Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm about to activate Electrify America on a new Pro S, and at the advice of some others, I'm going to create a separate email address and EA account for the car that I could easily transfer to a new owner.

Has anyone else done this, and are there any downsides? I noticed this on the EA app: "If you have multiple Electrify America accounts, any changes you make to your profile information will be reflected across all accounts."

Do I have to make sure to use a different name and phone number on the new EA account in order to keep it from getting linked to my main one? I was planning on having the same phone number on both accounts, but different email addresses.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,259 Posts
The 3-year free EA service is linked to the original owner via VIN (the sales person calls EA on delivery day and so links same with an EA-provided code). Only the original owner qualifies.

14+ months ago I actually had to activate mine myself later that day on my older iPad (with the code my salesman gave me) as at the time there was an issue with the then iPhone 12 which was soon rectified by iOS and EA App update.
Hello everyone,

I'm about to activate Electrify America on a new Pro S, and at the advice of some others, I'm going to create a separate email address and EA account for the car that I could easily transfer to a new owner.

Has anyone else done this, and are there any downsides? I noticed this on the EA app: "If you have multiple Electrify America accounts, any changes you make to your profile information will be reflected across all accounts."

Do I have to make sure to use a different name and phone number on the new EA account in order to keep it from getting linked to my main one? I was planning on having the same phone number on both accounts, but different email addresses.

·
953 Posts
Hello everyone,

Well, I suppose the main down side if you’re an ethical person is that you’re deliberately violating the terms of service you agree to when you sign up for a free charging account with EA. The free EA charging isn’t legally transferable to another owner, and if they catch you, EA could sue you and ask for restitution and damages. How likely is that? Who knows? I’d be surprised if they don’t have checks in place beyond just an email address to deal with the unethical people in the world who will try to get away with what they think they can get away with if they think it’s not likely they’ll be caught.

·
133 Posts
On a side note: from what I understand, if you have multiple ID4s, you MUST create different EA accounts using different email addresses................as it is currently not possible to put both ID4 free charging plans on one EA account.

To the original poster: once plug and charge starts working after the software updates, I wouldn't be surprised that if the VIN of the car doesn't match the one on the account, free charging will not work. So the idea to transfer the account to another person to get them free charging may have problems (in the future) if the vehicle doesn't match the account.

·
'21 iD4 Pro S
11 Posts
On a side note: from what I understand, if you have multiple ID4s, you MUST create different EA accounts using different email addresses................as it is currently not possible to put both ID4 free charging plans on one EA account.

To the original poster: once plug and charge starts working after the software updates, I wouldn't be surprised that if the VIN of the car doesn't match the one on the account, free charging will not work. So the idea to transfer the account to another person to get them free charging may have problems (in the future) if the vehicle doesn't match the account.
We own a pair of ID4s. When the EA accounts were setup one was using my email, the other my wife's. After setting up the accounts, we were able to "add" one another's cars to our individual accounts; thus being able to manage both cars from either.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (4/20/2021) & Pro/S (8/20/21)
425 Posts
We own a pair of ID4s. When the EA accounts were setup one was using my email, the other my wife's. After setting up the accounts, we were able to "add" one another's cars to our individual accounts; thus being able to manage both cars from either.
Same here - I have both EA “cards” in my wallet. Both work on either. One is four months older than the other - but other than that, the same.

·
8 Posts
My wife and I are co-owners of an ID.4. I set up the EA app and account on my phone in my name, email, and phone number but now i can't set up the EA app on her phone with her info. It keeps giving me the message that there is a mismatch in enrollment code and VIN and to verify and try again. I did enter each correctly. I have concluded that it won't allow a second account on the same enrollment code and VIN but it really should have given a useful message instead of a misleading one.

·
8 Posts
How does EA know your charging the ID.4. Say you have a Rivian, Tesla, BMW iX and and ID.4. Can you switch cars on app? In the past I've just plugged in car, then swiped to start charging at EA.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,906 Posts
How does EA know your charging the ID.4. Say you have a Rivian, Tesla, BMW iX and and ID.4. Can you switch cars on app? In the past I've just plugged in car, then swiped to start charging at EA.
I've been told that currently they can't with the ID.4 via PnC or any sort of discrete identification, but that they know it's NOT an ID.4 based on the charging curve. I presume that's the case with other cars as well, as I'd guess each has sort of a unique charging signature. Of course, the Mustang Mach E has already deployed Plug n Charge so I'm assuming that's a situation where the specific VIN is identified. But I've also been told as of a few months ago that VW has not pursued any action against free charging cheaters, but they're aware of them, and could terminate their free charging plans for TOU violations. I don't know why they wouldn't just nip that in the bud right away. Maybe biding time waiting for PnC to do it for them?

·
1 Posts
Why would you need a second account? Just put the same account on both phones.

ga2500ev
It was not a need but a want. I did put the same account on both phones. My complaint was a about the unhelpful and misleading message that caused me to waste time. Can't help you if you don't understand why a spouse might want their account for their car to be in their name.

·
138 Posts
The ID4 can only be on one account. And yes I do understand about the wife wanting to have her own access. I often get earfuls about that exact topic.

ga2500ev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts