Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the USB-C ports in the front/rear are just simple charging ports, or if they support the power delivery (PD) spec?

The Model Y supports 9V/3A charging for up to 27 watts, and it would be good to know if the ID.4 has something similar, or possibly even supports the 15V or 20V power delivery levels, which would be great for charging a laptop without needing a separate 12V car charger.

I would assume the ID.3 and ID.4 share the same hardware behind the dash on these USB ports, so maybe an ID.3 owner has figured it out or tested it, or someone has talked about this in a YouTube review that I haven't seen yet.

ID.4 Pro S RWD
Does anyone know if the USB-C ports in the front/rear are just simple charging ports, or if they support the power delivery (PD) spec?
The owners manual that was posted a couple weeks ago says "The USB port supplies the customary USB voltage of 5 volts," so I'd say no to USB-PD. I think you can probably only count on 10W.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answering my own question here for anyone that searches and finds this post. I brought along a USB-C voltage/power meter with me on a test drive today, and plugged in my iPhone over USB-C in the car.

On a capable charger at home, you can watch the iPhone negotiate up from the standard 5 volts to 9 volts. Unfortunately, in the ID.4, this didn't happen- it stayed at 5 volts. It does not look like power delivery (PD) is supported. I will try again to double check once I actually have my own car, as my phone might have been at too high a charge level to do the voltage negotiation.

So forget charging your laptop in the car then. :( I like that the Hyundai Ioniq 5 will come with 230/110V outlet to turn your car into a mobile office when needed. I wish other manufacturers would do the same.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
So forget charging your laptop in the car then. :( I like that the Hyundai Ioniq 5 will come with 230/110V outlet to turn your car into a mobile office when needed. I wish other manufacturers would do the same.
My 2017 Golf Alltrack has a 110V outlet in the trunk, I was really hoping the ID.4 would have that too :(

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
If you forget about the Project 45 car which has almost all the options (60k AWD LR), Interior outlet is only available on the most expensive spec "Top Line" and exterior 230v socket (V2L) is also an additional option only for the topline edition. Which has a starting price of 鈧54k with VAT for the RWD/SR and 鈧60k AWD/LR. Add another 5k for possible options like paint/rims/pano/tow hitch/heatpump and the external socket.

Reactions: ChristophW and Kitt

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Related: The console charge mat is working well for my iPhone 12. Nicely annunciates that it is doing so.
The mat area supposedly also enhances antenna reception but I've had no way to test.

My iPhone came with a Lightning to USB-C cable so I leave that in the console but likely never to be needed. Well, perhaps to charge an iPad.

I also got a C-to-C cable that back seat folks may use.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For someone that owns the car- is there a 12 volt outlet near the front passenger seat? Is there one in still available in front, or only in the cargo area? As long as there is still a 12 volt outlet available, USB-PD capable plug-in chargers are readily available that can charge a laptop.

ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
For someone that owns the car- is there a 12 volt outlet near the front passenger seat? Is there one in still available in front, or only in the cargo area? As long as there is still a 12 volt outlet available, USB-PD capable plug-in chargers are readily available that can charge a laptop.
The manual says the 12-volt socket is in luggage compartment. I did not check on test drive.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
The manual says the 12-volt socket is in luggage compartment. I did not check on test drive.
View attachment 2145
Yeah, there is one there. That's the only one I know of in the car. If you needed to inflate a tire, that's going to be the only place to plug in the compressor.

Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
Answering my own question here for anyone that searches and finds this post. I brought along a USB-C voltage/power meter with me on a test drive today, and plugged in my iPhone over USB-C in the car.
Did you happen to check whether they are all switched power? I'm planning to keep a dashcam plugged into one of the front ones. Not a big deal either way since the camera lets you auto shut off if unswitched but it would be good to know.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you happen to check whether they are all switched power? I'm planning to keep a dashcam plugged into one of the front ones. Not a big deal either way since the camera lets you auto shut off if unswitched but it would be good to know.
I did not check, since I was only on a test drive. I鈥檇 also be interested in knowing. Definitely something easier to test as an owner with some spare time with the car.

ID.4 1st Edition
I ran a test with an app on my iPhone and found that the two front USB-C ports only deliver 3.5 watts. Does that sound possible? If so, can someone confirm that? Is there any way to increase that?

The same app shows that the ports in the rear deliver 8.5 watts. I don鈥檛 get it.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran a test with an app on my iPhone and found that the two front USB-C ports only deliver 3.5 watts. Does that sound possible? If so, can someone confirm that? Is there any way to increase that?

The same app shows that the ports in the rear deliver 8.5 watts. I don鈥檛 get it.
As far as I know, there is nothing in the iOS SDK that directly exposes the charge rate to an application, so whatever app you used can only really guess based on battery percentage and time. Android provides access to this but iOS does not. What percentage was your phone battery showing when you tested? Was your screen on or off? Were both tests run under exactly these same conditions, same length of time, etc.?

Keep in mind that just as the car slows down when DC fast charging at high state of charge, so does your phone.

The best way to measure the rate of power delivered is via a USB power meter, and I was seeing 8-10 watts when I tested and verified it was only able to provide power at the 5V level. I will test again if my First Edition car ever shows up...

If the USB-C port doesn鈥檛 support PD or more complex USB data, then the spec says it must be capable of delivering either 1.5 A (7.5 W) or 3.0 A (15 W). A lot of devices (e.g. iPhone) will back off a little from this max to avoid hitting the limit or due to cable resistances that cause the voltage seen by the device to droop.

I鈥檓 hoping to be able to test drive one (and test this out) soon, but fingers crossed they support 3.0 A if people are measuring 10 W in their testing.

ID.4 1st Edition
I have an Ohsnap 鈥淪napcharge鈥 that I am using with their car grip on the center vent. Plugged into the front USB charge outlets (using a USB-A to C adapter), it won鈥檛 provide any power to the phone. But when plugged into the rear outlets, it powers the phone. I can鈥檛 tell yet how much power it鈥檚 drawing though. According to their FAQ, Snapcharge requires a 15W power source to work.

VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the USB-C port doesn鈥檛 support PD or more complex USB data, then the spec says it must be capable of delivering either 1.5 A (7.5 W) or 3.0 A (15 W). A lot of devices (e.g. iPhone) will back off a little from this max to avoid hitting the limit or due to cable resistances that cause the voltage seen by the device to droop.

I鈥檓 hoping to be able to test drive one (and test this out) soon, but fingers crossed they support 3.0 A if people are measuring 10 W in their testing.
Now that I finally have my car, I was able to spend a bit more time testing this last night. I measured 5.0 V and 2.38 A (~11.9 W) last night using a USB-C power meter with an iPhone 8+ at 30% charge. So it seems safe to assume it could provide up to 3 amps.

ID.4 1st Edition
Now that I finally have my car, I was able to spend a bit more time testing this last night. I measured 5.0 V and 2.38 A (~11.9 W) last night using a USB-C power meter with an iPhone 8+ at 30% charge. So it seems safe to assume it could provide up to 3 amps.
Front and rear are the same?

ID.4 1st Edition
This was front. I can try and test the rear some time, but I never sit back there. :)
My guess is they have a higher power output, but I can鈥檛 confirm it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts