Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to embark on our first long road trip in our ID4. In preparing for the trip, we thought it would be helpful to familiarize ourselves with what to do in case we have a flat tire. So we have looked at the instructions and gotten out the contents of the breakdown kit. But two of the things it mentions are a Spare valve core and a Valve core extractor. we can't locate either of these things in the kit. can anyone give us a sense of where they might be, or whether they are actually necessary to make the repair?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,640 Posts
I have never extracted a valve core to ol' school plug/fill a tire. But then I have also never used the "goop" (only one prior car to date had same and for that one I bought a donut spare for roadtrips; goop likely would have fouled the TPMS sensors within its tires).

I presume this core extraction is because you want all the "goop" to more easily and fully be injected into a very low pressure tire and removing same will more quickly and assuredly deflate. And the goop can will better inject without the valve core in the way. Once a valve core is removed it's usually best to replace, but not really necessary if you're careful with the extraction.

The extractor tool and spare core should of course be in the kit but I've not looked. Hopefully someone else has investigated and/or used.

My guess is that these two parts are within the goop can shrink-wrap packaging:
Gas Lid Auto part Bottle Cylinder

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. yes, that is our understanding as well. We thought they might be in that shrink-wrapped can but didn't want to open it up until we needed it. So just looking for confirmation from someone who's actually used. the kit

·
2021 RWD Pro S, Galaxy White Metallic
95 Posts
I just had a screw in my tire and had to use the tire repair kit. The compressor they give you is utter trash imo. The air hose was not properly seated in the compressor, preventing it from properly inflating. Test it first if you haven’t. I had to buy a cheap inflator from Walmart when I have a robust, trustworthy portable inflator from dewalt at home. I’m even an Eagle Scout so I know to always be prepared. Check it out and imo splurge on the DeWalt, it’s worth every penny.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your real-world experience! We already have another tire inflator, perhaps we should bring it as well. Did you find and use the valve core extractor?

·
2021 RWD Pro S, Galaxy White Metallic
95 Posts
Thanks for your real-world experience! We already have another tire inflator, perhaps we should bring it as well. Did you find and use the valve core extractor?
I would bring the other inflator. I did not extract the valve core. Seemed like too much could go wrong, I just kept pulling over and filling it up as I limped to a tire service station. They patched me up for a reasonable fee.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
I highly recommend carrying a tire plug kit. These have patched me up numerous times and (usually) remain good for the life of the tire.

The problem is they often require an extraordinary amount of physical effort to insert. It's easiest to do it with the wheel dismounted so the tool can be plunged straight down into the puncture. Installing these while the tire is mounted can be highly challenging, borderline impossible in certain scenarios.

Of course this necessitates carrying a jack and a lug wrench -- additional barriers many owners aren't going to want to deal with.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,893 Posts
Of course this necessitates carrying a jack and a lug wrench -- additional barriers many owners aren't going to want to deal with.
Might as well carry a donut too. Take the tire home and plug it!

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,640 Posts
Yep, much easier to plug the tire off the vehicle and in the garage.
Might as well carry a donut too. Take the tire home and plug it!
I highly recommend carrying a tire plug kit. These have patched me up numerous times and (usually) remain good for the life of the tire.

The problem is they often require an extraordinary amount of physical effort to insert. It's easiest to do it with the wheel dismounted so the tool can be plunged straight down into the puncture. Installing these while the tire is mounted can be highly challenging, borderline impossible in certain scenarios.

View attachment 13449

·
2 Posts
We are about to embark on our first long road trip in our ID4. In preparing for the trip, we thought it would be helpful to familiarize ourselves with what to do in case we have a flat tire. So we have looked at the instructions and gotten out the contents of the breakdown kit. But two of the things it mentions are a Spare valve core and a Valve core extractor. we can't locate either of these things in the kit. can anyone give us a sense of where they might be, or whether they are actually necessary to make the repair?

thanks
You can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,640 Posts
I just had a closer look at the MY2021 inflator/goop kit. I did not see a valve core extractor nor a spare core in the clear plastic that encapsulates the "goop" can, nor anywhere else in the kit.

On also taking a closer look at the directions placard on the compressor it indicates to me that the goop must be conveyed by external compressed air. The yellow plastic top of the can has a male connector for same and the compressor has a lip area to hold the can by that yellow top, in its inverted position, after attaching the compressor's hose to same. The can's hose then connects to the flat tire's valve stem. Power up the compressor to spray in the goop.

So they either value engineered the self-pressure out of the can itself, or in fairness it holds more goop as innately non-pressurized. I'll likely never use this kit but interesting configuration none the less.
Thanks. yes, that is our understanding as well. We thought they might be in that shrink-wrapped can but didn't want to open it up until we needed it. So just looking for confirmation from someone who's actually used. the kit

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well then it's a mystery where the valve core extractor is located! We are back from our trip and luckily didn't have a flat, so didnt need to use the kit. If anyone finds it and uses it please let me know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts