Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CarNet used to have location functionality built into it the app prior to the release of the ID4 and this is a feature that is sorely missed after having it for the past 4 years. So I’m interested to know if anyone is using Apple AirTags as a security device to track their car for theft and security purposes. It seems like a great fitness for purpose.

·
382 Posts
CarNet used to have location functionality built into it the app prior to the release of the ID4 and this is a feature that is sorely missed after having it for the past 4 years. So I’m interested to know if anyone is using Apple AirTags as a security device to track their car for theft and security purposes. It seems like a great fitness for purpose.
Aren't you talking about the Safe & Secure add-on that is available for Car-net, even for the ID.4? Or are you talking about the app previously showing you where you last parked?

·
ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I mean a feature for location tracking that was previously in the Car-Net app for those of us who had the e-Golf or another VW over the last 5 years. I’m not sure what any new add-on will provide, and with all the features stripped out of the present version of the app, I have with little confidence in additionally paying for something that used to be provided as part of Car-Net. My question is more focused on asking whether anyone is using or thinking of using Apple AirTags to track their vehicle. If so what has been their experience? What do folks think of the idea? It seems like a very low cost and highly accurate way to know the location of your car. For example if you’ve forgotten where you parked it in a large mall, or even for tracking the car if a service team has decided to take it for a spin whilst it is supposed to be in the shop.

·
4 Posts
I have Apple AirTags for my keys and wallet. I do not think that they would work that well as I understand it. I think they rely on Bluetooth and possibly near field communication for tracking. I think you would have to relay on an iPhone user to walk past your car to be able to figure out where your car is.

AirTags saved me. I was visiting someone in the hospital. They were in the chair and I sitting on the bed without sheets. While I ran to the bathroom, they made the bed and moved her to the bed. I eventually figured out that I did not have my keys. I ran out to my vehicle and down by the desk where I signed in. Eventually, I thought of the AirTag. I tried it on the first level. Nothing was found. This may be like what you would see trying to track a vehicle. Then, I moved upstairs near the hospital room. It started finding the keys. The keys ended up being made up into the bed. I would never have found them.

·
0 Posts
I have Apple AirTags for my keys and wallet. I do not think that they would work that well as I understand it. I think they rely on Bluetooth and possibly near field communication for tracking. I think you would have to relay on an iPhone user to walk past your car to be able to figure out where your car is.

AirTags saved me. I was visiting someone in the hospital. They were in the chair and I sitting on the bed without sheets. While I ran to the bathroom, they made the bed and moved her to the bed. I eventually figured out that I did not have my keys. I ran out to my vehicle and down by the desk where I signed in. Eventually, I thought of the AirTag. I tried it on the first level. Nothing was found. This may be like what you would see trying to track a vehicle. Then, I moved upstairs near the hospital room. It started finding the keys. The keys ended up being made up into the bed. I would never have found them.
I use AirTags on my kids' e-bikes. Makes it very easy to locate them (both kid and bike) when I need to. They work astonishingly well.

·
222 Posts
I think that using an AirTag as a cheap LoJack is an interesting idea.

If AirTag is just to find the car in the parking lot, Apple Maps already shows parked car location. To find it and enable it in iOS 14, it got a bit complicated in a Privacy app lockdown.

For me (iPhone 12 mini), it is not there in Maps settings, even though using search in Settings app indicates it is. The last answer solved it for me. I had the options toggled off:

Using iOS 14.4.1 Settings>Maps>Show… - Apple Community

·
190 Posts
I wouldn't rely on an AirTag in the wild for location tracking. You are basically betting that someone else with an iPhone will be within range of your vehicle when you need to track it. If there aren't any iPhone users nearby it, the AirTag won't be seen.

If you were tracking a wallet or a purse in a metro area, it makes more sense. If you were to track your cat and it ran into the woods, the AirTag isn't usable unless an iPhone-equipped hiker happens to walk by.

·
White Pro S
256 Posts
i've got an android phone in my car for evnotify. basically as long as my car is online i can access its location through the app. i'm going to be adding a fuse tap and stashing it under the dash. voila.

·
115 Posts
I wouldn't rely on an AirTag in the wild for location tracking. You are basically betting that someone else with an iPhone will be within range of your vehicle when you need to track it. If there aren't any iPhone users nearby it, the AirTag won't be seen.

If you were tracking a wallet or a purse in a metro area, it makes more sense. If you were to track your cat and it ran into the woods, the AirTag isn't usable unless an iPhone-equipped hiker happens to walk by.
It depends on the robustness of the network of devices. I had a boss that put a tile in her elderly mother in law’s car for when they had trouble finding her. Once, they couldn’t find her and the Tile tracked her to the beach 3 hrs away. There are a lot more Apple devices than there are Tiles, so I think that it could be useful. A lot cheaper than a LoJack, that’s for sure. I had it on one SUV and never used it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts