Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
7 Posts
Yeah, maybe just have to wait for a vehicle specific one from Curt/Drawtite/other.

Another question I have, does the ID. 4 Pro (not S/not AWD) have the cutout/access to the frame in the bumper?

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
To my knowledge VW has never done that but some bumpers have had the lines stamped on them so it was as simple as following them with a razor. If they don't have the stamping it'll still be as simple as a template, which would be provided by whatever aftermarket/dealer option becomes available.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts
Like some others here I have a 2” hitch mounted bike rack, in fact the same as @sethpo , like @mgwashburn and @tommyb I prefer the idea of no adapter. Also, I am happier buying an aftermarket hitch as they typically cost less. I expect one will become available but noticed this:

Mounting pattern looks similar, anyone know if this will work? (Link is for a tiguan)
You could compare the VW part number for the Tiguan hitch to the VW part number for the ID hitch. Likely they are different part numbers. You could also contact Curt about when they will have an ID hitch.

·
7 Posts
I plan to write Curt, and Drawtite for that matter, but figured I would check in with the hive mind first. My wife and I only very recently put a reservation in with VW, thought there might be some one here who already knew.

I like the idea about checking VW part numbers, I’ll look into that.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
71 Posts
I plan to write Curt, and Drawtite for that matter, but figured I would check in with the hive mind first. My wife and I only very recently put a reservation in with VW, thought there might be some one here who already knew.

Another excellent tow hitch company is Torklift - they have the best shipping packages, by far. My brother drives for UPS and he has seen them all.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts

here is a photo of the ID.4 US hitch, with part number:

·
44 Posts
ugh...just picked up my ID4 1st today and was bummed out to see its not a 2 inch receiver. All my add-ons are 2 inch including my balls/hook, cargo carrier, bike rack and e-bike tray...

I have used an adapter in the past and they are very unstable and shake around a lot. Also by extending things like the bike rack or cargo box further out it creates more downward pressure on the receiver.

Please, if anyone know of an aftermarket 2 inch hitch...please let me know :(
mgwashburn, I ordered a Pro model & want a hitch. I might be interested in buying the 1+1/4" hitch off you, to offset the cost one a fabricated 2" hitch (if you end up going that route).

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
72 Posts
Slightly off-topic: I live in a city, and generally street/parallel park. One of these days, I suspect I'll come out to see a ding in the bumper.

So, I've been thinking about getting a Hitch Extender. Problem is most I've looked at are 2" mount. More importantly, they're ugly and ostentatious - sticking out too far. WeatherTech's bump step really is intended for a pickup, for example. I'm just looking for something to extend barely from the hitch and beyond the bumper.

Ideas for alternatives? Or should I just live with my inner ding.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
57 Posts
Has anyone tried an adapter to allow the FE hitch to support a bike rack for a 2" receiver? I am hoping a 2" hitch will be available soon but am getting impatient and am tempted to look into an adapter against my better judgement.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
Has anyone tried an adapter to allow the FE hitch to support a bike rack for a 2" receiver? I am hoping a 2" hitch will be available soon but am getting impatient and am tempted to look into an adapter against my better judgement.
Yes, I bought this adapter. It's a few mm too long so it rubs against the plastic guard under the bumper and you have to push it in tight to put the pin in. It might leave a mark from rubbing so I'll grind a beveled edge some day but it works.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
57 Posts
Yes, I bought this adapter. It's a few mm too long so it rubs against the plastic guard under the bumper and you have to push it in tight to put the pin in. It might leave a mark from rubbing so I'll grind a beveled edge some day but it works.
Thanks @ExCivilian! I appreciate the report. Do you mount a bike rack on it, and if so, does it seem to move around a bit more than you'd like it to?

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
Thanks @ExCivilian! I appreciate the report. Do you mount a bike rack on it, and if so, does it seem to move around a bit more than you'd like it to?
No, I have a 4x8 utility trailer. I haven't noticed it moving around much but I assume it has more slop than without the adapter. Pulling on it by hand doesn't feel like a lot of play.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts