Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to wait in the drivers seat while my wife shops, but cannot figure out how to turn the car completely off and hopefully not set the alarm. I have tried pushing the on/off switch next to the steering column to off, the display will say "Goodbye" but the car will continue with the A/C and Radio on till I open the door and physically get up from the seat. Is there a way to wait in the vehicle and shut it down?

·
Dusk Blue FE
115 Posts
Press the Clima button to bring up the climate control screen. In the upper left corner of that screen, there is an on/off button. This will turn off the A/C.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Do you actually have to get out of the seat, or just open the driver’s door (assuming your wife has already opened the passenger’s side door)? The radio remaining on till the doors are opened is pretty standard VW fare with newer models.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray -ID.4 AWD Pro S Red - both ordered 9/23/20
142 Posts
Do you actually have to get out of the seat, or just open the driver’s door?
They (VW) got us on this one.. It doesn't shut off with just the door open trick...

I'd certainly like a way to put it into nap mode while waiting.

Reactions: epl and NBCGLX

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then what is the on/off button on the steering column for? The opposite happened the other day, I stepped out of the drivers side and left my wife cooking in the car, did not think about turning on the climate and not sure if it would have stayed on if I left with the key

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
The steering column on/off button is basically just a redundant control for folks more accustomed to same. I use it for "ACC" type activities with foot off brake. I sometimes also use it as a 'positive off' after driving, in addition to the parking brake button. Of course getting in, fastening seatbelt, and foot on brake will fully start without using the button. Conversely setting the parking brake and getting out will turn everything off (with a "Goodbye" on the screen that I now look for).
It will take time for many of us to trust all/just the automatic functions.

Then what is the on/off button on the steering column for? The opposite happened the other day, I stepped out of the drivers side and left my wife cooking in the car, did not think about turning on the climate and not sure if it would have stayed on if I left with the key

·
325 Posts
The steering column on/off button is basically just a redundant control for folks more accustomed to same. I use it for "ACC" type activities with foot off brake. I sometimes also use it as a 'positive off' after driving, in addition to the parking brake button. Of course getting in, fastening seatbelt, and foot on brake will fully start without using the button. Conversely setting the parking brake and getting out will turn everything off (with a "Goodbye" on the screen that I now look for).
It will take time for many of us to trust all/just the automatic functions.
Supposedly it also lets someone sitting in the passenger seat with a person in the driver seat turn on infotainment. Is that correct?

·
ID 4 First Edition - Black
70 Posts
I would like to wait in the drivers seat while my wife shops, but cannot figure out how to turn the car completely off and hopefully not set the alarm. I have tried pushing the on/off switch next to the steering column to off, the display will say "Goodbye" but the car will continue with the A/C and Radio on till I open the door and physically get up from the seat. Is there a way to wait in the vehicle and shut it down?
If you hold down the power button under the computer for a LONG time it shuts down the whole computer. If the ignition is already off this should power off the rest.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
144 Posts
Supposedly it also lets someone sitting in the passenger seat with a person in the driver seat turn on infotainment. Is that correct?
Yes, I sat in the car without the key and listened to the radio while I waited at the dealership to put together my paperwork. The system turned off after a while (30 minutes?) but I was able to press the power button again and everything came back on exactly as it had been. There were a few options that were unavailable without the key, not all of which made sense to me. For example, I could not switch the temperature display from Celsius to Fahrenheit unless the key was present. I also could not roll down the windows or close the sunshade, but I could turn on the fan and heater.

·
70 Posts
You can force it to fully turn off while sitting! I finally figured it out.

Press the button to get the "goodbye" like you found. THEN press the lock button on your keys. The mirrors will close (if you have that set) and the car will fully power down.

·
70 Posts
I guess that depends on your settings? But it still knows the keys are in the car. So if you decide to get out the door opens just fine, etc.

I've been doing this without problem.

·
17 Posts
My Kona EV has a power button (and no "turn on with brake pedal"), but I never turn it off while waiting. I just sit in the car with it in park. The radio works, the climate control works, etc. I'm really not worried about the few hundred watt load on the car.
Why do you want it to turn off?

I've only had the opposite problem (in other cars). In the XC40 Recharge, I couldn't at all figure out how to keep the climate control on when the driver got out of the car (and someone was still in the passenger seat).

·
70 Posts
My Kona EV has a power button (and no "turn on with brake pedal"), but I never turn it off while waiting. I just sit in the car with it in park. The radio works, the climate control works, etc. I'm really not worried about the few hundred watt load on the car.
Why do you want it to turn off?

I've only had the opposite problem (in other cars). In the XC40 Recharge, I couldn't at all figure out how to keep the climate control on when the driver got out of the car (and someone was still in the passenger seat).
Honestly I mostly don't want to or need to. But its nice to know and have the option? I like to understand all the ways my technology works...

·
24 Posts
What is the correct procedure if I want to leave my teens in the back seat with the air conditioning, the WiFi hot-spot and the radio running so i can run into a CVS or 7/11 for a few minutes while they wait in the car? Every time I get out of the car it shuts down.

Do I leave the key with them and put a bowling ball in the front seat to fake out the ID4 so it thinks a person is sitting there?

It's already hitting the low 90's here on some days and its miserable and somewhat dangerous to sit in a hot car even for a short time.

This is very confusing...

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
221 Posts
What is the correct procedure if I want to leave my teens in the back seat with the air conditioning, the WiFi hot-spot and the radio running so i can run into a CVS or 7/11 for a few minutes while they wait in the car? Every time I get out of the car it shuts down.

Do I leave the key with them and put a bowling ball in the front seat to fake out the ID4 so it thinks a person is sitting there?

It's already hitting the low 90's here on some days and its miserable and somewhat dangerous to sit in a hot car even for a short time.

This is what we have found.

When the driver sets the parking brake and takes off their seatbelt you will see a closing screen. There is a slider for immediate climate control. This will keep HVAC running when you get out of the car. Also if you just get out of the car and leave a key in someone can press the on/off button on the steering column to start the HVAC and radio etc. the key here is the driver needs to be out of the seat already or when they do get out of the seat the whole system shuts off. I still need to test to see if anything happens if no key is in the car. When I need to get out of the car but my wife and kids are still in my wife reaches over and hits the power button on the steering column after I get out and all is well.

That being said, VW needs a better way of doing this and maybe even introducing a dog mode, camping mode etc.

·
142 Posts

When the driver sets the parking brake and takes off their seatbelt you will see a closing screen. There is a slider for immediate climate control. This will keep HVAC running when you get out of the car. Also if you just get out of the car and leave a key in someone can press the on/off button on the steering column to start the HVAC and radio etc. the key here is the driver needs to be out of the seat already or when they do get out of the seat the whole system shuts off. I still need to test to see if anything happens if no key is in the car. When I need to get out of the car but my wife and kids are still in my wife reaches over and hits the power button on the steering column after I get out and all is well.

That being said, VW needs a better way of doing this and maybe even introducing a dog mode, camping mode etc.
Agree they should provide a camping/dog mode in next OTA.

·
70 Posts

Click the X on the goodbye screen and leave the keys? same as you would with a car that has keys in the ignition.

·
2021 1st
945 Posts

To keep the A/C running you'll see a Goodbye screen where you can select "immediate climate control" and it should continue for up to 30 minutes.

I'm not sure about the radio and wifi but it's probably something like push the start button on the side of the steering column after you get up and out of the car.

When I tried this the other day, I was able to turn the car on without a key at all. I came from my house to test, hopped into the passenger seat (that was already unlocked), and pressed the On button and the A/C worked. I can't remember if the radio worked.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts