Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just replaced my OEM 20” Bridgestone tires at 30k. The tech noticed the inside shoulder of all 4 were very worn out and said it was probably an alignment issue. I took it for an alignment at the local VW dealership and they said it was in spec except for the right rear wheel. He said the excessive wear is due to the weight and the camber that VW specifies to have a sporty drive. Basically the tires/wheels lean inward toward the car at the top so the inside edge wears faster. I don’t like it but that’s how it is.
Oh wow, I don't like it either! Darn. But you got 30K mi out of it. I want to try to get more wear out of these in hopes I'd only need to replace once during the lease term. These tires as they are passed the state inspection, so I think they still have life in them. But I also don't want to be unsafe so it's hard to balance

·
2,152 Posts
Alignment should be one thing to inspect.
Another thing to consider if you driving ID4 at full tire pressure and not having 4 passengers or heavy cargo in the back it will result in wears like this. Rear toe Alignment is set for more stability and if you running full recommended pressure it will wear inner side, if load is not matched to the tire pressure. I do have experienced many owners car's i have worked on running too much pressure to improve efficiency but it will cost you more overtime if tire pressure is not matched to the load you usually drive the vehicle.

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Alignment should be one thing to inspect.
Another thing to consider if you driving ID4 at full tire pressure and not having 4 passengers or heavy cargo in the back it will result in wears like this. Rear toe Alignment is set for more stability and if you running full recommended pressure it will wear inner side, if load is not matched to the tire pressure. I do have experienced many owners car's i have worked on running too much pressure to improve efficiency but it will cost you more overtime if tire pressure is not matched to the load you usually drive the vehicle.
Interesting, thanks for that. Indeed there's hardly ever anyone in back and usually no cargo. So what tire pressure should be used in my situation?

·
2,152 Posts
Interesting, thanks for that. Indeed there's hardly ever anyone in back and usually no cargo. So what tire pressure should be used in my situation?
There is some posts from EU owners that have posted various tire pressures. Easiest way is to lift up one tire and spray with light oil where it will touch smooth hard surface when dropped back down. Then lift if again and repeat changing pressure until you get full width of the tire touching the surface. Some differences have to be taken in the final tire pressure ....depending on the temperature that vehicle is mostly driven. If you want to really take engineering ways you should have thermal imaging camera to find exactly sweet spot for tire compound , surface, temperature and speed traveled. Most of the EV manufacturers are pushing envelope on tire pressure towards better efficiency but not so much on the tire life. And US DOT doesn't require on the manufacturers label various tire pressures. For US market on the label it is max pressure for max occupants and cargo load .

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,879 Posts
38 psi for 2 people and luggage. Mine started with far too high pressure at 47, for much more see:

·
ID.4 FE Glacier White
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
38 psi for 2 people and luggage. Mine started with far too high pressure at 47, for much more see:
Thanks so much, I'll read through that. Hopefully this will help extend the life of a new set of tires

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,879 Posts
Thanks so much, I'll read through that. Hopefully this will help extend the life of a new set of tires
What pressure have you been running during this time you got the bad inside wear? And how often did you check them? I expected that running the fully loaded 44 psi printed on the door jamb might cause wear issues, but not at 17k miles like you got.

·
13 Posts
Hey all, after reading the "Tires!" thread, I was unsure what the verdict was on Bridgestone's warranty coverage for OEM tires. Do they do pro-rated coverage? My dealer says no but I'd like to hear what other experienced

My issue: ID.4 1st Ed was not holding air on rear passenger tire. Dealer found a nail in it and patched it. But they also said that all four tires were showing unusual wear, particularly in the inner sidewall (pictured). The dealer passed the car for the state inspection but is recommend new tires nonetheless, and quoted me about $1200 for Bridgestone or $1400 for Hankook. I understand from reading this forum that EV tires wear faster, but it just seems very early for new tires as the vehicle only has 17600 miles! I leased the vehicle at 15K/3yrs and was hoping to only need to replace the tires once during the term, but it may end up being a yearly thing... which would really sting. Anyone else experiencing this? What did/would you do? Any thoughts appreciated.
View attachment 12606
View attachment 12605
If it's doing this on both rear tires, that suggests to me that the rear is out of alignment. Same if it's only 1 tire. Either way being out of alignment is the most probable cause if's it is only on one side of the tire. If the car is New then YES it's a manufacturer's fault and should be covered under warranty. You might have to follow the "implied warranty of merchantability" to get that covered. This usually results in having to called Corporate HQ to talk to the President of VW. (that is who you would ask for, but you'll get a service write)

What is your tire pressure?

·
2,152 Posts
It is gray area....usually in first 40 days alignment should be reported. Past this point is hard to pinpoint who is responsible.....
Owners that have good relationships with Dealership managers will find a way to inspect it for free. Most of the vehicle's i have checked for excessive tires wear like one posted, where caused with pressure setting over 40 PSI. There is many scenarios how tires can get irregular wear.

·
425 Posts
Step 1 is probably to buy a new tire gauge. They get inaccurate after a while, and are cheap compared to tires.

When you get an alignment, they should give you a computer printout showing the before, after, and specified measurements.

Tires wear a lot faster in the summer when it’s hot and dry compared to winter when it’s cool and wet. Ideally, new tires should be put on in the autumn so you have new tread for winter. That used to be standard practice in the old days when tires only lasted 10,000 miles—about a year.

·
21 Posts
Yes I am having the same problem with rear tires:( the thread are showing through on the insides of both I have 24k on them dealer said not covered under warranty and Vw confirmed that I feel the uneven wear should have been caught by dealer on prior inspection so make sure they check your tires well on 10k inspection now dealer want to sell me an alignment but to little to late Im out for new tires can anybody recommend something besides Bridgestone .
Did you purchase the extra wheel warranty option when you bought the ID4?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
267 Posts
Did you purchase the extra wheel warranty option when you bought the ID4?
No. I never do. Only one time I've had to replace an entire tire on a car due to hitting a pallet laying on the road at night. Other than that, just a nail here and there but I always do a self repair. I'm just highly allergic to extended warranties because I don't like to spend money on what ifs you unless is government mandated like auto insurance.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts