Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
90 Posts
When not in use, is there an accessory of "fake tail pipe" we can put there that outputs bubbles when stopped? LOL

·
108 Posts
First Edition, bike rack guy here. The tray type bike rack has been blocking the bumper sensors most of the summer. So far, for backing up, the only thing I do is put the car in reverse, tap the settings hamburger on the backup camera, and then tap the Mute icon to silence the complaining. At first, I wondered if there was some automatic braking action that might be triggered by confused reverse sensors. "So far, no...."
We've had the car slam on the brakes, quite violently, while reversing with the bikes loaded on a hanging-style rack (1st Edition, 1.25" receiver). Every time we back out of a parking space we have to shift to reverse, tap the hamburger, tap the settings gear, then turn off Maneuver braking. It resets when the car turns off, so we need to do this at the start of every drive. It's unpleasant so I haven't experimented, but it hasn't happened to us with an empty rack.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

(Yes, we got ICE'd in front of the ICE machine! Double parked with the grudging blessing of the front desk staff)

·
512 Posts
We've had the car slam on the brakes, quite violently, while reversing with the bikes loaded on a hanging-style rack (1st Edition, 1.25" receiver). Every time we back out of a parking space we have to shift to reverse, tap the hamburger, tap the settings gear, then turn off Maneuver braking. It resets when the car turns off, so we need to do this at the start of every drive. It's unpleasant so I haven't experimented, but it hasn't happened to us with an empty rack.

View attachment 5460

(Yes, we got ICE'd in front of the ICE machine! Double parked with the grudging blessing of the front desk staff)
My current car an e-Golf does the same thing we I have my bike rack on. It is a giant pain to deal with it when trying to DC Fast Charge. Honestly I have been putting my bike in the back of the car this year.

BTW what are the two bikes closest to the ID.4? I always like seeing different bikes.

Was that picture taken in Maine?

·
486 Posts
BTW what are the two bikes closest to the ID.4? I always like seeing different bikes.
Me, too. Looks like some seriously nice Brooks saddles and accoutrements and maybe some Heron Head badge classics from Raleigh. Probably a B-17 Special under that saddle cover. Classy hammered fenders. Love bar-end shifters. Very nice!

I kept saying, "So far..." when posting about backing up with my tray bike rack. I back very slowly and only have one bike. I'm always thinking that Snidely Whiplash is waiting for me to get overconfident.

·
2 Posts
Me, too. Looks like some seriously nice Brooks saddles and accoutrements and maybe some Heron Head badge classics from Raleigh. Probably a B-17 Special under that saddle cover. Classy hammered fenders. Love bar-end shifters. Very nice!

I kept saying, "So far..." when posting about backing up with my tray bike rack. I back very slowly and only have one bike. I'm always thinking that Snidely Whiplash is waiting for me to get overconfident.
Looks like it could be a Rivendell from this angle. Glad to see many bicycle lovers here.

·
108 Posts
Looks like it could be a Rivendell from this angle. Glad to see many bicycle lovers here.
Ding ding! We have a winner! 🏆

Going out from the ID.4:
  • Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, in the new Mermaid (slightly metallic green) color. Yes, it's a Brooks B17 Special (slightly thicker leather, I'm heavier than average), always covered when traveling in case of rain. Nitto Noodle bars; nice wide gearing range for towing the trailer. Dynamo lighting, full fenders, Soma Shikoro tires make it dependable in all combinations of time of day/weather/trail conditions.
  • Rivendell Cheviot. Bosco bars, Brooks Cambium saddle. I tend to bother a bit more in adding some "blingy" details on my wife's bike, like the hammered fenders. Also dynamo lighting, full fenders, 650B Gravel King tires.
  • Islabikes Beinn 24. Nice lightweight kids' bike with "real" components that actually work right. Daily school commuter, also capable for longer efforts. He's done up to about 30 miles in a day on it, not bad for an 8 year old!
  • WeeHoo trailer, showing its age a bit. Our 3 year old can pedal or nap as needed. The single wheel means the passenger gets a feel for leaning into turns, and we can navigate rougher trails and descend at speed much more ably than a 2 wheeled trailer. As "advertised" by the plate tied on the safety triangle, our oldest rode in it the entire length of the Erie Canal when he was 4. Tow bar and warning flag are in the trunk.

Was that picture taken in Maine?
Close! We were on our way to Maine. This was at the Top Notch Inn in Gorham, NH. We drove up Mt. Washington in the morning. When we got to Maine, all the bikes (and riders!) were very happy on the carriage roads in Acadia National Park.

On-topic content: it's a very tight squeeze getting all of this onto a hanging rack (Saris Glide, which allows trunk access), though it will improve slightly when our youngest graduates from the WeeHoo. I would have preferred a platform style (1UP, etc.) rack, but with the 1.25" receiver the platforms only allow 3 bikes. Now that we've got a (just) functional setup, I'm torn about expending the money and effort to "trade up" to a 2" receiver and platform rack. It's pretty rare that we do a day outing where we're loading up the whole crew like this - usually we start from home, so it's really just vacations - so it doesn't quite feel like we're at the tipping point of gaining enough convenience from the upgrade.

On the Maneuver braking issue: it would be great if a software update could introduce "macros" (to use a techie term) of relevant settings for common use cases like a bike rack, which would do things like deactivate the braking and rear proximity warning until I get back from vacation and turn off "bike rack mode". Also needed: car wash mode, dog mode, camping/stargazing mode (drive functions off, climate on, all lights off). I have a hunch that, for the bike rack at least, I might be able to achieve this by plugging some lights into the wiring harness so that the ID.4 thinks there's a trailer attached. I don't have any lying around, but I might try to borrow some for experimentation.

·
626 Posts
Here is information for you if you wanna research
So how do you guys program the ECU, that it knows you have a towbar, and that it knows to disable to parking sensors, rear collision radar, etc and adjust the ABS and stability control systems when adding a trailer? Seems to me this is a hardware only solution that will still create lots of pain once you try to use it

·
626 Posts
Here
Enjoy.....this not going to be cheap after buying ID4 if not ordered at time of assembly.....this network is SFD protected and it will need certified shop to preform installation of new module and registration to the ID4 system network.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
22 Posts
Have any of you added light wiring (4 pin) for use with the DrawTite hitch?
I just purchased a Tekonsha 119250 wiring module. It uses Split Core Hall-Effect current sensors, so no direct wiring or splicing is needed (and should not void warranties). It will obviously not interface to any control modules like the OEM system (stability control, travel assist,...). I'll try it in the next week or two and report back.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
Someone tested towing a trailer with an ID4 in the mountains. On the whole, the car did well.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
72 Posts
Ding ding! We have a winner! 🏆

Going out from the ID.4:
  • Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, in the new Mermaid (slightly metallic green) color. Yes, it's a Brooks B17 Special (slightly thicker leather, I'm heavier than average), always covered when traveling in case of rain. Nitto Noodle bars; nice wide gearing range for towing the trailer. Dynamo lighting, full fenders, Soma Shikoro tires make it dependable in all combinations of time of day/weather/trail conditions.
  • Rivendell Cheviot. Bosco bars, Brooks Cambium saddle. I tend to bother a bit more in adding some "blingy" details on my wife's bike, like the hammered fenders. Also dynamo lighting, full fenders, 650B Gravel King tires.
  • Islabikes Beinn 24. Nice lightweight kids' bike with "real" components that actually work right. Daily school commuter, also capable for longer efforts. He's done up to about 30 miles in a day on it, not bad for an 8 year old!
  • WeeHoo trailer, showing its age a bit. Our 3 year old can pedal or nap as needed. The single wheel means the passenger gets a feel for leaning into turns, and we can navigate rougher trails and descend at speed much more ably than a 2 wheeled trailer. As "advertised" by the plate tied on the safety triangle, our oldest rode in it the entire length of the Erie Canal when he was 4. Tow bar and warning flag are in the trunk.

Close! We were on our way to Maine. This was at the Top Notch Inn in Gorham, NH. We drove up Mt. Washington in the morning. When we got to Maine, all the bikes (and riders!) were very happy on the carriage roads in Acadia National Park.

On-topic content: it's a very tight squeeze getting all of this onto a hanging rack (Saris Glide, which allows trunk access), though it will improve slightly when our youngest graduates from the WeeHoo. I would have preferred a platform style (1UP, etc.) rack, but with the 1.25" receiver the platforms only allow 3 bikes. Now that we've got a (just) functional setup, I'm torn about expending the money and effort to "trade up" to a 2" receiver and platform rack. It's pretty rare that we do a day outing where we're loading up the whole crew like this - usually we start from home, so it's really just vacations - so it doesn't quite feel like we're at the tipping point of gaining enough convenience from the upgrade.

On the Maneuver braking issue: it would be great if a software update could introduce "macros" (to use a techie term) of relevant settings for common use cases like a bike rack, which would do things like deactivate the braking and rear proximity warning until I get back from vacation and turn off "bike rack mode". Also needed: car wash mode, dog mode, camping/stargazing mode (drive functions off, climate on, all lights off). I have a hunch that, for the bike rack at least, I might be able to achieve this by plugging some lights into the wiring harness so that the ID.4 thinks there's a trailer attached. I don't have any lying around, but I might try to borrow some for experimentation.

Yes, Acadia is a great place for biking. With that crew I'm guessing you didn't climb to the top of Cadillac Mt?

·
108 Posts
Yes, Acadia is a great place for biking. With that crew I'm guessing you didn't climb to the top of Cadillac Mt?
I did consider it for one day when it was just me and the toddler, but after driving up and seeing the narrow lanes/lack of shoulder and the amount of car traffic, I decided against attempting it with the trailer.

·
1 Posts
I bought eTrailer hitch as just installed it. Here are a couple assorted thoughts on the installation process:

(1) The install was easy enough. Removing a bumper cover is always a bit of a pain, but with some patience, it went pretty smoothly. The instructions said it would take about 90 minutes, and that is almost exactly what it took me.
(2) Step 1 of the instructions said that there was 2 screws that needed to be removed with a T10 torx bit, but the screws on my car were actually T15.
(3) I'm not sure that you actually need to do Step 2 at all (removal of screws inside the rear wheel wells). I definitely think that you could get away with not taking out the 2 upper screws. Maybe removing the lower screws allows the wheel well liner to move around a bit to help get the bumper cover off, but if I were going to do it all over again, I would probably just leave them all in place, and only remove them if it became necessary at some point.
(4) Step 4 says that you need to remove the taillight cover in order to get to a screw that needs to be removed. On my car, the screw was not covered by the taillight cover, so it was not necessary to remove that cover.

And here are some thoughts on the installed hitch:
(1) As Keowee points out above, the hitch sticks out from the bumper by about an inch. It would have been nice if it was flush, but that's not the end of the world. Other than that, I like how clean the install is.
(2) The hitch receiver is relatively short. I am using it to carry a hitch mounted bike rack, which has a piece that tightens inside of the receiver to keep the rack from rocking around. When I first installed the rack, I inserted it too far into the receiver, so the part that expands to tighten it into place actually came out the back side of the receiver so I wasn't able to get it to tighten. Once I realized what was happening, it was an easy fix (just don't insert it so far into the receiver).
(3) With the bike rack in the upright position, there is still enough room to open the rear hatch, which is really convenient.
(4) Having the bike rack on the back sets off all of the rear parking sensors, but doesn't seem to create any issues with the rear cross traffic alert or blind spot monitor. The rearview camera is partially blocked, but still useable.
View attachment 5362 View attachment 5363 View attachment 5364 View attachment 5365 View attachment 5366 View attachment 5367 View attachment 5368 View attachment 5369 View attachment 5361
Thanks for the advise and photos. It looks great. My local VW parts guy has put together a parts list of the entire hitch components of the 1st edition. I might decide on one or the other. The etrailer hitch on yours looks better than stock 1st edition.

·
19 Posts
Thanks for the advise and photos. It looks great. My local VW parts guy has put together a parts list of the entire hitch components of the 1st edition. I might decide on one or the other. The etrailer hitch on yours looks better than stock 1st edition.
I considered the stock hitch too. It’s expensive though. And it wouldn’t have worked with my existing bike rack since it’s only a 1.25” receiver. The eTrailer one is a 2” and only cost about $250.

·
22 Posts
I just purchased a Tekonsha 119250 wiring module. It uses Split Core Hall-Effect current sensors, so no direct wiring or splicing is needed (and should not void warranties). It will obviously not interface to any control modules like the OEM system (stability control, travel assist,...). I'll try it in the next week or two and report back.
I completed this install tonight. Works great. I created a separate thread detailing the full install.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts