Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using a TT-30 outlet at a campground (30A at 120V)? I’m curious if the onboard charger can handle an evse that could pass the full 30A through (like on a Tesla or Leaf) or if it’s limited to 10-12ish amps on the ID.4 side for 120V (like on a Bolt).

·
397 Posts
Has anyone tried using a TT-30 outlet at a campground (30A at 120V)? I’m curious if the onboard charger can handle an evse that could pass the full 30A through (like on a Tesla or Leaf) or if it’s limited to 10-12ish amps on the ID.4 side for 120V (like on a Bolt).
Even though the TT-30 outlet has the capability of handling a 30 amp RV circuit if you used an adapter to go from the TT-30 plug to a standard 110/120 outlet for the ID4 charger you would only be using 10-12 amps - level 1. I do know there is an adapter to go from a TT-30 to a 50 amp RV plug. But in reality the RV 50 amp plug is really two separate 110/120 circuits and not a 220/240 circuit. The difference is a 220/240 circuit comes off the two different sides of the power coming into your home. But the 50 amp RV comes of the same side of the circuit through separate 110/120 breakers. A level 2 EVSE would not work on a TT-30 outlet.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That makes sense, but it seems like there are some EV versions of the TT-30 to 14-50 adapters (TT-30P to NEMA 14-50R Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds – EVSE Adapters) that, rather than wiring it like you're describing for the standard 50A RV converter, instead they seem to operate a little differently (EV Charging on a TT-30 30-Amp RV Plug), so that a compatible Level 2 charger (and the EVSE adapters seems to imply that juicebox is one of them) could run it at 16 or 24a but still keep the current at 120v, and you'd still get double the normal level 1 charging speed. Depending, of course, on if the ID.4 will take more than normal level 1 (like the Teslas or Leaf), or if it caps it like the Bolt.

·
397 Posts
That makes sense, but it seems like there are some EV versions of the TT-30 to 14-50 adapters (TT-30P to NEMA 14-50R Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds – EVSE Adapters) that, rather than wiring it like you're describing for the standard 50A RV converter, instead they seem to operate a little differently (EV Charging on a TT-30 30-Amp RV Plug), so that a compatible Level 2 charger (and the EVSE adapters seems to imply that juicebox is one of them) could run it at 16 or 24a but still keep the current at 120v, and you'd still get double the normal level 1 charging speed. Depending, of course, on if the ID.4 will take more than normal level 1 (like the Teslas or Leaf), or if it caps it like the Bolt.
A standard 120 volt circuit will not handle safely more than about 20 amps. I know of no EVSE that runs on anything but a 220/240 circuit. And by the way 120 is the voltage not the current. Unless you could find a 220/240 outlet - like a dryer - at an RV park there is no way to have a level 2 EVSE.

·
ID.4 Pro S, Moonstone Gray w/Galaxy Black
32 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that some RV parks offer 50 Amp service (used for Motor Homes) that use a NEMA 14-50 and can deliver up to 12kw. Those will support a portable Level 2 EVSE.

·
397 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that some RV parks offer 50 Amp service (used for Motor Homes) that use a NEMA 14-50 and can deliver up to 12kw. Those will support a portable Level 2 EVSE.
I motor homed for many years and I never saw an RV park that had 14-50 plug ins. There were some 50 amp plug ins but they were not 14-50. But then I have not been in an RV park in 30 years and like everything else I am sure they have changed. I can imagine that some large, high dollar motorhomes having a 220/240 v. 14-50 connection.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I have an openEVSE that works with either 120v up to 16A or 240v via a TT-30 plug.

I haven't used it on my ID. I haven't been camping in a long time and was considering listing it for sale (I bought it for my eGolf a few years ago) but now I'm thinking I might go camping in the ID 4. I'll have to see if I can find a place to test the EVSE out.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Here is a video that shows different plugs you can use for road trips for a Tesla portable EVSE, however, I don't see why it could not be used for a portable j1772 charger.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
I motor homed for many years and I never saw an RV park that had 14-50 plug ins. There were some 50 amp plug ins but they were not 14-50. But then I have not been in an RV park in 30 years and like everything else I am sure they have changed. I can imagine that some large, high dollar motorhomes having a 220/240 v. 14-50 connection.
You can use plugshare.com to find 14-50 outlets. The majority of the locations found are at RV parks and campgrounds.

Reactions: gorj
1 - 9 of 9 Posts