Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is known but I wanted to test this out for myself. The ID.4 fully supports playing video/movies back on the infotainment screen from a USB drive. I loaded up the copy of The Matrix that I ripped from my DVD on a usb stick and connected it to the system. I then selected media and navigated to the video’s folder where it was there complete with the movie cover. Clicking on it starts playing it and there is a little expansion icon on the movie cover. From the pictures below you can see it plays “full screen” after clicking this expansion button. Video and audio is very smooth and it shuts off the screen when you start to drive. The only issue I can see is that there is no way to dismiss the menu and controls to the left to go true full screen. Still better than nothing.

From the manual it supports the following video formats. Mine was H.264:
— MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg).
— ISO MPEG4; DivX 3, 4 and 5 Xvid (.avi).
— ISO MPEG4 H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mov).
— Windows Media Video 10 (.wmv, .asf).

“Full screen” view:

View when you get your hand close to the screen:

View while driving:

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I am sure this is known but I wanted to test this out for myself. The ID.4 fully supports playing video/movies back on the infotainment screen from a USB drive. I loaded up the copy of The Matrix that I ripped from my DVD on a usb stick and connected it to the system. I then selected media and navigated to the video’s folder where it was there complete with the movie cover. Clicking on it starts playing it and there is a little expansion icon on the movie cover. From the pictures below you can see it plays “full screen” after clicking this expansion button. Video and audio is very smooth and it shuts off the screen when you start to drive. The only issue I can see is that there is no way to dismiss the menu and controls to the left to go true full screen. Still better than nothing.

“Full screen” view:
View attachment 2460

View attachment 2461

View while driving:
View attachment 2462
did you take the Red or the Blue pill?

·
95 Posts
Cool. Is the 12v battery powering that thing? Also is that possible while charging?

I could see myself putting on a video for the kids while we wait for a fast charge. I would be worried if it's killing the car battery after an hour though.

Did the video resume from the last stop point when you came to a stop?

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cool. Is the 12v battery powering that thing? Also is that possible while charging?
If the ignition is on it uses the traction battery. I.E., you put your foot on the brake pedal or pressed the start button. The part I am not sure about is what happens when you start it and leave the car. Need to test that. As far as charging, like many EV’s you can run everything like HVAC and the radio while it charges so a perfect use would be to stop and charge, start the ignition and turn it on along with any HVAC, kick back with the massage chairs and enjoy. I plan to load up a USB key with a ton of videos. Best Buy has some 256G ones in stock for cheap right now.
I could see myself putting on a video for the kids while we wait for a fast charge. I would be worried if it's killing the car battery after an hour though.
No worries, if the ignition is on. It will maintain load through the traction battery and it uses so very little of that big battery. You won’t notice much while charging, since the DCFC dispenser is providing the juice. This is the use I had in mind as well. I can tell you my last DCFC charge, I hooked up and then turned on everything for the kids and we listened to the radio. Would have had video’s had I known
Did the video resume from the last stop point when you came to a stop?
When you drive away the video still plays the audio portion, however it does not display the video.

UPDATE: If I get out of the car with it playing it pauses and when I sit back in the seat it resumes where I left off. It look like it starts it all over if I completely Stop the car get out lock it and then come back in.

I will test some of the things I was unsure about today on my lunch break and report back.

·
9/23/20 Pro S —> 1/6/21 FE
18 Posts

“Full screen” view:
View attachment 2460

View attachment 2461

View while driving:
View attachment 2462
Dumb question: I assume you have to use a USB-C flash drive?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
In the USA the DOT restricts video play on a front seat integrated device to only when parked, with audio ok on the move. In Europe video is allowed on the move, or at least it used to be?

Thanks for the thorough eval majorgearhead! 👍

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dumb question: I assume you have to use a USB-C flash drive?
Not a dumb question at all. You can use either a USB-C flash drive or a regular USB-A one with a USB-C to USB-A data adapter. For my test I actually used an old style USB-A stick with an Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Ok, then another dumb question, can you use BT to play a video (say iPhone from charge pad; with video already resident on device)?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. You can use either a USB-C flash drive or a regular USB-A one with a USB-C to USB-A data adapter. For my test I actually used an old style USB-A stick with an Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle.
What was the Filesystem on your Thumb Drive? Exfat, Fat32?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts