Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
108 Posts
Yep, that's how VAG, and most others, package them as an option. I've never had much use for Homelink but really like a compass on a frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror, so ...

btw: I particularly like this option. It's very telling as to how little maintenance is required. :)
Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.27.14 AM.png
Nice! Thanks!

aarg! Another $325 for HomeLink and a compass in the mirror - Rearview Mirror w/ HomeLink® Frameless, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Electronic Compass & HomeLink® Garage Door Opener $325 (Erick posted same as I was editing, totally agree, this seems like it should at least be a 1st thing, if not all Pro too.)

·
40 Posts
You've basically got it right. The "charger" in your garage, also known as an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment), is really just a fancy cable that delivers power to the car and communicates with the onboard charger in a basic way. The onboard charger does the actual charging, and 11kW is good by today's standards. If you already have a dedicated 50-amp circuit in your garage with a NEMA 6-50 outlet, that's great. An 11kw onboard charger will be able to use that level of power. But you'll still need a good EVSE with a beefy cable to safely deliver that power to the car. Some portable charging cables that come with EVs can be plugged into 240V power (e.g. Tesla and the Leaf+), but others cannot. The portable charging cable that will come with the ID.4 is L1 (120V only), so no-go for plugging into the NEMA 6-50. There are many aftermarket EVSEs available with a 6-50 plug already installed, so if you've got the outlet already you're one purchase away from L2 (Level 2 -- 240V) home charging. You can just get one with the right plug and plug it in. Unfortunately, the one that comes with the car isn't up to the task and you'll have to buy one if you want to charge faster at home. And there are so many to choose from it can be hard to choose one. VW will probably have a recommended one and may sell you one, but you could get whichever one you like best.
One important clarification is that a 50-amp circuit will not be able to support the ID.4’s full 11kW onboard charger. On a 50-amp circuit (using a 40-amp EVSE), you’re limited to I think 9.5kW. This will obviously charge the ID.4, but it won’t charge it at full speed. If you want to take advantage of the full 11kW onboard charger, you need a 60-amp circuit with a 48-amp EVSE. Those are not quite as common as the 40-amp EVSE’s, but there are still a number of choices. When I had my JBP40 installed I did so on a 60-amp circuit specifically to “future proof” it a bit in the event that I got a Tesla or something that could handle much higher L2 charging amperage. Seems that may work out in my favor for the ID.4 ☺

·
4 Posts
Sprylo are there more pages to the Retail Guide concerning the id.4 you posted? If so could you please post. Interested to see any pics of the "Galaxy Black interior with dash and door inseerts in brown leatherette w/ contrast stitching"

·
204 Posts
Lots of good specifics in here about the US-spec ID.4. I noticed, for example, that the trailer hitch for the 1st Edition is different than the one on the Pro. Maybe the 1st Edition has the euro-style drop-down hitch? Curious.
Where did you find this?

·
38 Posts
Lots of good specifics in here about the US-spec ID.4. I noticed, for example, that the trailer hitch for the 1st Edition is different than the one on the Pro. Maybe the 1st Edition has the euro-style drop-down hitch? Curious.
Well, I think that answers every question I have and also details the options I am specifically interested in. Some of those markups are such crap, I wonder if they include the labor ...

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sprylo are there more pages to the Retail Guide concerning the id.4 you posted? If so could you please post. Interested to see any pics of the "Galaxy Black interior with dash and door inseerts in brown leatherette w/ contrast stitching"
Nope. That's the whole thing. I haven't seen pictures of that combination, either. The closest I've seen are some pictures on the VW AG media site (volkswagen-newsroom.com) of seats in black (actually dark gray) with brown accents, but they're the European ones with with Alcantara, rather than all-leatherette like we're getting in the U.S.:

Where did you find this?
Emich Volkswagen in Denver has a web page with all the VW Order Guides dating back to 2007: Free Volkswagen Order Guides Download for VW Car and SUV Models

·
30 Posts
Wow -- the brown interior accents against the yellow car is pretty jarring. I like both colors, but maybe not together. I say that as the current driver of a yellow VW. I'd like to see some more unusual colors for the US market, but I understand they're a tough sell for dealers.

·
38 Posts
Unless you use Apple CarPlay to open your garage door. It’s one of the best features of CarPlay! It pops up a button on your CarPlay home screen when very close to home. It works by linking your HomeKit to the Garage door opener and has a 300 yard geofence. I presently use it on the e-Golf and it is bloody marvellous! It pops on the screen when I’m 300 yards from home and prompts you to click to confirm the door opening. I have not tested this on Android, but sure Google would have similar Android functionitly.
How do you go about this wizardry? What device are you using with your garage door opener? The Chamberlain Myq stuff? I did a little googleFu and it looks like there are 2 parts to make that particular critter work, which has a bit of lameness associated with it. I am still interested. We also have a garage door opener at work that I would still need a clicker for , so the homelink mirror may still be a thing for me regardless. What about the homeland gps stuff in some teslas? Thats cool too

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
How do you go about this wizardry? What device are you using with your garage door opener? The Chamberlain Myq stuff? I did a little googleFu and it looks like there are 2 parts to make that particular critter work, which has a bit of lameness associated with it. I am still interested. We also have a garage door opener at work that I would still need a clicker for , so the homelink mirror may still be a thing for me regardless. What about the homeland gps stuff in some teslas? Thats cool too
Both Chamberlain and Liftmaster are the same company and have the same rebadged products. I have a Liftmaster and us the MyQ bridge. Below is the link to the bridge as well as a YouTube video explaining how to set it up. I hope this helps.

·
16 Posts
I recently had to get a new garage door opener. My new Chamberlain has MyQ wifi. After some troubleshooting, it is working fine. I can open the garage from the phone instead of needing a remote or using the car to do it. If I can get that to work with Car Play I am golden.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
I recently had to get a new garage door opener. My new Chamberlain has MyQ wifi. After some troubleshooting, it is working fine. I can open the garage from the phone instead of needing a remote or using the car to do it. If I can get that to work with Car Play I am golden.
To get it tow work with CarPlay you need to setup up setup Apple HomeKit in your home and add your MyQ as an accessory. You can then create an "automation" in HomeKit to open or close the door on approach or leaving. Youtube videos are a great source for how-to tips and guides

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
Much appreciated!
Once set up in HomeKit the door open and close button will show up on the CarPlay screen automatically when you are in a 300-yard radius or geofence from home. As you approach home, it will pop up on the CarPlay screen, your iPhone, and Apple Watch. For security, you still need to click confirm to open the garage door. It is a much better option than purchasing the $325 Homelink accessory.

·
105 Posts
To get it tow work with CarPlay you need to setup up setup Apple HomeKit in your home and add your MyQ as an accessory. You can then create an "automation" in HomeKit to open or close the door on approach or leaving. Youtube videos are a great source for how-to tips and guides
I have my chamberlain garage opener working with the myQ app in iOS but home kit doesn’t see it. It looks like may need to add this hub below for it work with home kit. My opener came with WiFi capability but it predates HomeKit and CarPlay and it doesn’t look like chamberlain is enabling these older models.

·
16 Posts
My opener is connected to WiFi too. MyQ does work with Google Assistant. Could that be an option? This should be easier.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
Getting HomeKit working can be tricky. The door openers and WiFi bridges need to have the "Works with HomeKit" logo clearly marked on the packaging. To set up in HomeKit requires scanning an Apple HomeKit image similar to a QR code and the Home app will step you through the process. I found YouTube and HomeKit forums as the best source for setup instructions as each home has a different setup.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
My opener is connected to WiFi too. MyQ does work with Google Assistant. Could that be an option? This should be easier.
Google Assistant doesn't work with Apple CarPlay although it may work with Android Auto as an alternative. I'm not an Android user so I can't help with that one. The best source I found to muddle my way through the config was YouTube and HomeKit forums.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
21 Posts
If worst comes to worst, I can just open the door with the MyQ app.
It is worth the hassle to get it working in CarPlay, especially when the "strife" thinks it is bloody brilliant and easy to use. Happy wife....happy life. I guess I won't see the ID.4 much once it arrives :(

·
105 Posts
From some research the above product doesn’t work either. however for hackers there’s a piece of software called home bridge that can be enabled on a raspberry pi or NAS that bridges home kit to connected products that aren’t HomeKit enabled. I have both a pi and a NAS so it’s something to experiment with in the future to get home kit working with chamberlain.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts