Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone speak to the towing for the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer?
I can't imagine that I would need a breaks for a trailer that, when fully loaded, is less than 400 pounds tow weight and maybe 50-60lbs hitch weight...

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Pretty sure in the U.S. 1,500 lbs. is the limit for an un-braked trailer.

·
1st Edition
207 Posts
Assuming that the factory releases a hitch solution for the RWD cars, I would assume it is the same as the First Edition. 2200 lbs with brakes. I don't know what the tongue weight is rated for, usually 150-250 lbs for a Class I

·
691 Posts
Assuming that the factory releases a hitch solution for the RWD cars, I would assume it is the same as the First Edition. 2200 lbs with brakes. I don't know what the tongue weight is rated for, usually 150-250 lbs for a Class I
Physically the hitch for the RWD version and the AWD version is the same, it is a 1.25" class II hitch. The AWD has a higher tow rating due to having larger front brakes.

·
23 Posts
The AWD has a higher tow rating due to having larger front brakes.
That's interesting! I hadn't heard that, and I had wondered what was different. Obviously the motor is different between FE and PRO AWD, but 228 ft-lbs / 201 hp is still decent (compared to, say, an AWD Rav4 with 172 lb-ft/176hp and 3500 lbs towing capacity).

·
1st Edition
207 Posts
Physically the hitch for the RWD version and the AWD version is the same, it is a 1.25" class II hitch. The AWD has a higher tow rating due to having larger front brakes.
Yes, and, there's a bumper cutout and the wiring to account for. It may all be there, I don't suppose we'll know until we see one.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Does the AWD have physically larger brakes or greater braking capacity due to the front motor's regenerative braking?

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
There was a discussion of this a while back. In the service manuals there are 2 models of brakes listed 1LB/1LF and 1LC/1LN. We have confirmed that the FE's with the hitch have the 1LC version which are bigger and have 2 piston calipers. If someone who has a Pro or Pro S and could check their build sticker to see which code is there is we could narrow the question down a little. I am betting that the AWDs have the 1LC brakes like the FEs.

Reactions: theboomr

·
23 Posts
Assuming that the factory releases a hitch solution for the RWD cars
Now that the plain-old Pro is out, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone can take a photo of the hitch area. I'm especially curious if the internal wiring connector ("Pollak 11-893P") is behind the black plastic plate, like on the FE. I suspect the mounting holes for the hitch assembly are there. In that case, maybe all it needs is the hitch assembly and Pollak-11-893P adapter.

But it's also possible that the bumper plastic lacks a cutout, which would make it hard to see what's there and isn't there.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Now that the plain-old Pro is out, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone can take a photo of the hitch area. I'm especially curious if the internal wiring connector ("Pollak 11-893P") is behind the black plastic plate, like on the FE. I suspect the mounting holes for the hitch assembly are there. In that case, maybe all it needs is the hitch assembly and Pollak-11-893P adapter.

But it's also possible that the bumper plastic lacks a cutout, which would make it hard to see what's there and isn't there.
Installing a hitch on a Pro is prohibitively expensive. The crash bar that the hitch bolts to is alone over $700, and requires bumper cover removal to install. The wiring harness has to be installed as well.

·
8 Posts
Installing a hitch on a Pro is prohibitively expensive. The crash bar that the hitch bolts to is alone over $700, and requires bumper cover removal to install. The wiring harness has to be installed as well.
I just looked at mine. There is just a big hole with nothing to mount to. This is a severe issue for anyone wanting a bike rack to luggage storage.

·
ID4 Pro S - ordered
1 Posts
My dealer told me that they 'spoke to VW' and VW said there would not be a hitch available in the US for the RWD ID4s other than the 1st edition. No exception. It is not in the plans. Bummer!

·
283 Posts
My dealer told me that they 'spoke to VW' and VW said there would not be a hitch available in the US for the RWD ID4s other than the 1st edition. No exception. It is not in the plans. Bummer!
I'd eventually expect an aftermarket one from e.g. Thule (they've renamed to Brink again) to be honest.
could always send them an email.

[edit]
Ugh, the good news is that Brink already has a European one.
The bad news: reading the installation guide shows that there is a TON of values to be changed in the ECU to allow the car to recognize it now has a towbar.
these changes require a token from the factory, so forget any home install. this is clearly an installation at the dealer.

for the interested: https://perfion.brinkgroup.eu:49354...&cache_token=a1a47154dfa5a882357c467e3f960d69

1 - 14 of 14 Posts