Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, after reading the "Tires!" thread, I was unsure what the verdict was on Bridgestone's warranty coverage for OEM tires. Do they do pro-rated coverage? My dealer says no but I'd like to hear what other experienced

My issue: ID.4 1st Ed was not holding air on rear passenger tire. Dealer found a nail in it and patched it. But they also said that all four tires were showing unusual wear, particularly in the inner sidewall (pictured). The dealer passed the car for the state inspection but is recommend new tires nonetheless, and quoted me about $1200 for Bridgestone or $1400 for Hankook. I understand from reading this forum that EV tires wear faster, but it just seems very early for new tires as the vehicle only has 17600 miles! I leased the vehicle at 15K/3yrs and was hoping to only need to replace the tires once during the term, but it may end up being a yearly thing... which would really sting. Anyone else experiencing this? What did/would you do? Any thoughts appreciated.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
10 Posts
Yes I am having the same problem with rear tires:( the thread are showing through on the insides of both I have 24k on them dealer said not covered under warranty and Vw confirmed that I feel the uneven wear should have been caught by dealer on prior inspection so make sure they check your tires well on 10k inspection now dealer want to sell me an alignment but to little to late Im out for new tires can anybody recommend something besides Bridgestone .

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am having the same problem with rear tires:( the thread are showing through on the insides of both I have 24k on them dealer said not covered under warranty and Vw confirmed that I feel the uneven wear should have been caught by dealer on prior inspection so make sure they check your tires well on 10k inspection now dealer want to sell me an alignment but to little to late Im out for new tires can anybody recommend something besides Bridgestone .
Oh wow, the thread is already showing? That's probably what will happen with mine when it gets to your mileage. Sigh...
Hankook is the other brand you can source for these through a VW dealer

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sure looks like an alignment issue. Toed out?
What do you mean by "toed out?"
The car is drive-able.

I thought the car needed an alignment months ago and took it in because I felt it was pulling. But the dealer checked it and said no, not needed, and that I was probably just feeling the lane assist pull

·
1,052 Posts
What do you mean by "toed out?"
The car is drive-able.

I thought the car needed an alignment months ago and took it in because I felt it was pulling. But the dealer checked it and said no, not needed, and that I was probably just feeling the lane assist pull
Toe-ed. not towed. Sorry. I just meant looks like what you would see if the alignment for the wheels had a toe measurement that was “out” rather than “in” Think pigeon toed. If your tires ride like that for long, the inner side gets “dragged” along and will wear faster than the rest. If it were toed in. The outside would wear faster.

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toe-ed. not towed. Sorry. I just meant looks like what you would see if the alignment for the wheels had a toe measurement that was “out” rather than “in” Think pigeon toed. If your tires ride like that for long, the inner side gets “dragged” along and will wear faster than the rest. If it were toed in. The outside would wear faster.
OIC, thanks. I can definitely see that. About a month after delivery I hit something on the road (still don't know what it was) that shredded the tire and dented the wheel. Insurance got me a new OEM wheel and tire and the car got an alignment at the dealer during install. Maybe it wasn't done well. I could believe it since during this ordeal, the dealer managed to break the screen on the dashboard and I had to drive in a loaner for a month while a new screen came in :rolleyes:

·
2021 Pro AWD
327 Posts
I'd be curious to see stock alignment specs in addition to this car's measurements. Visually there's a fair amount of negative camber on all ID4 rears and it's a heavyweight without tires that can be rotated so that could be alternative explanation or contributory with toe for this wear pattern.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
267 Posts
When I did a tire self repair I noticed also that the inside thread of the rear tires was bald. Before I replaced all four tires, I had a 4 wheel alignment done at the time I took the car in for the 30K inspection.

·
10 Posts
Hey all, after reading the "Tires!" thread, I was unsure what the verdict was on Bridgestone's warranty coverage for OEM tires. Do they do pro-rated coverage? My dealer says no but I'd like to hear what other experienced

My issue: ID.4 1st Ed was not holding air on rear passenger tire. Dealer found a nail in it and patched it. But they also said that all four tires were showing unusual wear, particularly in the inner sidewall (pictured). The dealer passed the car for the state inspection but is recommend new tires nonetheless, and quoted me about $1200 for Bridgestone or $1400 for Hankook. I understand from reading this forum that EV tires wear faster, but it just seems very early for new tires as the vehicle only has 17600 miles! I leased the vehicle at 15K/3yrs and was hoping to only need to replace the tires once during the term, but it may end up being a yearly thing... which would really sting. Anyone else experiencing this? What did/would you do? Any thoughts appreciated.
View attachment 12593 View attachment 12594 View attachment 12595

·
10 Posts

View attachment 12593 View attachment 12594 View attachment 12595

·
10 Posts

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm thinking I'll hold off on new tires for a few weeks to get a little more wear out of these. Then in about late July, go in for new tires and alignment. Never tried Discount Tires, I always just go to the dealer. But so many folks on this forum like them, I might just give them a try. Need to figure out which kind to get. My dealer only gave two options, the same Bridgestones or Hankook. Those who have replaced tires, what did you replace with?

·
1st Edition
445 Posts
So I'm thinking I'll hold off on new tires for a few weeks to get a little more wear out of these. Then in about late July, go in for new tires and alignment. Never tried Discount Tires, I always just go to the dealer. But so many folks on this forum like them, I might just give them a try. Need to figure out which kind to get. My dealer only gave two options, the same Bridgestones or Hankook. Those who have replaced tires, what did you replace with?
You have 20” wheels on your FE, your choices are very limited. For all season / all weather tires, we have the OEM tires or Michelin CrissClimate2. The Michelins are well regarded in other EV communities (Tesla, MachE, Bolt). There’s a question as to how much range loss there would be, I suspect very little compared to the Alenza.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
267 Posts
For me the reason I went through Discount Tire is because I have their credit card and I get 5% off in addition to any deals they may have. I bought the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. I know that this is subjective, but I always drive on B mode. When I first drove the car, after the installation, I thought I was driving on D mode, because there was almost no rolling resistance.

I spend most of my afternoons on the road. I do deliveries for Amazon Flex, I'm also an Uber and Lyft driver. Everyday drive on the freeway and regular street roads. All I can say is that these tires are extremely quiet compared to the original Bridgestones.

I also want to add that the front bridgestones had chunks of thread that came off. I have a 1st Edition, so no AWD. I also swapped the original 20' with 19s' a while ago. This is why I decided to get another brand of tire.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
148 Posts
I just replaced my OEM 20” Bridgestone tires at 30k. The tech noticed the inside shoulder of all 4 were very worn out and said it was probably an alignment issue. I took it for an alignment at the local VW dealership and they said it was in spec except for the right rear wheel. He said the excessive wear is due to the weight and the camber that VW specifies to have a sporty drive. Basically the tires/wheels lean inward toward the car at the top so the inside edge wears faster. I don’t like it but that’s how it is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts