Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this and thought it was interesting. These guys are a big used car mover here in Florida and they have a FE for sale with almost 400 miles on it. And the interesting thing is that they are asking $46,999 for it....more than MSRP and I am assuming without the $7500 tax credit. Would be interesting to know the history on this one and how it wound up for sale so new. Carfax says it was sold and then back up for sale fast...someone must have really hated it!

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 1st Edition RWD RWD Sport Utility

Just thought it was interesting

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
Carfax says it was sold and then back up for sale fast...someone must have really hated it!
Either that, or someone thought they could flip it for a profit. That happens sometimes to high demand cars, but they priced it as if there was no 7500$ rebate.

Or someone bought it for the tax credit and then sold it hoping that the paper trail doesn't catch up with them as far as the IRS requirement for how long they have to own the vehicle!

Reactions: RocketVol

Super Moderator
Or someone bought it for the tax credit and then sold it hoping that the paper trail doesn't catch up with them as far as the IRS requirement for how long they have to own the vehicle!
How long do you have to keep it? I don't think the new owner can get it if the car has been titled already. Does that mean the tax credit goes away?

ID.4 Pro S AWD
How long do you have to keep it? I don't think the new owner can get it if the car has been titled already. Does that mean the tax credit goes away?
Regulations are very ambiguous. All it states is:
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
All it really eliminates is resellers (not individuals). I am sure the IRS would look into any events where someone flipped it but guessing if the original intent was for own use than not sure how much enforcement they would have. Either way, the second buyer would definitely not be able to claim the credit.

For California CVRP, there is a 30 months hold requirement and they will pro-rate the rebate if you own/lease less than 30 months.

I don't believe there is one. States have requirements for their own incentives, but flipping a car and keeping the fed incentive has been done for a long time. I remember it was really bad when the Model 3 came out. Tons of brand new cars were hitting the used market, with people saying they ordered two and only "decided to keep" one.

Yes as TT97 responded, I think I was thinking of state-level requirements. The IRS has this qualifier which is ambiguous. Whoever bought this particular example is circumventing the intent of the tax credit in my opinion.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.

Reactions: Spin

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was originally sold in St Augustine, now for sale in Orlando, and carfax said it went thru an auction. There are no state incentives in Florida so no flip money to be made there.

And it is funny that someone can buy this one, keep it for a month, sell it, it go through an auction, get bought again, and then listed for sale on the lot all BEFORE my FE got to to the dealer :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::oops:

ID.4 Pro S AWD
And it is funny that someone can buy this one, keep it for a month, sell it, it go through an auction, get bought again, and then listed for sale on the lot all BEFORE my FE got to to the dealer :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
I don't know if "funny" is the correct term to use.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Found this and thought it was interesting. These guys are a big used car mover here in Florida and they have a FE for sale with almost 400 miles on it. And the interesting thing is that they are asking $46,999 for it....more than MSRP and I am assuming without the $7500 tax credit. Would be interesting to know the history on this one and how it wound up for sale so new. Carfax says it was sold and then back up for sale fast...someone must have really hated it!

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 1st Edition RWD RWD Sport Utility

Just thought it was interesting
I'm still wondering about the two ID.4s a Houston used car dealer has been selling. It originally came up on a different thread, the dealer was asking $56,000 at that time. He got a second one but appeared to lower the prices to $53,000. It looks like he sold the original car he had (a blue 1st Edition) but still has a Black FE, though has lowered the price to $50K.

It disturbs me that someone apparently paid more than retail for a "used" ID.4 from a dealer, and I believe that the buyer doesn't even get things like the 3 free years of charging (I believe that is only for the original owner).

If someone has a CarFax subscription, I'd be interested to see the history on this car.

Whoever bought this particular example is circumventing the intent of the tax credit in my opinion.
Why?
If the original buyer has enough tax credit space left in their tax liability, they can proceed to purchase (and resell if they truly don't like it) another vehicle.
Isn't that the stimulus that is desired ?
If people who don't qualify for the tax credit can then get an almost new ID.4 for say, 38k, what's wrong with that?

Why?
If the original buyer has enough tax credit space left in their tax liability, they can proceed to purchase (and resell if they truly don't like it) another vehicle.
If people who don't qualify for the tax credit can then get an almost new ID.4 for say, 38k, what's wrong with that?
Maybe the fact it is being sold for $47K?

Why?
It has 374 miles on it meaning barely driven. You willing to dump thousands (sales tax, destination charge, dealer fees, buying at retail and selling at wholesale) after buying a car and driving for 374 miles? This has flip written all over it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked mine up from the dealer and he told me that they sold their demonstrator (blue FE) when someone walked in and offered $10K over MSRP and they took it. They have pretty much sold every non-reserved ID.4 within a day or two of getting it in.

Reactions: egsell
1 - 19 of 19 Posts