW dealer. My own guess is that VW no longer includes this with any car because of excessive licensing fees for HomeLink from Gentex. People who want it can still easily get it, but it doesn't bump the price of the car for everone else.

Anyways, instructions here:

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
194 Posts
HomeLink is a $350 dealer installed option. Most of the cars on dealer lots have it. The headlights are OK and the turning lights are cool, the ventilated seats maybe too upmarket for this price range, but a better stereo option for Gradient makes sense.

·
42 Posts
I would like to see an attachment point for a hitch receiver on the rear "impact bar" crossmember for the ID.4 Pro, similar to the one on the First Edition. I am very disappointed that I can not install a hitch mounted bicycle rack for at least 3-4 bicycles on my ID.4 Pro, which was child's play on my 2012 VW Beetle. Mounting bicycles on the roof is dangerous, strenuous and severely shortens travel range.

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
98 Posts
VW please spec these ID 4 vehicles with a proper rear license plate mounting bracket or plastic mounting inserts. VW is advising dealers to just screw into the bumper, not a great technique for a $40K+ vehicle. My screw holes are now too large due to the dealership mounting the frame and plate poorly. I never had a vehicle without a dedicated mounting bracket or mounting plastic inserts. VW needs to utilize the recessed area with the 2 torx bolts with either a bracket like the one linked below or a plastic insert link below. I am sure in Europe it utilizes those 2 torx bolts with some kind of bracket. If anyone has any experience with these solutions please post. I want to purchase the $79 Lightspeed bracket but its pricey and I am not sure if its using the 2 torx bolts to mount bracket, hard to see in pics. 2021 iD.4 Rear License Plate Bracket Volkswagen ID.4 Rear License Plate Bracket Kit | Etsy

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
25 Posts
VW has limited leeway on that last bullet due to government regulation. If they're above the minimum volume, they could reduce it. Otherwise, as long as the car is "in gear" and could start moving, or is moving at <= 30 kph, the sound is required.
I completely welcome the pedestrian warning at the volume it is currently at. After driving a Bolt for 2 years before the ID.4 and stopping twice just prior to hitting someone stepping back from the back of the SUV that they were loading and in front of me (going about 2 mph on asphalt - super stealth mode in Bolt) in a parking lot, we need to be sure that others know we are approaching in our ID.4.

·
796 Posts
The nearest EA is Annapolis MD - I used it just the other day with success (150kW), and it is sort of on the way. But it is also true that there isn't much out on Eastern Shore except for a handful of 50kW ChargePoint, one lone EVgo in Queenstown (that is sometimes busy), and something at the Ocean City convention center (which isn't always going to be convenient).

For the tourists that come to the area, I sometimes wonder if hotels should be incentivized to provide L2 charging to their guests. Far less costly to install, and it would reduce any potential bottlenecks at DCFC.

I hear rumors that someone is going to be installing more somewhere, but I haven't heard anything concrete about locations, which network, or power levels.

Going south from Salisbury to Virginia Beach, you are entering a no-mans-land - the only EA is Newport News, which is really out of your way if you are trying to reach I-95. From home, it would be 244 miles to the 1st EA charger in Emporia VA, which is really uncomfortably far for nearly any EV. A new EA station in Virginia Beach could help a lot.
Today while charging I happened to meet Ian an EA station construction project manager. He monitors station locations, planning and getting on line. His area is DE, MD, VA WV and NC and Delmarva peninsula, he said to expect a station in Queenstown (outlet mall?) or Princess Anne (mid peninsula?) early next year and one in OC late 2022.
Takes 6-8 months to get a lease and paperwork and design done. 6-8 weeks for construction, pedestals and transformers and wiring. Then 6-8 months to get power company connections 😬.
Exact locations weren't provided 😁.

561 - 572 of 572 Posts