Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
176 Posts
Nice! Thanks!

aarg! Another $325 for HomeLink and a compass in the mirror - Rearview Mirror w/ HomeLink® Frameless, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Electronic Compass & HomeLink® Garage Door Opener $325 (Erick posted same as I was editing, totally agree, this seems like it should at least be a 1st thing, if not all Pro too.)

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
229 Posts
Looks like we have to swap the mirror to get HomeLink garage door opener. That's kinda silly.

·
80 Posts
Does this mean no real option only accessories?

I really like the blue and seat options on the Pro S just not sure if it is worth $4500.

Still interested to see what the base Audi Q4 is going to be like.

·
20 Posts
So my EV newbie is going to show through here.... I noticed on the spec sheet there is an 11kW onboard charger. My confusion is why would I need a wall mount charger in my garage if there is already one in the vehicle? Shouldn't I be able to plug it in directly to the 50 amp welder circuit in my garage? The L1 charging cable won't be hefty enough. The receptacle is a NEMA 6-50R so if the cable doesn't match it would need to be swapped out.

·
30 Posts
Thanks for posting this -- lots of good info. I wonder if they list the trailer hitch on two different lines because of the difference in tow rating, or if it's actually different. Seems unlikely that the hitch itself would be different, but I guess we'll find out. And that is one very pricey cargo net...

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
Looks like we have to swap the mirror to get HomeLink garage door opener. That's kinda silly.
Unless you use Apple CarPlay to open your garage door. It’s one of the best features of CarPlay! It pops up a button on your CarPlay home screen when very close to home. It works by linking your HomeKit to the Garage door opener and has a 300 yard geofence. I presently use it on the e-Golf and it is bloody marvellous! It pops on the screen when I’m 300 yards from home and prompts you to click to confirm the door opening. I have not tested this on Android, but sure Google would have similar Android functionitly.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
229 Posts
Unless you use Apple CarPlay to open your garage door. It’s one of the best features of CarPlay! It pops up a button on your CarPlay home screen when very close to home. It works by linking your HomeKit to the Garage door opener and has a 300 yard geofence. I presently use it on the e-Golf and it is bloody marvellous! It pops on the screen when I’m 300 yards from home and prompts you to click to confirm the door opening. I have not tested this on Android, but sure Google would have similar Android functionitly.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about this. We are a house divided Android/Apple - will have to see how I can enable both.

·
30 Posts
So my EV newbie is going to show through here.... I noticed on the spec sheet there is an 11kW onboard charger. My confusion is why would I need a wall mount charger in my garage if there is already one in the vehicle? Shouldn't I be able to plug it in directly to the 50 amp welder circuit in my garage? The L1 charging cable won't be hefty enough. The receptacle is a NEMA 6-50R so if the cable doesn't match it would need to be swapped out.
You've basically got it right. The "charger" in your garage, also known as an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment), is really just a fancy cable that delivers power to the car and communicates with the onboard charger in a basic way. The onboard charger does the actual charging, and 11kW is good by today's standards. If you already have a dedicated 50-amp circuit in your garage with a NEMA 6-50 outlet, that's great. An 11kw onboard charger will be able to use that level of power. But you'll still need a good EVSE with a beefy cable to safely deliver that power to the car. Some portable charging cables that come with EVs can be plugged into 240V power (e.g. Tesla and the Leaf+), but others cannot. The portable charging cable that will come with the ID.4 is L1 (120V only), so no-go for plugging into the NEMA 6-50. There are many aftermarket EVSEs available with a 6-50 plug already installed, so if you've got the outlet already you're one purchase away from L2 (Level 2 -- 240V) home charging. You can just get one with the right plug and plug it in. Unfortunately, the one that comes with the car isn't up to the task and you'll have to buy one if you want to charge faster at home. And there are so many to choose from it can be hard to choose one. VW will probably have a recommended one and may sell you one, but you could get whichever one you like best.

·
15 Posts
I can’t believe the VW is trying to gouge customers on a garage door opener is this technology era. I haven’t used CarPlay, other than rentals. I’m looking forward to it.

·
20 Posts
You've basically got it right. The "charger" in your garage, also known as an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment), is really just a fancy cable that delivers power to the car and communicates with the onboard charger in a basic way. The onboard charger does the actual charging, and 11kW is good by today's standards. If you already have a dedicated 50-amp circuit in your garage with a NEMA 6-50 outlet, that's great. An 11kw onboard charger will be able to use that level of power. But you'll still need a good EVSE with a beefy cable to safely deliver that power to the car. Some portable charging cables that come with EVs can be plugged into 240V power (e.g. Tesla and the Leaf+), but others cannot. The portable charging cable that will come with the ID.4 is L1 (120V only), so no-go for plugging into the NEMA 6-50. There are many aftermarket EVSEs available with a 6-50 plug already installed, so if you've got the outlet already you're one purchase away from L2 (Level 2 -- 240V) home charging. You can just get one with the right plug and plug it in. Unfortunately, the one that comes with the car isn't up to the task and you'll have to buy one if you want to charge faster at home. And there are so many to choose from it can be hard to choose one. VW will probably have a recommended one and may sell you one, but you could get whichever one you like best.
Thanks so much for the information!

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
Thanks. I hadn't thought about this. We are a house divided Android/Apple - will have to see how I can enable both.
You should be able to enable both Apple & Android, although you may need a “Bridge” by your garage door opener manufacturer. A bridge is also a whole lot cheaper (approx $80) than $325 for homelink and works automatically.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My confusion is why would I need a wall mount charger in my garage if there is already one in the vehicle?
I think the answer from @nj_8035 covered everything you need to know, but you might find the Technology Connections video about "chargers" helpful, as well:

·
30 Posts
Thanks so much for the information!
NEMA 6-50 is a little less common than NEMA 14-50 for EV charging, but would work just as well. You will have fewer choices for an EVSE with a NEMA 6-50 plug installed, but there are still good ones out there. Clipper Creek makes several, like the HCS-40P. The only downside is that they are quite expensive for what they are. You can find much less expensive ones on Amazon, but most of those aren't UL-listed and my personal risk tolerance has kept me away from those.

·
20 Posts
NEMA 6-50 is a little less common than NEMA 14-50 for EV charging, but would work just as well. You will have fewer choices for an EVSE with a NEMA 6-50 plug installed, but there are still good ones out there. Clipper Creek makes several, like the HCS-40P. The only downside is that they are quite expensive for what they are. You can find much less expensive ones on Amazon, but most of those aren't UL-listed and my personal risk tolerance has kept me away from those.
I'm totally with you on the UL listing.

·
1 Posts
Thanks to Sprylo for posting! Looking at this doesn't seem like there is going to be any way to avoid the white steering wheel on the 1st edition, was really hoping to see it as optional. So for those of you who have always clean hands and wanted a Blue 1st, I'll be freeing one up :(! Oh well I can hold out another few months.

·
202 Posts
Lots of good specifics in here about the US-spec ID.4. I noticed, for example, that the trailer hitch for the 1st Edition is different than the one on the Pro. Maybe the 1st Edition has the euro-style drop-down hitch? Curious.
Thanks! I can’t recall, but does anyone know the glass roof color if you don’t get radiant package?

·
7 Posts
So the gray interior will not be available in a blue 1st edition despite being pictured in that configuration in this PDF? Bizzare

1 - 20 of 63 Posts