Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla (no surprise) just updated the Model S. To me the Model S is why I got really interested in BEVSs and Tesla. I personally like many of the updates but that steering wheel is ugly.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?

Honestly I want a Tesla but I refuse to have a car with frameless windows. Went through one winter with a car with them and said never again. And it seems many people who live up north with Teslas complain about the frameless windows too, so nothing has changed. Frameless windows are meant for southern California weather only.

2021 First Edition
Smaller screen, lack of physical controls, half a steering wheel.

Nope. Not for me.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
I like how they changed the screen to horizontal while still keeping the screen behind the steering wheel but WTF with that wheel. How do you hold the steering wheel at 10 & 2?

Curious if they will have the same UI as the 3/Y - if so, they will be wasting a ton of screen space showing the lanes. I am not a fan of the new UI on the 3 - they expanded the "car status" portion (on the left side) so basically the navigation is now smaller than many new cars. The 15" center screen they like to boast is really now just a 9陆" screen when you eliminate the info that should be behind the steering wheel.

Proud FE owner
Honestly I want a Tesla but I refuse to have a car with frameless windows. Went through one winter with a car with them and said never again. And it seems many people who live up north with Teslas complain about the frameless windows too, so nothing has changed. Frameless windows are meant for southern California weather only.
I have frameless on my VW CC. No problem in Seattle.

Hard pass on a Tesla though.

It looks like that design did go into production, the refreshed S are for sale on the Tesla website now. I might try one if I could afford $80,000 or $120,000 for a car. I guess by those prices, there are some other serious choices too.

Compared to the ID.4 FE $44,000 - $9,500 fed and state incentives ... for an ID.4 FE purchase price of about $34,500, ID.4 still looks more attractive to me :) ($34,500 does not include state tax and fees; the tax is calculated here after any trade in credit)

On the yoke, Tesla's New Model S/X Steering Yoke Must Be A Joke

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
To me the Model S is why I got really interested in BEVSs and Tesla. I personally like many of the updates but that steering wheel is ugly.
I'm in the same boat. Model S made electric cars cool and truly desirable. I have followed the scene since then.
And for the record, I sorta like the yoke.

My friend has the new Vette, the steering wheel is flat on top and bottom. He thought it looked cool. Now that he has put some miles on the car, he hates it. As he turns the wheel and reaches for the wheel as he is turning it, he suddenly finds there is nothing there to grab as he has hit 'a flat spot'. I would think the yoke would be worse.

My friend has the new Vette, the steering wheel is flat on top and bottom. He thought it looked cool. Now that he has put some miles on the car, he hates it. As he turns the wheel and reaches for the wheel as he is turning it, he suddenly finds there is nothing there to grab as he has hit 'a flat spot'. I would think the yoke would be worse.
I think that is most significant problem, 90 degree turns of the car (not the wheel), especially in local driving, or any other maneuver (maybe some parking) that causes more than a 90 degree turn of the wheel. I think it would be fine otherwise (and fun) for things like highway driving, or entering or exiting the highway with less than 90 degree steering wheel motion.

In aircraft, the yoke is turned in either rotational direction to enter the desired angle of bank, but then mostly returned to the level position once in the bank. There are exceptions. Most people have probably seen pilots wrestling a yoke in severe crosswind or gust conditions. In some jets, instead of crabbing (angling away from the center line of the runway), it is okay to slip to maintain runway centerline, letting the slip out on touchdown, and there too the yoke might be at some angle for a while, but never near 90 degrees. So in aircraft, where the yoke is at home, there is no use at 90 degrees or beyond.

It is the more than 90 degree motion of the steering wheel, and even more than one turn in many cases, that makes a yoke mostly unsuitable for regular driving, especially driving local roads and parking.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
While I loved Knight Rider, that steering wheel just doesn鈥檛 work for me. Because turns happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts