Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
231 Posts
I’ve actually considered the drive but could not justify the 16 hours each way. The free hitch is tempting though.

·
1 Posts
Like some others here I have a 2” hitch mounted bike rack, in fact the same as @sethpo , like @mgwashburn and @tommyb I prefer the idea of no adapter. Also, I am happier buying an aftermarket hitch as they typically cost less. I expect one will become available but noticed this:

Mounting pattern looks similar, anyone know if this will work? (Link is for a tiguan)
yes I tried the Tiguan 2” receiver. I had to drill two additional holes in the receiver to align with the cars. It fitted well after that. However with a slight angle lifting the far end of the luggage carrier up a lil bit.But it works well

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
91 Posts
It's not a 16 hour drive for me... well if you count 3 charge stops along the way maybe... but I would have stopped anyway. Would be a nice first road trip in the ID.4. I even have vacation scheduled next week.

·
Glacier White ID.4 1st Edition
13 Posts
yes I tried the Tiguan 2” receiver. I had to drill two additional holes in the receiver to align with the cars. It fitted well after that. However with a slight angle lifting the far end of the luggage carrier up a lil bit.But it works well
Can you post a photo?

·
ID. 4 Pro - Scale Silver
59 Posts
Looks nice, though it does mention possible trimming of bumper cover/fascia during reinstall:
”Trimming may be needed to reattach panel or fascia”

This would be a little disappointing given there is already an opening. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though as it would probably be in an unseen area of the car. Had to do similar on my Mazda 3 hatch and I could see that. Hoping to see an install vid or pics before I take the plunge.

·
231 Posts
Looks nice, though it does mention possible trimming of bumper cover/fascia during reinstall:
”Trimming may be needed to reattach panel or fascia”

This would be a little disappointing given there is already an opening. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though as it would probably be in an unseen area of the car. Had to do similar on my Mazda 3 hatch and I could see that. Hoping to see an install vid or pics before I take the plunge.
I’m guessing they are covering bases until they can get a product in for testing. They currently have the install rated as a 10/10 difficulty probably so they don’t under sell how hard it is before knowing for sure.

·
6 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
I don't know much about hitch but why this one is capped at 2000lbs when the included one in the AWD goes to 2700lbs. 2200lbs for the RWD version(not included in Canada). This one also looks more heavy duty.
The VW hitch replaces the impact bar, right? This one looks like it is installed in addition to the existing impact bar, which would explain the lower rating.

·
19 Posts

·
19 Posts
DrawTite has a hitch on the market now for the ID.4: 2021 Volkswagen ID 4 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Looks pretty good! Says it's shipping after Labor Day.
I just ordered it. Says delivery is expected September 10. I will be sure to update once I receive and install it.

I am really happy to see that it is 2", so I can use my existing bike rack. And the price is lightyears better than trying to add the OEM hitch.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
175 Posts
I just ordered it. Says delivery is expected September 10. I will be sure to update once I receive and install it.

I am really happy to see that it is 2", so I can use my existing bike rack. And the price is lightyears better than trying to add the OEM hitch.
I also ordered a hitch kit with similar delivery. I was very happy with eTrailer hitch on VW Jetta in past. Hope this goes on as "easy"

61 - 80 of 117 Posts