Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ID.4 FE
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting reply on reddit from someone that claims to work on VW headlight design (though unclear).
The thread was about the US-spec ID4 "Premium Headlights" possibly having actual "Matrix" internals, like Europe, just currently disabled.

I tried to follow-up with them to no avail.

With the "IQ Light" branding missing from the US-spec lights (and instead replaced with an amber side marker light) I had just assumed since they clearly built the lights differently for the US market they would have just left the Matrix bits out altogether. However, from the redditor's post history it looks like they may work at VW in Chattanooga. So there's your daily bit of hope with a few grains of salt.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
294 Posts
This coincides with what I have found:

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
So the hardware seems to be the same? Interesting. And VCDS doesn’t have the ability to make the changes needed to enable them, right, because that type of coding needs a connection to VW? What are the kinds of things, if any, you can change with the ID.4?

·
8 Posts
I wanna believe this, I really truly do. But... VW giving NAR owners a neutered top of the line light assembly for seemingly free (and not advertised)? The costing cutting we've seen from VW lately (less soft plastics, lessor quality carpets, etc...). I'm just skeptical they would "give" a premier front lighting.

I hope I'm wrong... Prove me wrong ;-)

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
I actually think this might be true. Driving at night I noticed that there was a notch missing from the beam that neatly matched the car I was following, which would reduce the glare for that driver. It wasn't adaptive or anything like that, but it clearly wasn't a standard headlight beam and it doesn't seem like a stretch that an adaptive system could be enabled.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
I took some (rather poor) pics of my FE high beams pointed at my garage door tonight; I know this one is very blurry and dim, but it is the best one to illustrate that it looks like our US headlights do indeed have a matrix/grid projection that just isn't getting utilized. In case you don't know, the gap across the middle is because of how LED headlights look on camera (you can see this effect in motion in many reviewer videos), and it is actually handy here because it shows the grid effect more pronounced. It looks like the whole grid is 3 rows tall, and maybe 12 columns across?

I know we can't really expect to be able to do software tweaks with VCDS and OBDEleven on this car like older VWs, but I reeeeally hope we someday can get the matrix headlights enabled if it truly is the same part, even if it were a paid OTA type of thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts