Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Verizon data plan: if I don’t connect to it, what’s consuming data?

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Johnny_id4 
#1 ·
I got a note from Verizon that I’ve consumed half of my 1024 MB data allotmen. As I’ve connected zero devices to the Verizon hot spot, what has been consuming data?

#2 ·
Don't know, but a few have reported being cut off after 2 weeks. I wonder if there was a goof and VZW is counting all ID4 telematics against the hot spot credit? We used it a couple times for the kids to jump on a zoom for a short time, but not enough to eat up our free allotment.

#7 ·
I am not a Verizon customer, but found this on the FAQ page for pre-paid connected car wifi: Prepaid Connected Car Wi-Fi FAQs
It indicates, unless I am reading it wrong, that it is unlimited data for $20/month, without having to be an existing Verizon customer. I am considering this option so my kids can use their iPads in the car when traveling. If I am incorrect in my assumption, please let me know.

#8 ·
I just partially went through the process and it looks like non Verizon subscribers are billed through carnet rather than VZ. $20 plus applicable taxes, doesn't appear anything else is required.

#12 ·
That's what makes sense but as we should know by now things are often non-sensical. After losing my hotspot within two weeks without connecting anything to it, the info I found was the same as you responded to stating the devices will prioritize their hotspot data rather than device data if it's available when using CarPlay or AA. I don't know why it's set up that way but it apparently burned through my free data within a week.

#14 ·
Being android it is always highly dependent on the model of phone and version of android that's running. In cases where the phone establishes a wifi-direct connection, the car's hotspot data will not come into play. However, if it is not using wifi-direct, it is joining the hotspot network and talking with the car that way.

I've seen it first hand, AA automatically connects my phone to the car's wifi. Before my hotspot ran out, spotify streaming via AA did not cause my data usage to increase. Additionally, there are a number of help articles on enabling automatic use of mobile data under the wifi advanced settings to be able to get an internet connection.

I don't have an iPhone to test first hand, but google shows a number of discussions on apple support and various car forums of people running into no internet when the use wireless carplay and a car without a data plan.

So all in all there is no one answer, it depends....

#20 ·
This is very confusing. What I really want to know is what will stop working when Verizon‘s 30 day trial ends? What functions that I had on delivery will stop working? When we know that we can decide if $20 a month is worth it or necessary for using the features. Personally, I have unlimited on my iPhone with T-Mobile and would rather not start another cell account With Verizon.

#22 ·
I got an email from Volkswagen Car-Net only FOUR DAYS after picking up the car that my WiFi trial has ended. I don't need the service and will just my devices for a hotspot when necessary, but seems kind of short for a trial.

#24 ·
You’ll lose integral WiFi Hotspot, which some folks like for backseat passengers and their tablets. Of course you can set up your own cellphone to do same.

You’ll still have Car-Net vehicle pre-conditioning, which is all I need from the App. Also some remote battery settings/status and a basic charger mapping, which I don’t much use.

#28 ·
Car data with VZN for the car is to connect external devices to the car for data to surf the net or whatever you want to do. In addition, keep in mind that you also need this VZN data and pay the Radio Plus (internet radio) from the CarNet app to have internet radio working.

Your Android Auto and Apple Carplay still works with the car with or without the VZN data plan for the car. You just need to pair your phone to the head unit so that it is connected by Bluetooth and WiFi.

Hopes this provide more clarity for some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.