Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
596 Posts
I am still interested to know if the ID4 will have an electrical connection for US 4-pin or 7-pin. Also if it will control trailer brakes or if I have to wire in my own controller.
This seems to be the $64K question. I suspect that until the US version hits the US shores, we won't have the answer. Dealers certainly seem to be clueless.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
159 Posts
Out of curiosity, I removed the cap over the trailer wiring yesterday. Here's a pic of the dealer demo car, the rest are of mine:

I was simple enough (albeit awkward) to remove the four T25 torx screws but then for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get any further:

There's very little slack in the wiring and a very tight space on the passenger side to get fingers up and behind the metal plate. I managed to get my phone up in the slot and take a blurry but useful photo showing a red locking tab:

The tab needs to slide upward to unlock the trailer wiring connector from the cap. I used a screwdriver to push that up by feel since I couldn't really see up in there. Once removed, the cap could be wiggled off and it's more obvious once it was in my hand:

Here's what the 7 pin wiring connector looks like:

This seems to be pretty standard VW/Audi protocol and there are posts in VW Atlas forums and similar showing what to do from there. They should have included a flip cap instead of this blank off plate:

Apparently there are Amazon versions for a lot less. I have no current plans to tow anything but I'm tempted to get the flip cap dealie just to spare my fingers future scrapes and punishment if I need to tow something.

·
VW ID.4 FE Reservation
61 Posts
Apparently there are Amazon versions for a lot less. I have no current plans to tow anything but I'm tempted to get the flip cap dealie just to spare my fingers future scrapes and punishment if I need to tow something.
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/Pollak-11-893P-7-Way-Socket-Style/dp/B000B6NQHW/ the other day, even though I don't have the car yet. The part is $12 or so. Here's the back side of the connector, it looks like it matches that wire harness.

For credit, here's the original post on this forum that mentioned this part: US ID.4 First Edition tow hitch

·
45 Posts
Interesting that the label says 2700 lbs towing capacity, and 270 tongue weight... Thought the FE was 2200 lbs towing capacity.

·
309 Posts
Interesting that the label says 2700 lbs towing capacity, and 270 tongue weight... Thought the FE was 2200 lbs towing capacity.
Correct, likely due to handling or motor load limitations on RWD, but it shares the same hitch which makes sense.

·
596 Posts
One of the differences between the AWD 2700 lb rating and the RWD 2200 lb rating is the fact that the AWD version has larger front disk brakes.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
113 Posts
I wonder if there are any subtle changes in the 1st as compared to the RWD like suspension tuning or computer changes that make it so the RWD does not easily tow. Did not want the 1st or the AWD but still want to tow.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
51 Posts
We just got our ID.4 1st Edition last week, and I have been asking about this; and it is great to know that the connection is right there. I saw the plate, and thought it was the hatch door sensor.

Edit: I ordered the Pollack 7-pin socket from etrailer.com for $12.04: https://www.etrailer.com/p-PK11893.html
And I got a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter also by Pollack for $7.04: https://www.etrailer.com/p-PK12716.html

So, less than $20 total for these.

I added a Class II drawbar with 3 1/4" drop X 6 1/4" long (under the VW spec of 7" max) for $34.25: https://www.etrailer.com/p-C45017.html
I also got a pin for $3.13 and an 1 7/8" ball (for my utility trailer) for $14.38. Total with shipping and sales tax was about $84.

We also have a hitch on our Bolt EV, and the wiring connection there is more difficult; because the brake lights are on the hatch door, and the connectors that are down in behind the bumper only work when the hatch door is open. But that is not the topic here - I just mention it because I want to keep the plug on the trailer the way it is.

·
214 Posts
If this is the wrong thread to ask this in, please ignore me, but has anyone posted any numbers/data on efficiency and range and such when towing anything? I know I saw one forum member post pictures of their bike hitch attachment all loaded up but I don't think I saw numbers from that person yet; but regardless, I'm very interested in the range with a small trailer attached, as I am thinking I'll want to try something like that for a trip or two once I have my ID.4.

·
51 Posts

·
51 Posts
If this is the wrong thread to ask this in, please ignore me, but has anyone posted any numbers/data on efficiency and range and such when towing anything? I know I saw one forum member post pictures of their bike hitch attachment all loaded up but I don't think I saw numbers from that person yet; but regardless, I'm very interested in the range with a small trailer attached, as I am thinking I'll want to try something like that for a trip or two once I have my ID.4.
We have not had the ID.4 long enough for this, but our Bolt EV definitely loses about 25% even with a light weight trailer. Most of the loss is due to much greater aerodynamic drag; so this depends on your trailer, and how fast you drive. Towing at lower speeds is important for many reasons, including minimizing the range loss.

Towing an EV with a trailer is great - the smooth torque puts ICE towing to shame.

·
1 Posts
Most of the loss is due to much greater aerodynamic drag; so this depends on your trailer, and how fast you drive. ...
Exactly. It really depends on the trailer
... our Bolt EV definitely loses about 25% even with a light weight trailer.
Could be even worse. Nextmove got even 26% less range between different trailers towed by an ID.4 in their test.
(Sorry, but thats a german youtube-channel of a german electric car rental company.)

·
51 Posts
Exactly. It really depends on the trailer

Could be even worse. Nextmove got even 26% less range between different trailers towed by an ID.4 in their test.
(Sorry, but thats a german youtube-channel of a german electric car rental company.)
That is a tall and boxy trailer - which is going to have a bigger effect than a lower utility trailer, which is partially tucked down into the air pocket behind the car. And, it was in snowy winter conditions - colder air has even more aerodynamic drag, and slippage on snow, even with good winter tires, is also going to affect energy use.

·
3 Posts
I wonder if there are any subtle changes in the 1st as compared to the RWD like suspension tuning or computer changes that make it so the RWD does not easily tow. Did not want the 1st or the AWD but still want to tow.
I am testing my 1st E with my 5x 8 fully loaded +- 2000 lb touring weight and all is well. If on hilly roads I run in B and it really brakes well. I am comparing it to my MB E 350 which is my tow rig ! I feel the ID 4 is better. The range seems to reduced by 25% or so in my coastal area route. All IMHO.

·
VW ID.4 FE Reservation
61 Posts
I am testing my 1st E with my 5x 8 fully loaded +- 2000 lb touring weight and all is well. If on hilly roads I run in B and it really brakes well. I am comparing it to my MB E 350 which is my tow rig ! I feel the ID 4 is better. The range seems to reduced by 25% or so in my coastal area route. All IMHO.
Any issues installing the trailer wiring harness port? Did you have the dealer do it, or did you buy the $12 part yourself and install it?

·
7 Posts
Any issues installing the trailer wiring harness port? Did you have the dealer do it, or did you buy the $12 part yourself and install it?
I decided to steer clear on the adapter and waiting on dealer to install
Waiting on dealer. I smelled trouble when I saw the torx and unknown behind the plate! I used a remote battery set for my test riding . Dunno they don't ship with 4 pin.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts