Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday as I was attempting to leave the office, when I stepped on the break pedal to start the car a bunch of errors popped up (I know they have been mentioned before on here, but I have not been able to find the threads using the search so far). I remember reading about these from others, but from what I can tell they all occurred while driving so the car just kept driving and were able to make it to their destination without any real issues.

But since I was still parked at the time, it would not let me take the car out of park and into reverse nor drive. I had to wait at the office for ~30 minutes to allow the car time to go back to sleep, then tried it again. This time it worked like normal without any indications of errors.

This is a major issue that VW needs to look into. All the errors that came up just indicated problems with the assistance features (such as Travel Assist, Lane Keep Assist, etc) and should not have hindered my ability to still put the car in gear and drive home. Those features should not be a necessity to drive the car.

A lot of people have issues with a broken drive selector, your issue sounds the same.
Afraid you鈥檒l have to have the dealer fix it

ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people have issues with a broken drive selector, your issue sounds the same.
Afraid you鈥檒l have to have the dealer fix it
I'm not sure it is a broken drive selector issue as after waiting for 30 minutes to allow the car to go to sleep, it all worked correctly again. More than likely it is something else causing the assist service errors, which unfortunately trigger something to not allow the car to be driven until corrected. Having the car for about 1.5 months, and this is the first time this happened (and hopefully the last), I am not sure it is an actual error with anything in the car and is instead just one of the many bugs that need to get ironed out. I have my 60 day checkup this weekend and will let them know about it so they can look into it anyways.

I'm not sure it is a broken drive selector issue as after waiting for 30 minutes to allow the car to go to sleep, it all worked correctly again. More than likely it is something else causing the assist service errors, which unfortunately trigger something to not allow the car to be driven until corrected. Having the car for about 1.5 months, and this is the first time this happened (and hopefully the last), I am not sure it is an actual error with anything in the car and is instead just one of the many bugs that need to get ironed out. I have my 60 day checkup this weekend and will let them know about it so they can look into it anyways.
Like you said on your original post, others have reported the same. @ChristophW had similar experience just yesterday:

ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like you said on your original post, others have reported the same. @ChristophW had similar experience just yesterday:
Thanks for the link, I know I had read it somewhere, I just couldn't find it using the search (mainly because I had already forgotten what the errors said specifically). I will also reply to that thread, hopefully if VW is paying attention here they will already be working on finding and fixing this.

ID.4 FE GW
My car had a hard failure like this and had to be towed to the dealer. It was diagnosed to have a broken shifter assembly, and it has been OK since that was replaced about 3 weeks ago. Screen photos and error code reported in posts #32 and #48 of this thread: Electrical Drive System Fault on Day 3 :-(

ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car had a hard failure like this and had to be towed to the dealer. It was diagnosed to have a broken shifter assembly, and it has been OK since that was replaced about 3 weeks ago. Screen photos and error code reported in posts #32 and #48 of this thread: Electrical Drive System Fault on Day 3 :-(
I don鈥檛 remember seeing the electrical drive system failure your picture had, so hopefully it is not a broken shifter for me. I鈥檒l see what the dealer says this weekend though.

Had this happened to me once. Wouldn't shift out of park.
Cycled column on/off button-nope, got out of FE, got back in-nope, depressed brake several times-yup.
Hasn't happened since, figured it was operator error.

Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
It has happened to me twice, but each time it was when I got in and pressed the brake and twisted the shifter in the same second. After a step out of the car and the good bye sound it was fine, but until I got out it would not clear or do anything. I figure I am hitting the power-on and drive sequences so fast that some controller along the way is getting mad at me and not sharing with the others. Looking at my scans, there are a lot of communication errors and I figure that is just what it is.

We are all going to have to come to grips with the fact we're basically driving a software driven computer. Personally I would be willing (being a computer guy) that the software VW has designated for this vehicle has errors in it's code. They may well have to do a major update that will encompass most systems being rewritten let alone the main drive systems. Guess we are indeed beta testers to some degree, but I have little doubt in the end (as in I hope by this years end) VW will have the code rewritten for most all of the major systems in the ID-4 and they won't have the glitches we've seen. When my lease is up in 4 years I would imagine the version of this vehicle will by then be perfected. LOL

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
The code does need work. I now get in and just sit for a minute or two before doing anything else and let everything go thru its full boot up. But then that's what I now do with my 4-year old Mac on Big Sur OS. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I think ChristophW sagely cited that we have to think of the ID.4 software as an office environment and not just a single computer. Lots of networking going on.

The ID.4 in its present condition would make a terrible bank heist get-away car. :p

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Software anomalies aside I'm still glad I got my FE. Manufacturers tend to 'value engineer' mechanicals/trim/etc. in out years to boost profitability that they lost in development and inaugural runs. As I've now oft said the vehicle, as a driving vehicle, exceeds my expectations.
The software, in theory, may always be improved over time. Win-Win (given a positive perspective)
We are all going to have to come to grips with the fact we're basically driving a software driven computer. Personally I would be willing (being a computer guy) that the software VW has designated for this vehicle has errors in it's code. They may well have to do a major update that will encompass most systems being rewritten let alone the main drive systems. Guess we are indeed beta testers to some degree, but I have little doubt in the end (as in I hope by this years end) VW will have the code rewritten for most all of the major systems in the ID-4 and they won't have the glitches we've seen. When my lease is up in 4 years I would imagine the version of this vehicle will by then be perfected. LOL

Yesterday as I was attempting to leave the office, when I stepped on the break pedal to start the car a bunch of errors popped up (I know they have been mentioned before on here, but I have not been able to find the threads using the search so far). I remember reading about these from others, but from what I can tell they all occurred while driving so the car just kept driving and were able to make it to their destination without any real issues.

But since I was still parked at the time, it would not let me take the car out of park and into reverse nor drive. I had to wait at the office for ~30 minutes to allow the car time to go back to sleep, then tried it again. This time it worked like normal without any indications of errors.

This is a major issue that VW needs to look into. All the errors that came up just indicated problems with the assistance features (such as Travel Assist, Lane Keep Assist, etc) and should not have hindered my ability to still put the car in gear and drive home. Those features should not be a necessity to drive the car.
Something similar happened to me after driving for awhile. It wouldn't go into reverse so I parked it, waited about 2 mins then tried it again and it was fine, Took it in for service the next day but they couldn't find a problem. Service manager said these cars are finicky and 99% of the time, "rebooting" solves the issue. Feels like I'm driving a computer with wheels and the operating system is Windows95.

Dusk Blue FE
Just to add to the list, I experienced the "can't shift out of Park" fault today, for the first time. The only clue on the driver's binnacle was a small red exclamation point in a triangle, which the owner's manual unhelpfully calls a "priority 1 warning". I had read this thread but, in the frustration of the moment, I did not remember it. My wife, who has no interest in ID.4 issues, suggested I get out of the car. I turned it off, got out, waited a second, got back in and it shifted properly and restored my mobility.

Today I had a second occurrence of what the infotainment system calls a Travel Assist error. I was attempting to back into a parking space but couldn't engage reverse gear nor drive. I put it into park and stepped out of the car for a few seconds. When I "restarted" it was back to normal. I can't figure out why this periodic failure is being identified by the system as a "Travel Assist" error. I'm going to try disabling all the Travel Assist features tomorrow and see what happens.

I currently have the same issue with my ID 4. It has been at VW service for 2 days now, Had all the same warnings,
My Service Center is working with techs at factory in Germany to resolve the issue, I have 1700 miles on my vehicle.

I currently have the same issue with my ID 4. It has been at VW service for 2 days now, Had all the same warnings,
My Service Center is working with techs at factory in Germany to resolve the issue, I have 1700 miles on my vehicle.
Maybe the issue is with not letting the car boot up properly. I did put it into gear and was rolling prior to the car being booted up all the way that is the screen was not booted up all the way,

1 - 20 of 57 Posts