Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Francisco is famous for it's hills, and some of the streets, with grades > 30% are breathtaking to drive on (up or down).
Since the ID4 is so heavy, would you have any concern about driving up the steepest hills on RWD?
What about parking? Is the "emergency brake" strong enough on those same streets?

Thanks much.

2022 ID.4 Pro-S w/Gradient
70 Posts
The parking brake better be strong enough, right? I can tell you that there must be a specification for this condition because there is an error that can be thrown "Parking Brake: Incline is too steep". I've only see this in the preparation to being towed off on a flatbed--the ID4 was attached to a winch pulling it up the bed, then the parking brake put on before the bed was leveled.

Brakes are for stopping, secondarily for holding. I figure if the ID4 had terrible stopping distance numbers you might have a concern, but it doesn't so you shouldn't.

And doubly thankfully, it looks like SFDOT makes parking on most of those steepest streets parallel to the fall line, not parallel.

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
San Francisco is famous for it's hills, and some of the streets, with grades > 30% are breathtaking to drive on (up or down).
Since the ID4 is so heavy, would you have any concern about driving up the steepest hills on RWD?
What about parking? Is the "emergency brake" strong enough on those same streets?

Thanks much.
Trucks and buses drive those streets. My 1999 Jetta parks on those streets, with a manual transmission, and parking brakes I can overpower in 1st gear.

But I would turn the wheel into the curb. We don't want to do anything stupid.

If your brakes can't hold the vehicle on a 30 degree grade, there is something wrong.

· Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
1,109 Posts
It's kind of puzzling to me why the ID.4 (or any EVs?) has no mechanical parking pawl of some kind. But turn your wheels into the curb and you'll be fine.

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,945 Posts
It's kind of puzzling to me why the ID.4 has no mechanical parking pawl of some kind.
Blessing and curse.

Parking pawl is the one mechanical failure I experienced on my previous i3 (though not a commonly reported fault by other owners).

However we've seen on this forum the occasional post about a roll-away ID.4.

Choices, choices...

71 Posts
The parking brake better be strong enough, right? I can tell you that there must be a specification for this condition because there is an error that can be thrown "Parking Brake: Incline is too steep". I've only see this in the preparation to being towed off on a flatbed--the ID4 was attached to a winch pulling it up the bed, then the parking brake put on before the bed was leveled.

Brakes are for stopping, secondarily for holding. I figure if the ID4 had terrible stopping distance numbers you might have a concern, but it doesn't so you shouldn't.

And doubly thankfully, it looks like SFDOT makes parking on most of those steepest streets parallel to the fall line, not parallel.
Perpendicular?

· Super Moderator
6,112 Posts
Always advisable in San Fran! Essentially using the tire as a rubber chock. I even use chocks in my ~level garage when jacking/working, so .... (y)

btw: When headed uphill that is actually steering the wheels away from the curb so that the rear of the tire wedges into the curb when backed a bit, again like a chock. I prefer that to wedging the rear tires as more 'bite' while vehicle remains closer to parallel. Of course headed downhill steered into curb.
I would turn the wheel into the curb.
turn your wheels into the curb and you'll be fine.

1,601 Posts

Thanks much.
You always “Curb your wheels”, right?

50 Posts
I have thought about this issue in the past week, as my 2023 Pro S AWD sits at my local dealership awaiting installation of a new front motor (at 3700 miles driven). I live at the top of a steep hill that represents an increase in elevation of about 400 feet within a mile from its start. Could this rapid increase in elevation, which I drive daily, sometimes multiple times daily, have had some impact on the failure of my front motor?

5,945 Posts
Could this rapid increase in elevation, which I drive daily, sometimes multiple times daily, have had some impact on the failure of my front motor?
Could... but doubtful. There seems to be a disproportionate share of early front motor failures reported here.

5,945 Posts
...the motor shouldn't fail after 3700 miles.
It shouldn't, but it sure seems like there was either a bad run if them, or misassembled, or needed a redesign. Owners began reporting front motor troubles almost as soon as the AWDs began delivery.

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,327 Posts
I also live at the top of a steep hill that rises 700' in a half a mile. No problems yet in 11 months and 7500 mi. of mostly short trips that daily go up and down that hill.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP here. Thanks for the comments.
With regarding to driving up those hills, no problem? I guess that what scares me the most. But maybe someone can tell me that the new ID4 has more power to get up the hill than my 2006 Honda Accord.

50 Posts
OP here. Thanks for the comments.
With regarding to driving up those hills, no problem? I guess that what scares me the most. But maybe someone can tell me that the new ID4 has more power to get up the hill than my 2006 Honda Accord.
Until the front motor failed, I never had a problem getting up the hill. And it is quite steep.

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,327 Posts
But maybe someone can tell me that the new ID4 has more power to get up the hill than my 2006 Honda Accord.
Yes the VW has more torque which equals hill climbing power, and it has far higher torque starting from 0 mph while the honda needs to get up to higher speeds to get some torque. My hill is steeper than the 30% grades you can find in SF and is no problem at all. Even though mine is an AWD which has 50% more power, you will still have plenty with RWD.

10 Posts
Always advisable in San Fran! Essentially using the tire as a rubber chock. I even use chocks in my ~level garage when jacking/working, so .... (y)

btw: When headed uphill that is actually steering the wheels away from the curb so that the rear of the tire wedges into the curb when backed a bit, again like a chock. I prefer that to wedging the rear tires as more 'bite' while vehicle remains closer to parallel. Of course headed downhill steered into curb.
This is one of those cases where it is easier to talk with your hands than it is to explain on the internet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts