Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have not been able to operate the Trunk Easy Open/Close. Per the video, you need to have the key near the hatch and then swing my leg quickly under the center of the bumper and then I can open/close the trunk.

The manual says "The Easy Open Sensor function is not working
  • The trailer hitch is extended...
  • The vehicle was retrofitted with a trailer hitch...

My car has a hitch attached to it, does that mean I'm out of luck?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have not been able to operate the Trunk Easy Open/Close. Per the video, you need to have the key near the hatch and then swing my leg quickly under the center of the bumper and then I can open/close the trunk.

The manual says "The Easy Open Sensor function is not working
  • The trailer hitch is extended...
  • The vehicle was retrofitted with a trailer hitch...

My car has a hitch attached to it, does that mean I'm out of luck?
You have the same stock hitch receiver that all the rest of us have.

It took a little practice, but I did get it to work for me. I started with the key in my pocket. Then I would swing my foot kind of under where the hitch is - not too fast. I recall that you should hear a chirp noise when this happens, and then the door opens (I think I needed to step back after swinging my foot to allow room for the thing to open).

Essentially the same procedure to close. Swing your foot and step back.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the same stock hitch receiver that all the rest of us have.

It took a little practice, but I did get it to work for me. I started with the key in my pocket. Then I would swing my foot kind of under where the hitch is - not too fast. I recall that you should hear a chirp noise when this happens, and then the door opens (I think I needed to step back after swinging my foot to allow room for the thing to open).

Essentially the same procedure to close. Swing your foot and step back.
OK, I will try tomorrow. Thank you.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
With my 2018 Atlas the rear open/close works more reliably when I pull my foot AWAY from the car.

Stand near the back gate, lift leg and place slowly under hitch area, pull leg back to the ground medium-fast.
(This is actually the technique practiced in the VW video above at 0:55 and 1:02)

The 2018 setup is very sensitive to light reflections off of things like nearby windshields on bright days.

I'm interested to try my technique on the 2021 sensor and see if it is better.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
It's all about foot wave - step back technique. It's similar to other marque vehicles (e.g. wife's GLA), and frustrated me initially as well. Once you get it you'll be all set from then on. (y)

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
Also be sure this feature is activate in the settings. I have no idea where but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

Has anyone seen a setting for the doors to lock automatically when you walk away from the car? I thought I saw that somewhere while quickly flipping around during a test drive and now I can't find it again (if I really saw it).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Take your time going thru All the "Vehicle" settings to include exterior/interior toggle, revolving the vehicle avatar, and fully scrolling up/down. There are a lot of settings! And even then this is like an iPad-controlled vehicle!

Related funny anecdote - my wife suggested I pull out into the driveway and then via iPad go thru every VW ID.4 Training YouTube (many!) with the vehicle systems active for orientation. I agreed with her that this would be a good process, but also reminded her that I didn't need to pull out of the garage (zero emissions). 🤪

Also be sure this feature is activate in the settings. I have no idea where but I'm pretty sure I saw it. (y)

Has anyone seen a setting for the doors to lock automatically when you walk away from the car? I thought I saw that somewhere while quickly flipping around during a test drive and now I can't find it again (if I really saw it). (y)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
Related funny anecdote - my wife suggested I pull out into the driveway and then via iPad go thru every VW ID.4 Training YouTube (many!) with the vehicle systems active for orientation. I agreed with her that this would be a good process, but also reminded her that I didn't need to pull out of the garage (zero emissions). 🤪
I did the same thing yesterday, but I did pull out of the garage since it was warm and sunny. Sometimes I would pause the videos so I could try it on my own car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
[truth be told I had already intended doing so, but I like to give her a "win" when I can. ;)

I'm the type who reads the Owner's Manual cover-to-cover day one. But this manual is quite small and I'm more a visual learner anyway so went the video route.

Wait, she is saying we should READ THE DIRECTIONS before messing around???
Yes, I too paused the training video's and inputted/changed a very few settings as a result. Although the default set is pretty good.

·
554 Posts
[truth be told I had already intended doing so, but I like to give her a "win" when I can. ;)

I'm the type who reads the Owner's Manual cover-to-cover day one. But this manual is quite small and I'm more a visual learner anyway so went the video route.

Yes, I too paused the training video's and inputted/changed a very few settings as a result. Although the default set is pretty good.
I've found that I have to bias my foot slightly to the right of the hitch.
BTW, there's a small arrow on the front door "handles". If you "press" on that spot the vehicle locks. Then I check the mirrors folded and no annoying (to me) horn beep.
Have you ever forgotten where you park? I hold my fob in the air and press the emergency "button", then the horn sounds. Then I say "There she is". (Sucks getting old)

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
btw: The lock-sound is off by default (which I too don't like and wish my neighbor would be more considerate) but it may be turned on. As I said, a lot of settings there are. ;)

I've found that I have to bias my foot slightly to the right of the hitch.
BTW, there's a small arrow on the front door "handles". If you "press" on that spot the vehicle locks. Then I check the mirrors folded and no annoying (to me) horn beep.
Have you ever forgotten where you park? I hold my fob in the air and press the emergency "button", then the horn sounds. Then I say "There she is". (Sucks getting old)

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
289 Posts
FYI, I believe that the foot sensor under the bumper is centrally located with antennae that go off to both the left and the right for about a foot. The bumper cover may need to be removed to see the actual location but this should help with technique. I'm about 50-50 whether it will open or if I need to push the button or try the foot wag again.

·
30 Posts
Also be sure this feature is activate in the settings. I have no idea where but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

Has anyone seen a setting for the doors to lock automatically when you walk away from the car? I thought I saw that somewhere while quickly flipping around during a test drive and now I can't find it again (if I really saw it).
Not sure if anyone ever replied to this but yes you did see it and it doesn't exist all at the same time. There are settings that show up only when the ignition is off for a while and then magically disappear when the car is powered up. VW has yet to provide a logical explanation. The one I've assumed is that these features are going live in a future update. Also, they are on the European model

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
Not sure if anyone ever replied to this but yes you did see it and it doesn't exist all at the same time. There are settings that show up only when the ignition is off for a while and then magically disappear when the car is powered up. VW has yet to provide a logical explanation. The one I've assumed is that these features are going live in a future update. Also, they are on the European model
As an aside, I also removed my trailer hitch receive on the FE. It’s worked flawless since. Prior I was having issues, but could have been user error - so I am not saying that helped anything because I didn’t isolate the change….But, it’s working flawlessly (Always remember to move out of the way - it won’t open if you stand there - safety feature).

·
30 Posts
Mine works reliably as well but I put my foot under the bumper to the right of center about 1/4 of the way. I believe I saw that in a video or in the manual. Can't remember.

·
22 Posts
So I’ve hurt my foot multiple times doing the foot wag.
I did learn that if you have your lift gate set to open at a reduced height you can override it by depressing the button on the key for 3 sec.
Oh and BTW yesterday my lift gate latch broke and the lift gate won’t fully close. It may be a design defect from what I can see.

·
22 Posts
How does that happen?
I wag left and hit the hitch against my ankle. I guess I don’t know where the focal point is for the sensor. Will it work if you wag/kick against the ground? Or does your foot need to be raised?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts