Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Towing Follow Up On Performance / Range / Issues

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ocsurfer59 
#1 ·
I am super pleased with my ID 4 .............
I tested my tow performance on a 500 mile trip from Ocean City NJ to Limerock race track in CT. Northwestern CT is a charging desert for sure. My tow cargo trailer weighs in at 2000 lb loaded. Pros , the ID4 tows beautifully and better than my MB 350. Cons , I have not done a detailed final analysis of the utilization and range BUT based on rough charging calculation between charging waypoints it appears that the range is( +- )1.5 hours or 75 mi between charges meaning 80% down to 10%. The broad take away is the ID 4 is best suited for local towing up to < 2000 lb.

NOTE: Since I returned and charged to 80% my dash range indicator will not move much above 150 mi. So is this a tech issue perhaps requiring a reset / reboot or out putting the adjusted range with tow. Due to length of time trailer was in tow did the system auto calculate or recalibrate for trailer ?

All comments appreciated.

#2 ·
NOTE: Since I returned and charged to 80% my dash range indicator will not move much above 150 mi. So is this a tech issue perhaps requiring a reset / reboot or out putting the adjusted range with tow. Due to length of time trailer was in tow did the system auto calculate or recalibrate for trailer?
The range estimate has to be based on something, so past history is a good indicator.

I haven't seen anybody post the rules that VW uses, and haven't cracked open the manual. My i3 estimates range based on the efficiency over last 18 miles driven.

I expect the ID.4 does something similar. It shouldn't require any intervention on your part. A system reset might cause it to predict 350 miles like many of ours did on the dealership lot.

#3 ·
The range estimate has to be based on something, so past history is a good indicator.

I haven't seen anybody post the rules that VW uses, and haven't cracked open the manual. My i3 estimates range based on the efficiency over last 18 miles driven.

I expect the ID.4 does something similar. It shouldn't require any intervention on your part. A system reset might cause it to predict 350 miles like many of ours did on the dealership lot.
Great info and comment. Makes sense. Thanks

#7 ·
I'm super impressed with the behavior of B mode on braking with trailer. I gave it a good workout with elevation changes in NW Connecticut. I felt more confident than paddle downshifting MB E 350 with 7 speed. I do push factor specs and in this case all was Coolio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.