Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my trailer light parts and if I can pry the car away from my wife this weekend I will do the install and note any problems or issues. Thank you NeilBlanchard for the research and part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 1 1/4 draw bar from the front hitch on my truck and I will use that when needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the install I did this morning. It took me about an hour.
First remove the Torx screws and the blank plate. Hood Sky Automotive tire Bumper Shade

Once you get the screws out, pull the plate down so you can see the red clip, and push it up to release the blank plate. I used a long screwdriver to push the clip up. Tap Plumbing fixture Bathroom sink Sky Sink

I turned the plug on its side to get a better view of the clip. Automotive lighting Camera lens Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades

Plug the adaptor into the harness and push the red clip down to lock it in. Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

You must rotate the adaptor so the hinge is to the rear of the vehicle. Hand Gesture Finger Gadget Fixture

If the hinge is forward, the cover will not open enough to get the other adaptor in. Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Plug in the 7 to 4 adaptor, ring it out and your done!! Hand Tire Automotive tire Wheel String instrument

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the center of the shear pin hole in the draw bar must be 7" or less from the center of the hitch ball. There are also restrictions if the ball is offset up or down.
Motor vehicle Font Vehicle door Automotive exterior Gas

I thought I could use the drawbar from the front hitch of my truck, but it is 3" too long.
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

It is very important to stay within that 7" or extra strain will be put on the hitch.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Spin Could you please take a photo showing the back of the car after install. I'm wondering how much the spring flap is evident sitting below the bumper Is the flap cover even visible from normal view? It's not a big deal either way, but I'm curious how it looks. Thanks.
Wood Gesture Flooring Finger Floor

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is visible if you get down level with the bumper but from a trailing driver's perspective,
Tire Hood Automotive tire Grille Bumper
Tire Grille Vehicle Wheel Window
it is hardly noticeable.

·
2021 1st
874 Posts
You must rotate the adaptor so the hinge is to the rear of the vehicle. View attachment 2995

If the hinge is forward, the cover will not open enough to get the other adaptor in. View attachment 2996
Thanks for the photos!

When you orient it this way the nub on the cover is assisted by gravity (along with the spring mechanism) in locking your adapter in place.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the photos!

When you orient it this way the nub on the cover is assisted by gravity (along with the spring mechanism) in locking your adapter in place.
The 7 to 4 adaptor is keyed and only goes into the receptacle one way. Turning the receptacle 180 degrees will not work because the cover hits the bumper and will not open enough to get the 7 to 4 adaptor in. I don't know if turning the receptacle 90 degrees one way or the other will work because I didn't try that. It definitely works with the hinge towards the back of the car. The spring-loaded cover does hold the 7 to 4 adaptor in place.

·
2021 1st
874 Posts
I don't know if turning the receptacle 90 degrees one way or the other will work because I didn't try that
Yeah, that's why I commented on your orientation resulting in gravity pushing the nub down in case anyone experimented with it 90 degrees out.

The way you did it is the way it's oriented on my Touareg so I'm guessing it's that way in case the spring weakens/fails over time. I think the hinge is always toward the back in domestic trucks, too, although it's been a couple years since I've messed with one.

·
59 Posts
First, thanks for the part numbers and guidance! I finally got my parts from etrailer. Everything went together perfectly, but I don't actually have a trailer (I plan to rent one occasionally). Just to check the wiring, I plugged in a trailer wiring tester I bought from Amazon. Three of the LEDs flickered a bit, but that was it. No reaction from lights, pedals, blinkers, etc. I tried a multimeter and had the same results.

Does the iD.4 need to sense the resistance of actual light bulbs in order to activate? Do I need to turn on "trailer mode" somewhere? Or did I somehow mess everything up and have broken trailer connection? Hopefully someone knows the answer. Thanks!

·
2021 1st
874 Posts
The vehicle will sense when a trailer is connected and go into "trailer mode" without you having to turn on anything manually. It might be that the trailer tester isn't providing enough resistance for the ID4 to sense it. There isn't anything for you to mess up, though, because the connectors are keyed in a way that they will only plug into each other correctly. I suppose there is some amount of force one could exert to override that but you'd have realized what you were doing. Do you remember lining up the plug?

·
59 Posts
The vehicle will sense when a trailer is connected and go into "trailer mode" without you having to turn on anything manually. It might be that the trailer tester isn't providing enough resistance for the ID4 to sense it. There isn't anything for you to mess up, though, because the connectors are keyed in a way that they will only plug into each other correctly. I suppose there is some amount of force one could exert to override that but you'd have realized what you were doing. Do you remember lining up the plug?
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Yes, I definitely lined up the keys, but did struggle with the clip a bit. Is there any indication on the display when it senses the trailer? I'm tempted to take it to U-Haul and tell them I want to check the wiring before renting a trailer in the near future. But if what I'm seeing is normal, I'll just wait till I actually need a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First, thanks for the part numbers and guidance! I finally got my parts from etrailer. Everything went together perfectly, but I don't actually have a trailer (I plan to rent one occasionally). Just to check the wiring, I plugged in a trailer wiring tester I bought from Amazon. Three of the LEDs flickered a bit, but that was it. No reaction from lights, pedals, blinkers, etc. I tried a multimeter and had the same results.

Does the iD.4 need to sense the resistance of actual light bulbs in order to activate? Do I need to turn on "trailer mode" somewhere? Or did I somehow mess everything up and have broken trailer connection? Hopefully someone knows the answer. Thanks!
I was able to test with a test light and all functions worked. Signals, stop lights and running lights.

Hand Tire Automotive tire Wheel String instrument

1 - 20 of 25 Posts