Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

I also ordered a hitch kit with similar delivery. I was very happy with eTrailer hitch on VW Jetta in past. Hope this goes on a "easy"
Yeah, I have ordered a hitch for my wife's car from them before too, and was impressed by the quality and design, especially at this price point. From the instructions for this one, the installation doesn't look too bad. I am sure there will be the usual annoyance at dealing with plastic fasteners for the various panels you have to remove, but my experience is that a little patience goes a long way when dealing with those 馃槄

ID. 4 Pro - Scale Silver
Can鈥檛 wait to see how this works for you two! I agree this price is totally acceptable/as expected.

Yeah, I have ordered a hitch for my wife's car from them before too, and was impressed by the quality and design, especially at this price point. From the instructions for this one, the installation doesn't look too bad. I am sure there will be the usual annoyance at dealing with plastic fasteners for the various panels you have to remove, but my experience is that a little patience goes a long way when dealing with those 馃槄
What is the fascia trim needed for? It looks like the hitch receiver is exposed below the fascia itself....

ID. 4 Pro - Scale Silver
I think it will be so the hitch can sneak out behind the bumper bar. I expect the factory opening for the Euro hitch/US bumper bar mounted hitch solutions don鈥檛 allow something to come down behind the bumper bar.

I think it will be so the hitch can sneak out behind the bumper bar. I expect the factory opening for the Euro hitch/US bumper bar mounted hitch solutions don鈥檛 allow something to come down behind the bumper bar.
Perhaps. But it looks to me like the cutout is much too high for where the receiver would be based on where the bumper is. Until better photos are available I'm reserving judgement. But based on these photos, it's pretty unsightly and not something I'm anxious to have done on my ID4...

What is the fascia trim needed for? It looks like the hitch receiver is exposed below the fascia itself....
The trim is to add one extra inch of clearance to the existing hole where the factory hitch comes through the facia.
But it looks to me like the cutout is much too high for where the receiver would be based on where the bumper is. Until better photos are available I'm reserving judgement. But based on these photos, it's pretty unsightly and not something I'm anxious to have done on my ID4...
I think you are looking at the pictures wrong. The rectangle you see on the back of the car in the pictures is not the cutout, you are actually seeing an existing hole where the license plate is normally mounted. The cutout for this hitch is on the under side of the facia, at the back of the existing hole for the factory hitch. The cutout won鈥檛 be visible from the rear of the car, and neither will the cross member for this hitch. The only thing you will see is the receiver itself, just like the factory hitch.

The hitch will sit below the bumper bar, not behind it. The receiver will come out the exact same hole the factory one does.

So how do you guys program the ECU, that it knows you have a towbar, and that it knows to disable to parking sensors, rear collision radar, etc and adjust the ABS and stability control systems when adding a trailer? Seems to me this is a hardware only solution that will still create lots of pain once you try to use it

ID. 4 Pro - Scale Silver
The hitch will sit below the bumper bar, not behind it. The receiver will come out the exact same hole the factory one does.
The actual receiver will yes, I understand that. I was referring only to the reason for the additional trim/cut needed to the fascia; where the hitch mount will exit/drop down behind the bumper bar, through the fascia to present the receiver where we all expect.

So how do you guys program the ECU, that it knows you have a towbar, and that it knows to disable to parking sensors, rear collision radar, etc and adjust the ABS and stability control systems when adding a trailer? Seems to me this is a hardware only solution that will still create lots of pain once you try to use it
I don鈥檛 ever plan to tow anything. Only carry bikes or use a cargo box. I too am curious about the parking sensors/emergency braking reactions. Maybe someone with a FE can chime in with their experience regarding their experience.

So how do you guys program the ECU, that it knows you have a towbar, and that it knows to disable to parking sensors, rear collision radar, etc and adjust the ABS and stability control systems when adding a trailer?
Im not towing, it鈥檚 just for a bike rack. And I鈥檒l just have to turn off any sensors that are impacted by the rack being back there, just like any other car you put a bike rack on. I鈥檓 pretty sure it will just be the parking sensors, but we鈥檒l see.

And just FYI, to my knowledge, no cars with this low of a tow rating make any changes to ABS or stability control for towing.

Pro S RWD
Im not towing, it鈥檚 just for a bike rack. And I鈥檒l just have to turn off any sensors that are impacted by the rack being back there, just like any other car you put a bike rack on. I鈥檓 pretty sure it will just be the parking sensors, but we鈥檒l see.

And just FYI, to my knowledge, no cars with this low of a tow rating make any changes to ABS or stability control for towing.
We used a trunk rack (and disliked it enough that we want to get the hitch installed), and the only thing you had to turn off when the bikes were mounted was the reverse parking sensor. The hitch will occupy more space lower than the trunk rack/the bikes on the trunk rack, true, but I doubt it'll require any other significant interventions.

First Edition, bike rack guy here. The tray type bike rack has been blocking the bumper sensors most of the summer. So far, for backing up, the only thing I do is put the car in reverse, tap the settings hamburger on the backup camera, and then tap the Mute icon to silence the complaining. At first, I wondered if there was some automatic braking action that might be triggered by confused reverse sensors. "So far, no...."

ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
I installed the eTrailer tow hitch receiver on my ID.4 Pro S. The installation took about 2 hours, as noted in the instructions. The instructions are accurate and easy to follow, just a few minor gaps. Overall, you just need to be patient. No lift required. The fit to the body was excellent. No gaps and holes aligned well.

I sent feedback to eTrailer that the hitch receiver protrudes 40mm (~1.5") past the bumper facia. This is not consistent with say the VW ID.4 FE, VW Tiguan OEM or aftermarket designs. I am waiting on their feedback.

For me this works for bike carrier and short distance haul of a boat (not using electrical harness, just standalone flasher). If they update the design, I would likely switch this out.

PS - Yes, the rear hatch still opens when you swing your foot under the bumper.

Hitch out of the box:

Mounted to the frame:

Final installation:

Pro S RWD
I installed the eTrailer tow hitch receiver on my ID.4 Pro S. The installation took about 2 hours, as noted in the instructions. The instructions are accurate and easy to follow, just a few minor gaps. Overall, you just need to be patient. No lift required. The fit to the body was excellent. No gaps and holes aligned well.

I sent feedback to eTrailer that the hitch receiver protrudes 40mm (~1.5") past the bumper facia. This is not consistent with say the VW ID.4 FE, VW Tiguan OEM or aftermarket designs. I am waiting on their feedback.

For me this works for bike carrier and short distance haul of a boat (not using electrical harness, just standalone flasher). If they update the design, I would likely switch this out.

Hitch out of the box:
View attachment 5284

Mounted to the frame:
View attachment 5285

Final installation:

View attachment 5288

View attachment 5289

View attachment 5290
Looks great -- I ordered the Draw-Tite one from eTrailer, too, but had a local hitch installer put it on, and it seems like it took them about 90 minutes, so you did impressive work. I don't mind the way it sticks out; the reason I wanted the hitch was because a bike pedal scraped a hole in the paint when we used a trunk-mounted rack on a recent trip, so a tiny bit more distance from the car to the bikes was OK by me. (It's at the body shop today getting that fixed.)

Hitch out of the box:
View attachment 5284

Mounted to the frame:
View attachment 5285

Final installation:

View attachment 5288

View attachment 5289

View attachment 5290

Maybe this sticks out because its 2 in. This one looks more robust to me, the way the original bolts looks weaker. I also thought you would have the same bar with the holes in it. Im not an engineer and I dont have the car yet.

ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
Looks great! This is the hitch that requires enlarging the facia cutout size, right? How did that go?
The cut out is hidden behind the hitch. 1" deep and 6" wide cutout. However, when reinstalling the facia I noted you really only need 3-4" width. No sensors close to cut out. I used a hacksaw blade and went slow and finished edges with light grade sandpaper.

Seems there was a lot of demand for the hitch. E-Trailer went from having stock to two weeks out and now saying November delivery just from 10 AM to 10 PM yesterday.

I bought eTrailer hitch as just installed it. Here are a couple assorted thoughts on the installation process:

(1) The install was easy enough. Removing a bumper cover is always a bit of a pain, but with some patience, it went pretty smoothly. The instructions said it would take about 90 minutes, and that is almost exactly what it took me.
(2) Step 1 of the instructions said that there was 2 screws that needed to be removed with a T10 torx bit, but the screws on my car were actually T15.
(3) I'm not sure that you actually need to do Step 2 at all (removal of screws inside the rear wheel wells). I definitely think that you could get away with not taking out the 2 upper screws. Maybe removing the lower screws allows the wheel well liner to move around a bit to help get the bumper cover off, but if I were going to do it all over again, I would probably just leave them all in place, and only remove them if it became necessary at some point.
(4) Step 4 says that you need to remove the taillight cover in order to get to a screw that needs to be removed. On my car, the screw was not covered by the taillight cover, so it was not necessary to remove that cover.

And here are some thoughts on the installed hitch:
(1) As Keowee points out above, the hitch sticks out from the bumper by about an inch. It would have been nice if it was flush, but that's not the end of the world. Other than that, I like how clean the install is.
(2) The hitch receiver is relatively short. I am using it to carry a hitch mounted bike rack, which has a piece that tightens inside of the receiver to keep the rack from rocking around. When I first installed the rack, I inserted it too far into the receiver, so the part that expands to tighten it into place actually came out the back side of the receiver so I wasn't able to get it to tighten. Once I realized what was happening, it was an easy fix (just don't insert it so far into the receiver).
(3) With the bike rack in the upright position, there is still enough room to open the rear hatch, which is really convenient.
(4) Having the bike rack on the back sets off all of the rear parking sensors, but doesn't seem to create any issues with the rear cross traffic alert or blind spot monitor. The rearview camera is partially blocked, but still useable.

2021 ID.4 RWD Pro S w/Gradient, 2022 Mini Cooper SE, former: 2015 Tesla Model S 70D, 2013 Volt
Have any of you added light wiring (4 pin) for use with the DrawTite hitch?

81 - 100 of 117 Posts