Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Hi everyone,

Since I got my ID.4 I really find the VW put a subpar sound system in it, so I changed mine to for higher grad speakers.

Please find the tutorial to do that by yourself at Upgrade the VW ID.4 audio system – Allmost Useless Tips

Hope it will provide you with plenty of great sound for your drives.
This is so awesome - thank you!
I can't stand the stock audio, and I'm going to send your page to a local audio installer for a quote.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is so awesome - thank you!
I can't stand the stock audio, and I'm going to send your page to a local audio installer for a quote.
Well I'm not a pro but I summarized all different question I have had during my install.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
I looked at your info a little more and have a question:

Doesn't the ID.4 have a center speaker in the middle of the dash just forward of the main screen? What did you do with this - disconnect it or leave it as-is or something else?

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Leave it and it is, as powered by a 5th channel on the stock amplifier, it must stay connected because most of the gps indications to it. The new speakers will almost cover this speaker in music usage, they are louder.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Leave it and it is, as powered by a 5th channel on the stock amplifier, it must stay connected because most of the gps indications to it. The new speakers will almost cover this speaker in music usage, they are louder.
Thank you; that is really helpful.
Will the new speakers still be louder than the center channel if I only install the Focal IS VW 165 and Focal IC VW 165 without the Focal amp?

·
267 Posts
Wow that is very fast development time for a plug and play system considering cars didn't show up until early March! Perhaps they got their hands on a demo unit early to dissect.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Wow that is very fast development time for a plug and play system considering cars didn't show up until early March! Perhaps they got their hands on a demo unit early to dissect.
ID.4s have been in Europe longer than the US and the OP is French. He alsod use Focal speakers and electronics, a French company. I also suspect that these components will work in other VWs besides the ID.4.

·
267 Posts
ID.4s have been in Europe longer than the US and the OP is French. He also use Focal speakers and electronics, a French company. I also suspect that these components will work in other VWs besides the ID.4.
I don't pay attention to the user's location.

·
ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
Hi everyone,

Since I got my ID.4 I really find the VW put a subpar sound system in it, so I changed mine to for higher grad speakers.

Please find the tutorial to do that by yourself at Upgrade the VW ID.4 audio system – Allmost Useless Tips

Hope it will provide you with plenty of great sound for your drives.
Hi Pro, thanks for the great information. I love your choice of audio kit - superb! I have a question on power consumption and load on the battery with the additional power Amp. Do you notice additional battery drainage? The reason I ask is that I have a similar Focal speaker setup in my ICE Subaru and it pulls a lot of load from my battery. I have identical front and rear Focal's PS 165's power by a JL Audio Amp using twin DSP's and TwK-88's for tuning the head unit. The sound is fantastic, but it does place a noticeable load on my ICE battery.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you; that is really helpful.
Will the new speakers still be louder than the center channel if I only install the Focal IS VW 165 and Focal IC VW 165 without the Focal amp?
I can answer because I didn't tried that at all, but it is rarely a good idea to not add the amplifier with high grade speakers, they will not provide you with all the quality they can give..

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In fact the ID.4 connectors are VW standard, so the cable is not specific to the ID.4 but it is commun for all recent VW lineup

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ID.4s have been in Europe longer than the US and the OP is French. He alsod use Focal speakers and electronics, a French company. I also suspect that these components will work in other VWs besides the ID.4.
Humm, I received my car 2 weeks ago

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Pro, thanks for the great information. I love your choice of audio kit - superb! I have a question on power consumption and load on the battery with the additional power Amp. Do you notice additional battery drainage? The reason I ask is that I have a similar Focal speaker setup in my ICE Subaru and it pulls a lot of load from my battery. I have identical front and rear Focal's PS 165's power by a JL Audio Amp using twin DSP's and TwK-88's for tuning the head unit. The sound is fantastic, but it does place a noticeable load on my ICE battery.
I don't think I will see a lot of changes in consumption the amp is a very small class D, it share the same power fuse as the stock Infotainment. But I'm able unable to test it for now due to lockdown, I'm only allowed to drive within 20km of my house...

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
I’ve used Focal speakers in the past in some cars and been really happy with them. Turns out, they have several kits for the ID.3/ID.4!

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve used Focal speakers in the past in some cars and been really happy with them. Turns out, they have several kits for the ID.3/ID.4!

Yes, the kit you listed are at the end of my tutorial, but I really like the Flax product line.. Most of the tutorial apply to this "Inside" Kit too.

·
ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
I don't think I will see a lot of changes in consumption the amp is a very small class D, it share the same power fuse as the stock Infotainment. But I'm able unable to test it for now due to lockdown, I'm only allowed to drive within 20km of my house...
Thanks, that's good feedback. I am thinking of a similar setup for the ID4 but want to see how the performance goes first. My Subie system runs 600w and pulls a surprising amount of amperage with the DSP's and tuners. It's a bummer you can't get out past 20kms in your new ride!

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks, that's good feedback. I am thinking of a similar setup for the ID4 but want to see how the performance goes first. My Subie system runs 600w and pulls a surprising amount of amperage with the DSP's and tuners. It's a bummer you can't get out past 20kms in your new ride!
The small amp from Focal is a 55wx4 at 4ohms, it is connected on the stock entertainment fuse ( 20A ) so it can physically consume 240w, after that the fuse will blow and I tried it as loud as I could stay in the car :eek:, louder than that would be insane and the fuse did not blow..

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Is your Subaru amp Class A, AB, D, or something else? I could see that Class A (and maybe AB) could draw significant power when idle.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts