Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a an ID.4 on order, an AWD Pro model. There is a likelihood that I will be relocating to an EU country in a couple of years. The conventional wisdom is don't import your US spec vehicle to the EU, as the changes required and hassle involved make it not worth the effort. However, given the generous US tax incentives and differences in pricing, this US version of this vehicle costs roughly 40% less versus a similarly configures European version. I can avoid GST on a car I have used more than a year, making the cost of importing the vehicle quite reasonable.

Any thoughts on what it might take to convert the US model to EU specs? The most obvious differences are charger port and lamp differences, but those aren't the changes that concern me. I am more concerned with computer hardware and software differences between the US and European versions. Will the navigation system work? Will the cellular system work? Will I be able to get OTA software updates? Will I even be able to get a European dealer to even service this thing?

I suspect these are mostly unknowns, but perhaps someone has an idea of how significant the differences are between the two versions.

·
314 Posts
I currently have a an ID.4 on order, an AWD Pro model. There is a likelihood that I will be relocating to an EU country in a couple of years. The conventional wisdom is don't import your US spec vehicle to the EU, as the changes required and hassle involved make it not worth the effort. However, given the generous US tax incentives and differences in pricing, this US version of this vehicle costs roughly 40% less versus a similarly configures European version. I can avoid GST on a car I have used more than a year, making the cost of importing the vehicle quite reasonable.

Any thoughts on what it might take to convert the US model to EU specs? The most obvious differences are charger port and lamp differences, but those aren't the changes that concern me. I am more concerned with computer hardware and software differences between the US and European versions. Will the navigation system work? Will the cellular system work? Will I be able to get OTA software updates? Will I even be able to get a European dealer to even service this thing?

I suspect these are mostly unknowns, but perhaps someone has an idea of how significant the differences are between the two versions.
FWIW, I briefly looked into the reverse question, ordering a ID.4 1st Max through a broker for the U.S., and very quickly abandoned that idea. Beyond cost, the idea of so much disassembly and modification of a brand new car seems like a bad idea to me. Maybe if I were wealthy and really wanted a EU model, and could pay a specialty shop without concern for cost ...

Your flag says CA, do you have buying services like Carvana or Vroom there? If so, they seem to be eager to buy cars 1-3 years old, so if you must buy now, just sell it before you leave.

Just for some of the reasons you mentioned alone, I would wait and buy there (unless maybe your status might preclude you from using local incentives there?).

Probably a few people have more direct experience on the conversions you asked about.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
191 Posts
top of my head what i think wont work:

OTA = Different Sims.. different connections
Radio = SiriumXM vs DAB. EU doesnt have XM.
Infotainment = softwareversion + skins says its EU variant, so anything related to USA and EU will be different.
SOS = wont work is my guess = different eSim
Charging = should work, Type2 for AC and CCS for DC[fast] charging. thats alright.
Towing bar = Different plugs [EU/USA pin plugs].

USA 1st max isnt the same as EU 1st Max. EU has HUD AR, Front Matrix LED's, 21 inch Narvik Wheels and some little things more.
Also dont forget VAT is included in every EU-priced car [16-21 depending on country].

Too much headache if you ask me, you can better buy on the second hand market. They will be plenty by then you go to Europe. Maybe there will be some better ones ;)

·
314 Posts
agree with ID.Furkan. Minor points, there is no 1st Max U.S. (in Canada?), we only got the 1st (and only with the white wheel, white steering column, and white display boxes, no matter the other colors). I would definitely be interested in a 1st Max U.S. equivalent, although admittedly, we are getting very good value for the 1st price (e.g. travel assist, and other perks).

When I was looking at the reverse, EU ID.4 1st Max for U.S., the AC charging part of the charge plug is different, our J1772 does not include a 3 phase option, so different AC pins, different Type 2 (L2). Maybe the Canada charge plug is different, closer to the EU AC connector?

ah, I see the OP changed from Canada to U.S., possibly at the boarder, Buffalo, NY?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
701 Posts
Isn’t CCS different in Europe too? Version 1 vs. 2 connector per Wikipedia.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
191 Posts
yeah oke, chargingports are different too

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are folks selling a CCS-1 to CCS-2 adapter for around $1000.
The problem is that CCS-2 Supports three phase charging, which is the norm for public charge stations in Europe. The adapter cable won't change this. If you are limited to single phase, it would take an entire day to get a full charge.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After additional research, I've decided to cancel my ID.4 order. Not specific to the ID.4, the killer issues to reporting a US spec EV to Europe are:
  • Lack of dealer support. European dealers do not want to work on imported vehicles. In some cases, they don't have the required parts or software available. This is a bigger problem with EVs as independent repair shops have less ability to work on them.
  • Because of the difficulty of getting work done on them, insurers are reluctant to insure imported vehicles.
  • Being limited to a CCS type 1 port is a real problem, as even with an adapter, charging speeds will be much slower than on a Euro speced car with CCS type 2
  • Radio and navigation systems may be limited to US, though I could probably live with this if it were the only issue as I tend to use CarPlay.
So I'll probably end up just purchasing a Euro spec EV if and when I relocate. While the price difference is significant, one small consolation is the European medals do appear to be somewhat better equipped,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts