Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
141 Posts
I found an ID.3 manual for the UK market. While not the same, it gave me an idea of what to expect.

·
20 Posts
We really need a VIN to continue our sleuthing. With a VIN, we could see if we can do any specific ship, rail, or truck tracking. Ford allows a lot of tracking with a VIN, including public access to some of their truck shipping. First guess is VW does not, but we can only know for sure with a VIN.

Also, odd, Ford lists all of their demos which are not for sale (so there are lot of sample VINs out there), but there are no ID.4 anywhere (not even one) at places like autotrader. Dealers (at least NE) also do not yet show a single ID.4 (apparently consistent with the speculated batch release plan).

I guess if someone goes to a demo somewhere, try to get a snap shot of the VIN. Maybe at least we can look at its manual online (or not, if demos don't work). Also, with key letter codes of an ID.4 VIN, we could search our My VW webpage data (although that is increasingly looking like an exercise in futility).
2021 Volkswagen U.S. VIN Breakdown

VIN decoding for FEs was reported to NHTSA in December.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
375 Posts
The VIN for the December sales demo vehicle in dealerships here didn't work, not that I really expected it to.
We really need a VIN to continue our sleuthing. ... I guess if someone goes to a demo somewhere, try to get a snap shot of the VIN. ...

·
ID.4 1st Blue
215 Posts
2021 Volkswagen U.S. VIN Breakdown

VIN decoding for FEs was reported to NHTSA in December.
So we are looking at WVGDMPE2[check digit]MPXXXXXX - where the last 5 Xs represent the sequential production number. The demo VIN we know had a K instead of the D in position 4 (preprod vs. FE), the rest was the same.
Does anyone have the capability to figure out the rest through trial and error in some tool?

·
362 Posts
So we are looking at WVGDMPE2[check digit]MPXXXXXX - where the last 5 Xs represent the sequential production number. The demo VIN we know had a K instead of the D in position 4 (preprod vs. FE), the rest was the same.
Does anyone have the capability to figure out the rest through trial and error in some tool?
Would it be WVG made in Europe or 1V2 made for US market? As position 11 defines where it was made.

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
130 Posts
Would it be WVG made in Europe or 1V2 made for US market? As position 11 defines where it was made.
Looking at sedans, it has WVW for German made cars and my North American Phaeton built in Dresden starts with WVW. I am betting that the location in position 11 is the specific plant, and the first 3 codes represent the country. I think Audi's are WAU, so I would bet that W is Germany and the other 2 are the manufacturer's code

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I'm not one that can would know how to script something, but I did find a site that will determine the check digit.

I tried a few low number sequential production numbers, calculated their check digit, and then plugged in the full VIN into VW's manual website. All tried VINs failed check at VW. It's possible I made an error or VW hasn't activated any VIN on that manual website yet. Hopefully other people try and have better results.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
215 Posts
I'm not one that can would know how to script something, but I did find a site that will determine the check digit.

I tried a few low number sequential production numbers, calculated their check digit, and then plugged in the full VIN into VW's manual website. All tried VINs failed check at VW. It's possible I made an error or VW hasn't activated any VIN on that manual website yet. Hopefully other people try and have better results.
Methinks we are close, and your second assumption is likely. Another tool is needed to verify a VIN.

Reactions: corfam

·
20 Posts
Despite the document I linked from VW to NHTSA the NHTSA wants a different identifier for the Zwickau plant. Here is a valid vin by all checkers I can find online, including the NHTSA -

WVGDMPE25MK000123

The check digit will change if you change the production number (last 6). To discover what it should be the NHTSA has a check digit validator here that will give you the correct value for the 9th digit.

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
520 Posts
I believe it should be WVW

Edit: nevermind...read it wrong.

·
13 Posts
That VIN worked for my insurance agent. I've got a real quote now at $50 higher per 6 months than my 2008 Honda Fit costs to insure.
Thanks @Wa.id.4!
Nice! I'm also coming from an '08 Honda Fit. Hopefully my quote comes out similar, although it feels like that's a bit too good to be true...

·
520 Posts
Despite the document I linked from VW to NHTSA the NHTSA wants a different identifier for the Zwickau plant. Here is a valid vin by all checkers I can find online, including the NHTSA -

WVGDMPE25MK000123

The check digit will change if you change the production number (last 6). To discover what it should be the NHTSA has a check digit validator here that will give you the correct value for the 9th digit.
I just got my VIN. Replace the MK with MP. My sequence# is in the 8000 range.

Reactions: TT97 and corfam

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
130 Posts
Did you get it from your dealer? the silence from mine is frustrating

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No luck from my side with accessing online manual after recreating a VIN using MK, 8000 range (or otherwise) and the check digit verified on the NHRSA website. I'll try again later when I have more time, but hopefully someone figures it out before then and posts it.

·
362 Posts
No luck from my side with accessing online manual after recreating a VIN using MK, 8000 range (or otherwise) and the check digit verified on the NHRSA website. I'll try again later when I have more time, but hopefully someone figures it out before then and posts it.
Try using MP in place of the MK.

·
20 Posts
2 says ago MP failed to pass NHTSA site checks. P was not a recognized valid value for that position. So there may be some fluidity to the truth right now.

·
520 Posts
Did you get it from your dealer? the silence from mine is frustrating
He had a printout with my order status. The manuals don't seem to be available yet.

Reactions: RocketVol
21 - 40 of 40 Posts