Volkswagen ID Forum banner

USA ID.4 tow hitch

66K views 174 replies 59 participants last post by  Sparkszenfahren 
#1 ·
USA iD4 tow hitch - It's a bolt on so if it's not in your package you can mount an after market. I bet underlying bumper is same for all models as a matter of production efficiency. (EURO peps does your hitch mount to bumper in same manner?)
Pic is from a FE on US demo drive tour
Gadget Automotive design Camera accessory Automotive exterior Cameras & optics

See less See more
#4 ·
Why do you need a 2" receiver? It would still be limited to 2,200/2,700 lbs for towing. You can get an adapter if you have a carrier that only fits 2" hitch.

Reactions: Huey52
#6 ·
ugh...just picked up my ID4 1st today and was bummed out to see its not a 2 inch receiver. All my add-ons are 2 inch including my balls/hook, cargo carrier, bike rack and e-bike tray...

I have used an adapter in the past and they are very unstable and shake around a lot. Also by extending things like the bike rack or cargo box further out it creates more downward pressure on the receiver.

Please, if anyone know of an aftermarket 2 inch hitch...please let me know :(

#10 ·
I am using a Thule Helium two-bike rack, an older version of this one: Thule Helium Pro 2 Bike Hitch Rack | REI Co-op

It seems to work well. One key think to look out for is that the ID.4 doesn't allow much distance between the locking pin hole and the end of the rack that slides into the receiver. The distance on my Thule rack is about 3 cm and has about 1 cm clearance from the car. Presumably the one from VW also fits.

#13 ·
There is a photo of the hitch receiver clearance issue in this thread:

Check out the photo posted by @sethpo. Looks like about 4 cm between the hitch receiver bolt hole and the fairing.

#18 ·
Like some others here I have a 2” hitch mounted bike rack, in fact the same as @sethpo , like @mgwashburn and @tommyb I prefer the idea of no adapter. Also, I am happier buying an aftermarket hitch as they typically cost less. I expect one will become available but noticed this:

Mounting pattern looks similar, anyone know if this will work? (Link is for a tiguan)

#24 ·
I plan to write Curt, and Drawtite for that matter, but figured I would check in with the hive mind first. My wife and I only very recently put a reservation in with VW, thought there might be some one here who already knew.

I like the idea about checking VW part numbers, I’ll look into that.

#25 ·
I plan to write Curt, and Drawtite for that matter, but figured I would check in with the hive mind first. My wife and I only very recently put a reservation in with VW, thought there might be some one here who already knew.

I like the idea about checking VW part numbers, I’ll look into that.
Another excellent tow hitch company is Torklift - they have the best shipping packages, by far. My brother drives for UPS and he has seen them all.

#28 ·
Slightly off-topic: I live in a city, and generally street/parallel park. One of these days, I suspect I'll come out to see a ding in the bumper.

So, I've been thinking about getting a Hitch Extender. Problem is most I've looked at are 2" mount. More importantly, they're ugly and ostentatious - sticking out too far. WeatherTech's bump step really is intended for a pickup, for example. I'm just looking for something to extend barely from the hitch and beyond the bumper.

Ideas for alternatives? Or should I just live with my inner ding.

#35 ·
@NeilBlanchard I forgot about them (torklift) even though that is what I have on my Mazda 3 hatchback. Doh!

Link below is for test fitment/possible free hitch if anyone lives near Kent, WA.

#36 ·
Does anyone who knows more about hitches than I do (which has got to be at least 95 percent of the readers on this forum) have any thoughts on whether Stealth Hitches are likely to make something for the ID.4? I see they have "hidden" hitches for the 2021 Tiguan and Golf that come with a 2" receiver standard; that'd be perfect for having the ability to use a four-bike platform rack on my Pro S eventually. Which, having used a two-bike non-platform rack on a DrawTite hitch we had installed on our Honda Fit, would probably be my preference down the line now that both of our kids are riding.

#37 ·
They will if they think there is a market for them and someone is willing to let them use their car as a test platform. I would be willing to leave mine with any aftermarket hitch company but I don't live near any. Most will give you a free hitch for doing it. Stealth is in Sugar Hills, GA, Curt MFG is in Edmonton, Torklift Central is in Kent, WA. I'm in Vegas so none are closer than 15 hours drive.

#39 ·
Hi, I really want to place my RWD order but I really want a cargo carrier. I don't need a 2000 lbs tow hitch, I just need a place for luggage that I know won't fit inside because we have two kids and a dog. I've seen cargo carriers that would be great and are 500 lbs or less. Can anyone help give me confidence that these will be coming to market in the next 6 months or so?

#40 ·
The existing hitch on the ID.4 has a weight and distance from the pin limits. If my foggy memory serves me, it is 250 lbs 7" back from the pin. It was posted here on the forum somewhere but I can't find it now. I believe it was copied from the manual, if that helps you find it. This may be a cargo carrier limiter. Best to check this before you commit to the car.

Reactions: theboomr
#42 ·
I actually reached out to torklift as I had one of those on my Mazda 3 hatch.
Their response:

“Thanks for reaching out and for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.
At this time, we do not have a 2" receiver for the ID 4 but this is something that I am sure we will have something for once it is available in our area. If you would like, I can put your information on our call-back list once we have a fitment for your vehicle. Let me know if you would like me to do so.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Torklift
800.246.8132”

#46 ·
I used to have a Chevy Bolt with a Torklift hitch on it, and now I'm really missing the ability to use my hitch bike rack on my ID.4 Pro S. Anyone know if there's anything we can do to get Torklift (or any other hitch company) to make a hitch sooner? Are there any volunteers near Kent, WA willing to let Torklift measure your ID? I called Torklift, Curt and Draw-Tite, and only Torklift and Curt made a note of my interest in buying a hitch. The guy I spoke to at Draw-Tite said he had no list or any other control over what hitches are developed.....

#47 ·
What I did was order the crossmember piece that goes underneath the bumper of the ID4 and then I had the VW Tiguan hitch which you can get from Curt, I had a bracket welded to fit the crossmember piece... works great and don't have to wait months for something to come out. You can ask VW about getting the crossmember piece. It cost me roughly $600 for the piece and then labor was like $250.... the welding job will cost as well but not as expensive.

#51 ·
For anyone looking for an aftermarket hitch option- Torklift is now gauging interest in an ID.4 hitch on the EcoHitch website (Torklift Central | EcoHitch - Rear Mounted Receiver Hitches - Trailer Hitches). You have to choose 2022 as the model year, then Volkswagen, then ID.4, and your hitch type and receiver size. Then it asks for your contact information. I'm interested in the "Hidden" type and 2" receiver.

If more people enter their info, maybe they'll make a hitch sooner rather than later 😀

#52 ·
For anyone looking for an aftermarket hitch option- Torklift is now gauging interest in an ID.4 hitch on the EcoHitch website (Torklift Central | EcoHitch - Rear Mounted Receiver Hitches - Trailer Hitches). You have to choose 2022 as the model year, then Volkswagen, then ID.4, and your hitch type and receiver size. Then it asks for your contact information. I'm interested in the "Hidden" type and 2" receiver.

If more people enter their info, maybe they'll make a hitch sooner rather than later 😀
Done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.