Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Proud FE owner
Gonna get a lot of use with that in Seattle!

Reactions: egsell and amartko

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
The question I have for you guys is:

Traffic Jam Assist is NOT visible on the spec-list on VW.com. Only Travel Assist, Front Assist and Emergency Assist are there under IQ.Drive

@RocketVol shared his erWin ID4 1st US-spec pdf and it says there "Without traffic jam assist/co-pilot in heavy traffic"

Does this mean it isnt acceleration on its own after a standstill? Because TA with FA will stop the car for you and Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) would then accelerate after few seconds after a standstill

So.. what is it now. Will the US-Spec car brake to 0 and then accelerate on his own with Travel Assist (TA) enabled?

Also the pedal will also "fall" under your feet with an emergency stop 馃槄

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I find this a little confusing. If I turn on both ACC and traffic assist, then this is the sort of behavior I see. But it isn't called traffic jam assist.

For me,, the car will slow down to a complete stop if the car ahead stops, and if they start within a few seconds, the car will start to move again without the need to touch a pedal. If I am stopped for longer, I need to tap the accelerator to begin moving.

And I also get nagged to touch the steering wheel.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me,, the car will slow down to a complete stop if the car ahead stops, and if they start within a few seconds, the car will start to move again without the need to touch a pedal. If I am stopped for longer, I need to tap the accelerator to begin moving.

And I also get nagged to touch the steering wheel.
Having a hand resting on the steering wheel sounds prudent to me. It looks like VW is keeping the driver in the loop, hand on steering wheel, tapping the accelerator after a certain period of time of not moving, etc...remember computers makes mistakes because they are made by "us".;)

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I will say that I haven't tried watching the pedals when ACC is in use. They might move, or they might not.

Proud FE owner
Having a hand resting on the steering wheel sounds prudent to me. It looks like VW is keeping the driver in the loop, hand on steering wheel, tapping the accelerator after a certain period of time of not moving, etc...remember computers makes mistakes because they are made by "us".;)
I think VW believes baby steps will get to autonomous driving faster - especially in respect to the glacial progress NHTSA makes towards vehicle safety approvals.

Reactions: egsell

Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is a side note.

I believe baby steps are not bad when it comes to public safety. I was an airline pilot for decades and during that time I witnessed the adoptions of automation into the cockpit which helps the pilots do a safer job. It seem we had our biggest accidents when we took leaps instead of steps. Case in point, the latest 737 crashes. Just my 2 cents. :oops:

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
There are some other makes (e.g., BMW) that offer something like Traffic Jam Assist outside the U.S., but it's not offered in the U.S. I wonder if the ID.4's ACC/Travel Assist is like the ACC in my Jetta. It will come to a complete stop and will resume all on its own if only a few seconds have transpired between stopping and moving again. If more than a few seconds have transpired, then you have to hit the resume button or tap lightly on the accelerator pedal to get the car moving again. My i3 was the same way with its ACC. I was reading in the U.K. ID.4 owner's manual that Travel Assist will resume moving again after stopping longer then ACC will, so I wonder if this what's being referred to a Traffic Jam Assist??

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
There are some other makes (e.g., BMW) that offer something like Traffic Jam Assist outside the U.S., but it's not offered in the U.S. I wonder if the ID.4's ACC/Travel Assist is like the ACC in my Jetta. It will come to a complete stop and will resume all on its own if only a few seconds have transpired between stopping and moving again. If more than a few seconds have transpired, then you have to hit the resume button or tap lightly on the accelerator pedal to get the car moving again. My i3 was the same way with its ACC. I was reading in the U.K. ID.4 owner's manual that Travel Assist will resume moving again after stopping longer then ACC will, so I wonder if this what's being referred to a Traffic Jam Assist??
Teslas will resume if there is a car in front that moves. If you are the first car at a traffic light, it will only "ding" when the light turns green and you need to press the accelerator to move again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts