Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
6 Posts
I ordered the Glacier White AWD. Does anyone know what the "**Special Graytech lower exterior trim on 1st Edition vehicles in Glacier White" and the statement below the pic on page 2 "...featuring exclusive Graytech wheel arches & lower exterior trim" means? As I will not be getting a 1st edition I am wondering what that will mean to the exterior color scheme.

I am also concerned about the interior if you ordered Galaxy Black---"w/dash & door inserts in brown leatherette" meh. That might not look very good.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
243 Posts
I ordered the Glacier White AWD. Does anyone know what the "**Special Graytech lower exterior trim on 1st Edition vehicles in Glacier White" and the statement below the pic on page 2 "...featuring exclusive Graytech wheel arches & lower exterior trim" means? As I will not be getting a 1st edition I am wondering what that will mean to the exterior color scheme.
This is all of the plastic body cladding. The order guide does give the impression that this is a 1st Edition spec only. Each body color of the 1st Edition has only one interior color option. The Glacier White is the only one that has the Lunar Gray V-Tex leatherette (Black and Blue have black leatherette).

·
6 Posts
Thank you EricF for your response. I am not getting a First Edition so my question has to do with the later AWD in the Glacial White. Will there still be "plastic body cladding" and what color? Also my question also concerned the option of the Galaxy Black with the dash inserts in brown?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
243 Posts
Thank you EricF for your response. I am not getting a First Edition so my question has to do with the later AWD in the Glacial White. Will there still be "plastic body cladding" and what color? Also my question also concerned the option of the Galaxy Black with the dash inserts in brown?
I don't think we've seen it explicitly stated what the body cladding color schemes will be after the 1st, just that it was "special" for the 1st Edition. This could lead one to conclude that black would be standard across all body colors.

We haven't seen a mockup of the brown. It reads very different from the brown accents in the European models. It's hard to say if will have the stark contrast or will be something more subtle akin to what Mazda does.

·
38 Posts
So I spied a video on the twitters, I am attaching the YT link though. At about the :27 point you see what I believe is likely the "Galaxy Black w/ dash & door inserts in brown leatherette w/ contrast stitching." So there's that.

·
42 Posts
So I spied a video on the twitters, I am attaching the YT link though. At about the :27 point you see what I believe is likely the "Galaxy Black w/ dash & door inserts in brown leatherette w/ contrast stitching." So there's that.

Don't believe what you see in that video! That's the European model (yellow exterior color is not available in North America). VW has done a terrible job about clearly communicating the differences (and lots of feature omissions) in the North America model compared to the European one.

·
38 Posts
back on the topic of smarter garage door openers ... I found this critter or rather it found me as my searches were ongoing.

it seems to be all I want/need and provides a modicum of security as well. at sub $100 currently it seems like a great idea/option.

Thoughts?

·
243 Posts
back on the topic of smarter garage door openers ... I found this critter or rather it found me as my searches were ongoing.

it seems to be all I want/need and provides a modicum of security as well. at sub $100 currently it seems like a great idea/option.

Thoughts?
I like it. Certainly inexpensive to try it out. My daughter has older Honda Civic and parks outside - would be nice not to have to worry about leaving a remote in the car or have her walk to front door in darkness/weather). This would kill two birds for me. The only hitch is having to pay for the bluetooth vehicle sensor with an iPhone, but that's on Steve Jobs.

·
106 Posts

Thoughts?
Thanks hadn't heard of it.

Seems like a very good option, especially if you use android but having to add a sensor to the car for it to work in iOS makes it a bit of an issue for iPhone users.

This review indicates MyQ is better as long as you don't need alexa.

·
38 Posts
Thanks hadn't heard of it.

Seems like a very good option, especially if you use android but having to add a sensor to the car for it to work in iOS makes it a bit of an issue for iPhone users.

This review indicates MyQ is better as long as you don't need alexa.

I like the looks of the iq3, though. In order for the dang MyQ to work with CarPlay you have to buy the HomeKit bridge for an additional $70, so both systems put you in for ~$100. And the iq3 solution kinda gets rid of the HomeKit integration need altogether, so yes fewer smart home integrations, but for a solid reason. Certainly the MyQ is a potentially easier install, though, but aligning sensors isn't too bad of an experience, but I am a nerd.

·
106 Posts
I like the looks of the iq3, though. In order for the dang MyQ to work with CarPlay you have to buy the HomeKit bridge for an additional $70, so both systems put you in for ~$100. Certainly the MyQ is a potentially easier install, though, but aligning sensors isn't too bad of an experience, but I am a nerd.
And Chamberlain has a very confusing product line up experience and software methodology without focus on an upgrade path. I have a myq opener with wifi enabled and it works via the myQ app. All Chamberlain had to do was enable it for CarPlay and provide a device for homekit/alexa and would satisfy most existing users but they've come out with a confusing array of products that I'm still trying to comprehend and will cost me $$ to enable it for HomeKit. It looks like iq3 has a solid team behind it from a cursory look.

·
38 Posts
And Chamberlain has a very confusing product line up experience and software methodology without focus on an upgrade path. I have a myq opener with wifi enabled and it works via the myQ app. All Chamberlain had to do was enable it for CarPlay and provide a device for homekit/alexa and would satisfy most existing users but they've come out with a confusing array of products that I'm still trying to comprehend and will cost me $$ to enable it for HomeKit. It looks like iq3 has a solid team behind it from a cursory look.
Well, I took the plunge, I'll feed back to the group if they want to hear. It'll likely be a couple weeks.

·
38 Posts
ok, I have received and installed the tailwind IQ3. It was a pretty simple install and didn't require any huge expertise, which made me a little sad. There is a lot of great support video and forum stuff if you need it. The app setup was also fairly easy and the operation is as well. The inner workings of the app can be a little confusing, but again the forum and setup videos go far. The device works as advertised and well that is a good thing. I will have to see what and how my wife thinks of it, but I think it pretty much just works in the background. The only thing I worry ever so slightly about is they have had a few AWS outages, but they are working on a Local mode failover in their development. It doesn't affect performance of the opener as it worked previously, so that is adequate fallback for sure. I'll update later if things go awry, but for now, so far so good.

·
106 Posts
ok, I have received and installed the tailwind IQ3. It was a pretty simple install and didn't require any huge expertise, which made me a little sad. There is a lot of great support video and forum stuff if you need it. The app setup was also fairly easy and the operation is as well. The inner workings of the app can be a little confusing, but again the forum and setup videos go far. The device works as advertised and well that is a good thing. I will have to see what and how my wife thinks of it, but I think it pretty much just works in the background. The only thing I worry ever so slightly about is they have had a few AWS outages, but they are working on a Local mode failover in their development. It doesn't affect performance of the opener as it worked previously, so that is adequate fallback for sure. I'll update later if things go awry, but for now, so far so good.
And I forget are you using iOS or android?

·
38 Posts
Hi All. someone was asking about sound system somewhere. I was watching a YouTube video with teslaraj and it showed Harman Kardon speakers. So, there’s that.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro S
22 Posts
I specifically took a look at that at the Capital VW ID.4 event on Tuesday. I could not try out the head-unit but noticed they have premium Harmon Kardon speakers and tweeters in the front and rear doors. Bear in mind all Automakers flatten the audio sound systems to avoid any warranty claims. I've been wondering for some time what 12v battery performance and overall battery performance would be impacted by adding high-end speakers, DSP's and power amplifiers.

·
38 Posts
Hi All. someone was asking about sound system somewhere. I was watching a YouTube video with teslaraj and it showed Harman Kardan
I specifically took a look at that at the Capital VW ID.4 event on Tuesday. I could not try out the head-unit but noticed they have premium Harmon Kardon speakers and tweeters in the front and rear doors. Bear in mind all Automakers flatten the audio sound systems to avoid any warranty claims. I've been wondering for some time what 12v battery performance and overall battery performance would be impacted by adding high-end speakers, DSP's and power amplifiers.
”Flatten the Audio system”, I don’t even know what you mean by saying that?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts