Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA iD4 tow hitch - It's a bolt on so if it's not in your package you can mount an after market. I bet underlying bumper is same for all models as a matter of production efficiency. (EURO peps does your hitch mount to bumper in same manner?)
Pic is from a FE on US demo drive tour
IMG_20210401_122936654~2.jpg

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
56 Posts
USA iD4 tow hitch - It's a bolt on so if it's not in your package you can mount an after market. I bet underlying bumper is same for all models as a matter of production efficiency. (EURO peps does your hitch mount to bumper in same manner?)
Pic is from a FE on US demo drive tour View attachment 2316
It looks like it should be possible to get a replacement 2” receiver without much trouble. I wonder how long until one is available.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
581 Posts
It looks like it should be possible to get a replacement 2” receiver without much trouble. I wonder how long until one is available.
Why do you need a 2" receiver? It would still be limited to 2,200/2,700 lbs for towing. You can get an adapter if you have a carrier that only fits 2" hitch.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
56 Posts
Why do you need a 2" receiver? It would still be limited to 2,200/2,700 lbs for towing. You can get an adapter if you have a carrier that only fits 2" hitch.
Thanks TT97, good points. Yes, the towing limit is such that a 2" receiver isn't necessary, and I know I can get an adapter. It just seems much cleaner and simpler to hook up a bike rack on the receiver without an adapter. Maybe after I try it I'll change my mind.

·
23 Posts
ugh...just picked up my ID4 1st today and was bummed out to see its not a 2 inch receiver. All my add-ons are 2 inch including my balls/hook, cargo carrier, bike rack and e-bike tray...

I have used an adapter in the past and they are very unstable and shake around a lot. Also by extending things like the bike rack or cargo box further out it creates more downward pressure on the receiver.

Please, if anyone know of an aftermarket 2 inch hitch...please let me know :(

·
2021 1st
448 Posts
ugh...just picked up my ID4 1st today and was bummed out to see its not a 2 inch receiver. All my add-ons are 2 inch including my balls/hook, cargo carrier, bike rack and e-bike tray...

I have used an adapter in the past and they are very unstable and shake around a lot. Also by extending things like the bike rack or cargo box further out it creates more downward pressure on the receiver.

Please, if anyone know of an aftermarket 2 inch hitch...please let me know :(
It shouldn't be difficult to unbolt it and take it to someone to fabricate a 2" with same dimensions, etc.

Has anyone opened the cap on the right side of that? It feels like there is a wiring harness behind it. I'm curious if a trailer adapter can be plugged into that.

·
274 Posts
Has anyone opened the cap on the right side of that? It feels like there is a wiring harness behind it. I'm curious if a trailer adapter can be plugged into that.
You might have missed this thread:

I had missed the thread myself for some reason when first posted, but found it last week when doing a search for something else. @Andy at Ross-Tech.com removed the cap and documented what's needed for the brake light connection. Others joined in. Good discussion and info.

·
31 Posts
I went on the VW accessories site and found the Thule® Apex XT 9025XT Hitch Mounted Bike Rack. It looks to be what VW says works for the ID.4. Anyone purchase this yet? I ask cause the VW discount is in play right now.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
I went on the VW accessories site and found the Thule® Apex XT 9025XT Hitch Mounted Bike Rack. It looks to be what VW says works for the ID.4. Anyone purchase this yet? I ask cause the VW discount is in play right now.
I am using a Thule Helium two-bike rack, an older version of this one: Thule Helium Pro 2 Bike Hitch Rack | REI Co-op

It seems to work well. One key think to look out for is that the ID.4 doesn't allow much distance between the locking pin hole and the end of the rack that slides into the receiver. The distance on my Thule rack is about 3 cm and has about 1 cm clearance from the car. Presumably the one from VW also fits.

·
31 Posts
I am using a Thule Helium two-bike rack, an older version of this one: Thule Helium Pro 2 Bike Hitch Rack | REI Co-op

It seems to work well. One key think to look out for is that the ID.4 doesn't allow much distance between the locking pin hole and the end of the rack that slides into the receiver. The distance on my Thule rack is about 3 cm and has about 1 cm clearance from the car. Presumably the one from VW also fits.
Thanks! The REI one looks to only handle 2 bikes. The one sold on VW's site looks (based on picture) holds 4 bikes. I'm going to call VW to confirm as the description of the bike rack doesn't make that clear.

·
2021 First Edition
154 Posts
I decided not to do a top-hanging bike rack. You really gotta strap those bikes down so they don't all bang together. Instead, I got a Kuat Transfer, which holds the wheels. Good reviews, not too expensive, and it supports the smaller hitch size.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
There is a photo of the hitch receiver clearance issue in this thread:

Check out the photo posted by @sethpo. Looks like about 4 cm between the hitch receiver bolt hole and the fairing.

·
31 Posts
There is a photo of the hitch receiver clearance issue in this thread:

Check out the photo posted by @sethpo. Looks like about 4 cm between the hitch receiver bolt hole and the fairing.
Thanks. I hadn't considered that the bikes would bang around. I checked out the link (many thanks). I'm getting indecisive now. Ugh.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Thanks. I hadn't considered that the bikes would bang around. I checked out the link (many thanks). I'm getting indecisive now. Ugh.
I haven't had problems with bikes banging around on my two-bike rack. You do need to use a nylon belt through the wheels and rack post to hold the bikes somewhat tightly against the rack.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
71 Posts
A 2" receiver is more stable for a carrier, because the square is 50% larger. All else being equal, a physically larger receiver works better.

But you're correct that the capacity is not affected. I got a Class II tow bar, but the 1 7/8" ball is Class I. If you need a 2" ball, then that is Class II.

·
71 Posts
It shouldn't be difficult to unbolt it and take it to someone to fabricate a 2" with same dimensions, etc.

Yes, I just installed a 7-pin socket in place of the blank plate that is next to the hitch. It is the exact same make and model that VW sells for $57. I got mine from etrailer for $12.04. I also got a 4-pin adapter, a tow bar & pin, and a ball, for a total of about $80 shipped.

7-pin socket: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK11893.html
4-pin adapter: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12716.html
Tow bar with 3 1/4" drop: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/C45017.html
1 7/8" ball: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball/Curt/C40001.html

The critical thing is to get a slightly longer than standard shear pin, because of the thick side plates on the VW hitch: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Pins-and-Clips/MaxxTow/MT56FR.html

I bought a pin that is 1/2" shorter, and I had to grind a bit off the inside of the J bend, so it would extend through the hitch far enough to be able to use the Clovis pin.

·
6 Posts
Like some others here I have a 2” hitch mounted bike rack, in fact the same as @sethpo , like @mgwashburn and @tommyb I prefer the idea of no adapter. Also, I am happier buying an aftermarket hitch as they typically cost less. I expect one will become available but noticed this:

Mounting pattern looks similar, anyone know if this will work? (Link is for a tiguan)

·
71 Posts
The base plate has a bend at the front edge, which is different, and the bolts look like a different spacing / pattern.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts